Stupid Question Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
liltay357

New

Stupid Question

Post by liltay357 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:49 pm

Hey,

Do you have access to see EXACTLY what your aid package would like like before you decide on a school? For instance I recieved a scholarship but it mentioned nothing about the results of my need based aid from my FAFSA report. Does this mean I wont be offered any need based aid?

Basically will the let me know my total aid award when accepted?

Thanks for the help, follow my cycle on LSN:liltay357
Last edited by liltay357 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Stupid Question

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:54 pm

Depends on the school.

I know some schools do not give any need aid to people who qualify for merit aid.

liltay357

New

Post by liltay357 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:01 pm

Does that mean it would have all been stated in the scholarship letter? Or is it something that is normally sent out seperately?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:12 pm

liltay357 wrote:Does that mean it would have all been stated in the scholarship letter? Or is it something that is normally sent out seperately?
It really depends on the school.

If you are unsure, email and/or call the school to find out.

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:51 pm

liltay357 wrote:Hey,

Do you have access to see EXACTLY what your aid package would like like before you decide on a school? For instance I recieved a scholarship but it mentioned nothing about the results of my need based aid from my FAFSA report. Does this mean I wont be offered any need based aid?

Basically will the let me know my total aid award when accepted?

Thanks for the help, follow my cycle on LSN:liltay357
I was accepted to Wake in december, got a scholarship in january, and last week got my fafsa info.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:46 pm

Most schools do if you applied for need on time (filing FAFSA plus any school specific requirements, like NeedAccess or other forms).

Complete financial aid packages usually include your total cost of attendance, the merit scholarship + need grants (if any) + Fed loans (if any). You should be able receive them before deposit, again if you filed what are needed on time.

liltay357

New

Post by liltay357 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks guys!

R6- do they normally send the info after they have your fafsa and total award package available or do I have to individually request my total aid package from each school. I applied to over 30 schools and really hope they make it available or send it out.

:-)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:06 pm

liltay357 wrote:Thanks guys!

R6- do they normally send the info after they have your fafsa and total award package available or do I have to individually request my total aid package from each school. I applied to over 30 schools and really hope they make it available or send it out.

:-)
Yes they usually do their assessment around this time. If you don't receive anything by mid April, email the schools and ask. There is no reason why you should contemplate putting down a deposit anywhere until you see your package.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”