Late FAFSA/Need Access Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
chasgoose

Silver

Late FAFSA/Need Access

Post by chasgoose » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:46 am

So I wasn't going to send these in because I knew I wouldn't qualify for either due to my parents' income and assets, but now I am realizing that I have to send these forms in in order to be considered for merit aid at many of the schools I applied to/the only one I have been accepted to thus far. Seeing as I am not submitting them to qualify for need-based aid, how much would a late submission hurt me for merit based aid (particularly as I have currently only heard back from one school)?

Working on them now, but still haven't received W-2's from a job I had last year (they are being most difficult about it) so I can't fully complete my 2010 financial information. Also, I stupidly didn't save a copy of my tax returns from last year, and am working to get a copy sent to myself right now. So although I am doing my best to get them done before the March 1 deadline, there is a very real possibility that I won't and I am curious what the consequences might be.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Re: Late FAFSA/Need Access

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:45 am

Get them in before the March 1 deadline. A lot of schools say they won't consider you (or can't promise to consider you) if you submit late.

Many people don't have completed taxes yet, and you can check the box for "estimated 2010 tax forms" on both the Need Access and the FAFSA. This is what you should do- just multiply your monthly salary by 12 if that's the best you can do. I think that it took about an hour on the phone with my dad and then 40 minutes of filling them out online altogether, so you should be able to get them done in the next week.

Return to “Financial Aid”