Parental information on the FAFSA Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
lawpuppy

New

Parental information on the FAFSA

Post by lawpuppy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:08 am

I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but I'm unclear on the answer and reasoning. Some schools, such as Berkeley, request parent information on the FAFSA. Other schools do not. I see people often suggesting not to put parental information if possible, or to amend and remove it. What is the purpose of this? Does FAFSA actually use this parental information to derive your loan eligibility, even though graduate students are considered independent? If not, why remove this parental information?

Thanks!
Last edited by lawpuppy on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Perch

Silver

Re: Parental informaton on the FAFSA

Post by Perch » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:18 am

+1, but more wondering if it is possible to submit the form to all of your schools that don't require it, then ammend and add the info and submit to the ones that do.
Last edited by Perch on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawpuppy

New

Re: Parental informaton on the FAFSA

Post by lawpuppy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:24 am

Perch wrote:+1, but more wondering if it is possible to submit the form to all of your schools who don't require it, then ammend and add the info and submit to the ones who do.
People have suggested that you can do this, but I don't understand why you would. If the school requires parental information, they will already get it elsewhere. If they don't require it, what would it matter if they have it? If they don't require it that would mean they only give merit scholarships, not need-based, so the parental information would just be ignored, right?

Return to “Financial Aid”