Should I apply for need-based at Duke and other schools? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
djeter2

New

Should I apply for need-based at Duke and other schools?

Post by djeter2 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:36 am

Deleted.
Last edited by djeter2 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

2011L1

New

Re: Should I apply for need-based at Duke and other schools?

Post by 2011L1 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:37 am

djeter2 wrote:I am 22 and my parents are divorced. The parent I live with makes about $80,000 per year. That parent claimed me as a dependent last year and will likely do so again this year. I have just finished undergrad and am only making a little bit of money right now. I have several thousand in savings with no student loans.

I am specifically wondering about Duke because their scholarship app (which they mail to everyone after they are admitted) allows you to choose to apply for merit only or need and merit mix. I imagine Duke will get back to me a bit faster if I say I only want them to consider merit when calculating my scholarship. I should also say I hope to get some merit at Duke with my numbers (170, 3.98).

For other schools, is there a typical income threshold? Is 80,000 per year too much to get need-based aid? If I were lucky enough to get into Harvard or Stanford, would 80k be too much there?

Thanks!
No it won't be too much remember you are going up against the children of people with million dollar a year salaries.

swfangirl

Bronze

Re: Should I apply for need-based at Duke and other schools?

Post by swfangirl » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:04 am

djeter2 wrote:I am 22 and my parents are divorced. The parent I live with makes about $80,000 per year. That parent claimed me as a dependent last year and will likely do so again this year. I have just finished undergrad and am only making a little bit of money right now. I have several thousand in savings with no student loans.

I am specifically wondering about Duke because their scholarship app (which they mail to everyone after they are admitted) allows you to choose to apply for merit only or need and merit mix. I imagine Duke will get back to me a bit faster if I say I only want them to consider merit when calculating my scholarship. I should also say I hope to get some merit at Duke with my numbers (170, 3.98).

For other schools, is there a typical income threshold? Is 80,000 per year too much to get need-based aid? If I were lucky enough to get into Harvard or Stanford, would 80k be too much there?

Thanks!
Most schools seem to still count the other parent you don't live with, even if you're estranged. Be mindful of that.

Return to “Financial Aid”