Declaration and Certification of Finances Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
calicocat

Silver

Declaration and Certification of Finances

Post by calicocat » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:52 pm

Question for Canadian students studying in the States,

Being a Canadian citizen, I am not eligible for federal loans so I had to take out a private US loan. However, this loan only provides funds on a year by year basis and in order to process an I-20 and get a visa I need to prove funds for the full cost of attendance in my Declaration and Certification of Finances. I am wondering how this is possible to do when I can't take out the full loan. I am pretty sure that all private US loan companies have this policy but I am using CitiAssist.

Tyia

Gold

Re: Declaration and Certification of Finances

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:54 pm

calicocat wrote:Question for Canadian students studying in the States,

Being a Canadian citizen, I am not eligible for federal loans so I had to take out a private US loan. However, this loan only provides funds on a year by year basis and in order to process an I-20 and get a visa I need to prove funds for the full cost of attendance in my Declaration and Certification of Finances. I am wondering how this is possible to do when I can't take out the full loan. I am pretty sure that all private US loan companies have this policy but I am using CitiAssist.

Tyia
I thought you only had to show proof for the full cost of the first year of attendance?

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:56 pm

blhoward2 wrote:

Tyia
I thought you only had to show proof for the full cost of the first year of attendance?
It's funny cause that's what I thought too but apparently not.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:57 pm

calicocat wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:

Tyia
Can you get a student visa for the first year only and then renew? A quick google search shows instructions for submitting an updated I-20 signed by the school and new financial info.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:58 pm

blhoward2 wrote:
calicocat wrote:
blhoward2 wrote:

Tyia
Can you get a student visa for the first year only and then renew? A quick google search shows instructions for submitting an updated I-20 signed by the school and new financial info.
--LinkRemoved--

FWIW, Emerson says one year in their instructions. Is it possible the visa is only ever good for a year?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:07 pm

bump

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:17 pm

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:21 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
calicocat wrote:bump
Usually at this point, I warn people not to bump until it falls off the first page. :twisted:

That said, I think the bigger problem is that most of us don't have a clue as to the answer. Have you tried the Financial Aid forum?
I think this is her passive aggressive Canadian way of saying she doesn't want my help in particular...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”