When i can stop making FAFSA payments if starting this fall Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
itsmytime10

Bronze

When i can stop making FAFSA payments if starting this fall

Post by itsmytime10 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:08 am

I am currently making monthly payments on my FAFSA loan from my MS degree. When is the earliest time i can stop making payment if i start school this fall? Do i have to start school before i can stop?

homestyle28

Gold

Re: When i can stop making FAFSA payments if starting this fall

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:18 am

Assuming you're asking about when you can get the deferral for being a student, you have to actually be a student again. If you are taking out more federal aid, that loan disbursement will tell the gov't that you're back in school, so you can request the deferral. If you're not taking out more federal aid, you have to get a form filled out by the school, which they'll do after school starts.

I had to go through this as a grad student...so this info is like 2 years old.

itsmytime10

Bronze

Re: When i can stop making FAFSA payments if starting this fall

Post by itsmytime10 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:29 am

homestyle28 wrote:Assuming you're asking about when you can get the deferral for being a student, you have to actually be a student again. If you are taking out more federal aid, that loan disbursement will tell the gov't that you're back in school, so you can request the deferral. If you're not taking out more federal aid, you have to get a form filled out by the school, which they'll do after school starts.

I had to go through this as a grad student...so this info is like 2 years old.
Yes that is what i am asking. Thanks for the info.

Return to “Financial Aid”