AA male 3.55-3.65 GPA 164 LSAT: Need help making list Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
rundoxierun

Gold

AA male 3.55-3.65 GPA 164 LSAT: Need help making list

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 pm

I will be applying next cycle and I just wanted a little help making a list from some people with actual experiences. I will be retaking my 164 in Dec. and hoping for better but right now I am assuming that it holds. In addition to being a URM, I will be the first person in my family to graduate a 4 year university, my mother gave birth to me at age 15 and my biological father ended up serving a life sentence in prison before I even began elementary school. I would be greatful if anyone could help me with making a list of schools and if possible help me with ideas of conveying to schools some of my unique characteristics

Kronk

Diamond

Re: AA male 3.55-3.65 GPA 164 LSAT: Need help making list

Post by Kronk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:42 pm

I'd apply to the T14 minus HYSCCN. After that, I'd apply to UT, Vanderbilt, and UCLA as targets and WashU / Notre Dame / GWU as safeties.

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:49 pm

VoidSix wrote:I'd apply to the T14 minus HYSCCN. After that, I'd apply to UT, Vanderbilt, and UCLA as targets and WashU / Notre Dame / GWU as safeties.
Ummmm no. Apply to all of the T-14. If your GPA will be 3.6+ and you have a 164 you have a fairly good chance at every school outside of HYS...I would even throw an app to H in your case. Good luck

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:55 pm

IDILL_E wrote:
VoidSix wrote:I'd apply to the T14 minus HYSCCN. After that, I'd apply to UT, Vanderbilt, and UCLA as targets and WashU / Notre Dame / GWU as safeties.
Ummmm no. Apply to all of the T-14. If your GPA will be 3.6+ and you have a 164 you have a fairly good chance at every school outside of HYS...I would even throw an app to H in your case. Good luck
Actually, I think my advice was a lot better than yours. LSP doesn't give a URM with his numbers more than a "consider" at any T-14, and his first "strong consider" or "admit" is in the 20s. I think he will swing a T14, but I'd be very surprised if it was in HYSCCN. Of course, if you up that LSAT score, you have a shot anywhere minus probably Yale due to the GPA.

That said, if you have an extra $250 laying around, throw them in at CCN. Honestly though, if you're going to anything inside HYSCCN, I would apply to Stanford. They seem to put more weight on diversity than any other T6.

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:00 pm

VoidSix wrote:
IDILL_E wrote:
Actually, I think my advice was a lot better than yours. LSP doesn't give a URM with his numbers more than a "consider" at any T-14, and his first "strong consider" or "admit" is in the 20s. I think he will swing a T14, but I'd be very surprised if it was in HYSCCN. Of course, if you up that LSAT score, you have a shot anywhere minus probably Yale due to the GPA.

That said, if you have an extra $250 laying around, throw them in at CCN. Honestly though, if you're going to anything inside HYSCCN, I would apply to Stanford. They seem to put more weight on diversity than any other T6.
On the strength that you advised OP not to apply to HYSCCN, kind of kills it for me. LSP is not accurate for URM's, especially AA males. That being said, there is no reason to not apply to HYSCCN.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:06 pm

So do it. Apply to HYSCCN. You could get one. There was an AA male in last year's cycle that posted on TLS pretty often that had a 178 and a 3.50. Ended up rejected at Stanford and Yale, in at Harvard, and waitlisted at Columbia. I only imagine he was in at Chicago and NYU, but I don't know for sure.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:26 pm

Thank all you guys very much for the insight. Luckily I attended a selective month long LSAC sponsored diversity program over the summer that resulted in me getting a fee waiver that can be used for all schools that accept lsac fee waivers for apps. I know about lsp but I also know from my exp applying to undergradf that those types of calculators are inaccurate and I don't want to repeat the mistakes I made before and miss out on an opportunity.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:37 pm

Whoa, didn't know you had a blanket fee waiver. In that case, just apply everywhere in the T-14, and a few others in the ~T-20 (depending on geographic area you'd like to work in). Since it's not going to cost you anything, you will benefit from throwing as many apps out there as possible.

You also have the potential to write an amazing personal statement, given your very young mother and father's prison sentence. Make sure you incorporate your background as much as possible, because I think at least a few of the top 14 law schools will appreciate that diversity. You need to show them, through a strong, well-crafted essay, that your specific background would make you a very unique member of their incoming class, and that your life thus far has (I imagine) been very different from many students applying to law school.

Good luck! With a solid overall application, I think you'll be able to get into a very good school.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:38 pm

Yeah. Definitely apply everywhere in that case.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:38 pm

VoidSix wrote:
IDILL_E wrote:

VoidSix, while I'm a big defender of LSP when it comes to standard applicants, it is not as reliable as a predictor for URMs. One reason for that is that different groups of URMs get different levels of boost, and AA males tend to see the largest boost of any URM group, so having a single "URM" check box on the predictor is a little simplistic and misleading. OP has a good shot at CCN and is a possible for H or S, enough so that he should be applying to all of them so he doesn't miss out on anything. He should blanket every T14 below CCN as safeties and for chances of getting $$$.

To OP: Apply as early as possible! Schools have more seats to give and more unallocated scholarship funds if you apply early. Get your apps in before the Thanksgiving break for the best chance of acceptances and $$$ at T14 schools. Good luck!

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:41 pm

VoidSix wrote:There was an AA male in last year's cycle that posted on TLS pretty often that had a 178 and a 3.50.
You're talking about Objection? I think he was 177 ~3.4.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”