AA Male, 3.8 163

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Post Reply
modernoblomov

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:44 pm

AA Male, 3.8 163

Post by modernoblomov » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:08 pm

URM AA Male
3.80 Ugpa
163 LSAT (retake is not an option)

Softs: Ivy Master’s, AmeriCorps, significant w/e

Chances for: YHS?

User avatar
Wild Card

Silver
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:48 pm

Re: AA Male, 3.8 163

Post by Wild Card » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:22 pm

No chance at Yale, limited chance at Harvard and Stanford (becuase you're below their GPA medians).

Excellent chance at Columbia and NYU, if it matters.

modernoblomov

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: AA Male, 3.8 163

Post by modernoblomov » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:49 pm

Ugh

239840

Bronze
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Re: AA Male, 3.8 163

Post by 239840 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:37 pm

modernoblomov wrote:Ugh
MyLSN shows you having a 88% chance of getting into Harvard. The data on Yale is limited, as there was only one applicant with your stats that applied to Yale in the past several cycles and they were waitlisted. You appear to have a decent shot at Stanford as-is. With a higher LSAT score, you could get full-rides from mid-lower T13 schools, but as it stands you'll probably get $$-$$$.
Last edited by 239840 on Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

albanach

Gold
Posts: 1985
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: AA Male, 3.8 163

Post by albanach » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:38 pm

modernoblomov wrote:Ugh
Why Ugh? Your other posts talk about working in a firm. If that's your goal it can be achieved in the lower T14 without placing you at a huge disadvantage.

You might still need to bump that LSAT a little. Three or four points may be worth over $100,000. With interest on a Grad Plus loan, maybe over $150,000. You'll probably never find something to spend time and effort on that has as big an ROI.

If the economy goes into a significant recession, look for a big uptick in the number of folk going to law school. More applicants may mean more competitive admissions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


objctnyrhnr

Moderator
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:44 am

Re: AA Male, 3.8 163

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:03 am

Why is retake not an option? JW

decimalsanddollars

Bronze
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:26 pm

Re: AA Male, 3.8 163

Post by decimalsanddollars » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:18 am

Good chances at most T4-14 (except, for whatever reason, Penn and UVA); scholarship at lower t14; agreed with WC that Yale is out and Harvard/Stanford are <50%. Also agree with posters saying you should retake for even a 5-point increase.

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 3594
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: AA Male, 3.8 163

Post by QContinuum » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:17 am

decimalsanddollars wrote:Good chances at most T4-14 (except, for whatever reason, Penn and UVA); scholarship at lower t14; agreed with WC that Yale is out and Harvard/Stanford are <50%. Also agree with posters saying you should retake for even a 5-point increase.
I suspect Penn and UVA may be because those schools place strong emphasis on a "Why X" statement. Otherwise, I can't see any reason why Penn and UVA specifically would be less likely.

modernoblomov

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: AA Male, 3.8 163

Post by modernoblomov » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:26 pm

QContinuum wrote:
decimalsanddollars wrote:Good chances at most T4-14 (except, for whatever reason, Penn and UVA); scholarship at lower t14; agreed with WC that Yale is out and Harvard/Stanford are <50%. Also agree with posters saying you should retake for even a 5-point increase.
I suspect Penn and UVA may be because those schools place strong emphasis on a "Why X" statement. Otherwise, I can't see any reason why Penn and UVA specifically would be less likely.
Bear with me a bit, I'm just curious: Assuming Y's out and I get accepted into either H/S, what are we talking about in terms of aid? My financial resources are very low and I have $100k in debt from my master's. With my relatively low stats, would I pretty much expect to graduate at sticker ($300+k) from H/S?

FWIW, albanach is correct: I want to pursue big law. I'm aware of both school's LIPP/LRAP. Even though they're "generous," I'm not too thrilled carrying all that debt and I'm not interested in PI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 3594
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: AA Male, 3.8 163

Post by QContinuum » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:40 pm

modernoblomov wrote:Bear with me a bit, I'm just curious: Assuming Y's out and I get accepted into either H/S, what are we talking about in terms of aid? My financial resources are very low and I have $100k in debt from my master's. With my relatively low stats, would I pretty much expect to graduate at sticker ($300+k) from H/S?

FWIW, albanach is correct: I want to pursue big law. I'm aware of both school's LIPP/LRAP. Even though they're "generous," I'm not too thrilled carrying all that debt and I'm not interested in PI.
If your target is BigLaw, you should not be targeting H/S as your ideal outcome. You should be targeting CCN on down with $$$ as your ideal outcome. No one needs H/S (or Y for that matter) to land BigLaw.

I understand you have a subjective desire to be able to say "I went to Hahvahd Law School!" but max aid at YSH - assuming you qualify for max aid, which you may not (parental income and assets get factored in up through age 29, even if your parents won't actually be contributing a dime) - will still run you something like $150k (IIRC - may be higher now). I'd think long and hard about whether you want to pay $150k for a HLS diploma over a CCN diploma just for the bragging rights.

modernoblomov

New
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: AA Male, 3.8 163

Post by modernoblomov » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:44 pm

objctnyrhnr wrote:Why is retake not an option? JW
Time's the main factor. I took about 6 months to study for the LSAT after work and managed a few family emergencies in that time. I'm up there in age (30ish) and the notion of doing that again is pretty unappetizing. I think I can be internally okay with settling for non-HYS.

User avatar
Sackboy

Bronze
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:14 am

Re: AA Male, 3.8 163

Post by Sackboy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:03 pm

modernoblomov wrote:
Time's the main factor. I took about 6 months to study for the LSAT after work and managed a few family emergencies in that time. I'm up there in age (30ish) and the notion of doing that again is pretty unappetizing. I think I can be internally okay with settling for non-HYS.
If you don't want unicorn jobs, then I'd take non-HYS $$$ over HYS any day of the week. You should have some great options.

User avatar
Alltheirsplendor

Bronze
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:06 pm

Re: AA Male, 3.8 163

Post by Alltheirsplendor » Fri May 01, 2020 1:37 am

Wild Card wrote:No chance at Yale, limited chance at Harvard and Stanford (becuase you're below their GPA medians).

Excellent chance at Columbia and NYU, if it matters.
Yeah. This guy is wrong. I've been watching this game for over a decade. I've seen some wild outcomes for URM cycles. ESPECIALLY AA males. Throw an app that way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”