Possible URM, non-traditional/international Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Chevi92

New

Possible URM, non-traditional/international

Post by Chevi92 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:43 am

Hi everyone,
I'm kind of an uncommon case and could not find an exact reply to my questions. So here we go:
I've got a 162 in the LSAT (159 previously, even though I was scoring around 168's in the mock ones) and a 3.4 undergrad GPA.
I moved to the US, because of my dad's work, when I was 15 and due to previous foreign education, skipped a few years and graduated with 16. I had a basic level of English and where I come from nobody moves cities for University, nor is there any application process. Therefore I went to an ok public school near to where I was.
I didn't know what to major in and chose a hard STEM major. I kind of struggled and once I changed to something I liked my GPA improved a lot.
Since I did now know when I had to leave the US i took summer school and lots of classes and finished my undergrad in less than 3 years.
After that, due to work restrictions, I did an MBA where I got a somewhat better GPA.
I have 5 nationalities, one of them Mexican and I use to have a green card. I've lived in 3 different continents and have travelled to 70+ countries so I'm quite international. Therefore I want to do international law (i'm open to either private or public.)
My questions are:
1) Will I get an URM boost?
2) Should I ED somewhere?
I'm applying to pretty much all the top 14 schools and if I don't get in I'll retake or rethink my career path.
I currently live in a very expensive country and cannot afford to take a few months to study for the LSAT.
I've been working for the past 6 years in private and investment banking for 16+ hours a day so I could not focus as much as I wanted.
However for personal reasons I do not want to delay my applications anymore.
BTW I got fee waiver for pretty much all of the schools that I want to apply so the cost should not be too bad.
Also I think that i have pretty good LOR's.
Thank y'all very much for your time!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Possible URM, non-traditional/international

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:32 am

1) If you genuinely consider yourself Mexican-American*, indicate as much and you will probably be considered a URM; otherwise, probably not, although your background is certainly interesting and that's a plus in either case.
2) Definitely do not ED anywhere
A) I'd do more research into what the actual practice of law is like, because "international law" is a very vague aspiration that might not square with an actual career path. In other words, what actual job do you want to have? (This will inform what kind of law school you need to attend.)
B) You should definitely retake the LSAT if you were retaking in the high 160's. Every point makes a huge difference in outcomes. You can't afford not to get huge scholarships/admitted to better law school.

*(If you're, like, French or Japanese or whatever but lived in Mexico for 2 years as an ex-pat, I personally would not hold yourself forth as MA. If your heritage is from elsewhere but you lived in Mexico for most of your childhood and strongly identify as Mexican, then that's a grey area that reasonable people can disagree about. This is a very difficult and personal question and all I recommend is that you complete your applications in good faith.)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”