3.97/171/AA male URM T14 $? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
CoolHouse

New

3.97/171/AA male URM T14 $?

Post by CoolHouse » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:16 pm

I’m a black Canadian looking to apply to all of the T14. Since I don’t have US citizenship loans will be hard for me to obtain therefore I’m trying to maximize my scholarship amounts. I need >$150,000 in scholarships otherwise it’s going to be hard to fund the degree.

I withdrew from my first undergraduate school after one year with 10 non punitive withdrawals and transferred to a different school with a program that interested me more.

What scholarship amounts can I expect to receive assuming acceptance into all T14. Chicago is my top choice.

Would the non punitive withdrawals negatively affect me in any way assuming I attach a GPA addendum explaining my transfer?

Little to no significant softs:
  • - Kumon Tutor
    - Work with developmentally delayed people in a home share program (autism,blindness, physical disabilities
    - Substitute teacher at a Montessori School
    - Volunteer classroom assistant at a public school
    - Learning Arabic lol? :?

Igloo2022

New

Re: 3.97/171/AA male URM T14 $?

Post by Igloo2022 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:12 am

yale.

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:01 pm

You look competitive for a Ruby based on Chicago's preference for high GPAs, and 171 definitely isn't below the floor for URMs. I'd make sure you have an excellent "Why Chicago" drafted, and hopefully that's enough to get you an offer.

CoolHouse

New

Post by CoolHouse » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:10 pm

Necho2 wrote:You look competitive for a Ruby based on Chicago's preference for high GPAs, and 171 definitely isn't below the floor for URMs. I'd make sure you have an excellent "Why Chicago" drafted, and hopefully that's enough to get you an offer.
I think I can potentially get my LSAT 1 or 2 points higher if I applied next cycle instead of this one. Would it be worth it to wait this cycle out, take the LSAT again, and apply next cycle?

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:17 pm

CoolHouse wrote:
Necho2 wrote:You look competitive for a Ruby based on Chicago's preference for high GPAs, and 171 definitely isn't below the floor for URMs. I'd make sure you have an excellent "Why Chicago" drafted, and hopefully that's enough to get you an offer.
I think I can potentially get my LSAT 1 or 2 points higher if I applied next cycle instead of this one. Would it be worth it to wait this cycle out, take the LSAT again, and apply next cycle?
No. If you aren’t happy with your results you can always just reapply next cycle anyway.

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:39 pm

Platopus wrote:
CoolHouse wrote:
No. If you aren’t happy with your results you can always just reapply next cycle anyway.
+1. Your stats are high enough that there's no reason to delay, and reapplying is always a possibility. I would hazard a guess that pouring some effort into understanding UChicago's academic strengths and conveying interests effectively based on that would be much more valuable than an additional point or two. Throw me a PM if you want more details on Ruby stuff.

SoylentGreen

New

Post by SoylentGreen » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:48 am

I don't see a "why Chicago" option for UC admissions. Am I just missing it?

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:50 pm

SoylentGreen wrote:
I don't see a "why Chicago" option for UC admissions. Am I just missing it?
It's been a while since I did apps but I think they still encourage additional essays?

https://www.law.uchicago.edu/jdfaq/personalstatement

Less than a page, short and sweet, convey stuff about the school that interests you. If that's not an option anymore, then I'd just try to but some care into making your personal statement tailored to UChicago in particular if possible.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”