Native American 166 Lsat 3.16 gpa chances Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Vem1994

New

Native American 166 Lsat 3.16 gpa chances

Post by Vem1994 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:13 pm

I received a 166 but have a low GPA. I’m a registered tribal member with a cdib. Gpa is 3.16. I’m also deaf but I was curious if these stats could get me into a good school. I don’t have money, but I will have 3 years of professional experience by that time with 1 year in law enforcement for an agency.

Thanks.

Npret

Gold

Re: Native American 166 Lsat 3.16 gpa chances

Post by Npret » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:54 am

URM cycles are hard to predict and your disability is another reason your cycle will be less predictable. Normally law school is numbers based, but with certain individuals it is not just numbers driven.

Just put together an excellent application is my best but not that helpful advice.

Where are you thinking of applying? Wherever you apply, you should apply broadly. If you can’t afford applications, you should ask for fee waivers.

Lawman1865

Bronze

Re: Native American 166 Lsat 3.16 gpa chances

Post by Lawman1865 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:04 pm

Vem1994 wrote:I received a 166 but have a low GPA. I’m a registered tribal member with a cdib. Gpa is 3.16. I’m also deaf but I was curious if these stats could get me into a good school. I don’t have money, but I will have 3 years of professional experience by that time with 1 year in law enforcement for an agency.

Thanks.
As Npret said, due to the multiple factors in your application that separates you from more traditional candidates, it will be hard to predict. Certainly being Native American/registered tribe member is very likely a check in your favor and you should play that up in your app. Regarding your disability, from what I understand schools are generally very accommodating.

Ultimately, I think the best you can do is just apply broadly, definitely activate any fee waiver invitations on LSAC and apply to those schools (you can always use a scholarship from one school to leverage another). Your low GPA hurts you but I can see you getting some good money from a T1/high T2 school, although it's definitely hard to predict in this case. It really depends on the school, since you have good experience + status as a Native American/disability, which means you could potentially shoot above your score if your app falls in front of an admissions committee that loves it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”