YALE App has no URM Section? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ndrw

New

YALE App has no URM Section?

Post by ndrw » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:43 am

Hi All,

I was looking at the Yale Application and I don't see a section to specify URM status?

Has anyone noticed the same thing? Is this a mistake?

LoganCouture

Gold

Re: YALE App has no URM Section?

Post by LoganCouture » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:47 am

You're correct. This is normal for Yale.

ndrw

New

Post by ndrw » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:49 am

So, is there a way they consider diversity? Do we just say our race in a diversity statement and that's it?

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:12 pm

You're right, there's no URM section, so make sure that your resume, PS, and DS let them know! They somehow figure it out one way or the other.

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:21 pm

fliptrip wrote:You're right, there's no URM section, so make sure that your resume, PS, and DS let them know! They somehow figure it out one way or the other.
I think they firgure it out through crs. Lsac asks your race and I think in the report they send to law schools it indicates your race. Harvard also doesn't have a place to indicate what type of Hispanic you are so I believe they use the same mechanism to check for urm status. But I am not sure just speculation.

clovis

Bronze

Post by clovis » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:23 pm

Yeah, I think they get it from CRS. But yes, the good advice is that, if you have something interesting to say about it in your essays, that's probably best.

Read Asha's blog posts to get an idea of what YLS means by diversity and how you can convey it.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”