Black Female Need Advice! Please!! Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Edj2012

New

Black Female Need Advice! Please!!

Post by Edj2012 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:10 pm

I am running around in circles right now. I'm supposed to take the Oct lsat but I'm starting to think it's not a good idea at all. I am not testing where I'd like.

I am freaking out! I was told to come here to seek some guidance. I'm a black female that goes to a top 20 school and has a very nice set of recommendations (some ceo's, Vp's, lawyers and professors) because I have tons of work/internship experience. I speak 5 languages and have gone abroad twice (China and Japan).

I know it's all a numbers game but does any of that count for something? Should I postpone my test, study some more then retake it later?

HELP!
Last edited by Edj2012 on Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

juliuscasear90

New

Re: Black Female Need Advice! Please!!

Post by juliuscasear90 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:25 pm

Don't rush in. You have a lot going for you. Work for a year or two while you take several courses on the LSAT. If you improve 8 pts per year and get up to 165-167 you'll have a real good shot at Harvard. Don't settle for a crap law school. Wait till you max out your LSAT potential and then apply. Law school isn't going anywhere. Get some work experience and you may even be able to have a bit more wiggle room with the raw numbers too.

Good Guy Gaud

Platinum

Post by Good Guy Gaud » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:26 pm

juliuscasear90 wrote: Don't settle for a crap law school. Wait till you max out your LSAT potential and then apply. Law school isn't going anywhere. Get some work experience and you may even be able to have a bit more wiggle room with the raw numbers too.
truth

seashell.economy

Bronze

Post by seashell.economy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:35 pm

So what everyone is going to tell you is "study longer for the LSAT and aim for a higher score" and honestly, I hate that that advice is throw out on here to every single question - some people just want to take the LSAT and get on with their lives - but in your case I'm going to say that advice is really needed.

You got a nice GPA , great letters of rec, and you speak five (?!?) languages. You're obviously smart. Is there any reason you're not aiming higher than A 150? I think if you take some more time to study, which obviously means not taking the October test, you could get a higher score and place yourself in a much better position to get into those schools you want to get into.

PoopNpants

Silver

Post by PoopNpants » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:42 pm

Post-pone and don't take until you testing in the mid 160s if you want UVA, GTown or Harvard. Prolly going to need to be higher than mid 160s for H too.

Edj2012

New

Post by Edj2012 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:03 am

Thank you guys! I really appreciate your advice and honesty. I think it would also be best to wait and give myself the best shot I possibly can. December LSAT here I come!!

AnonymousApplicant

New

Post by AnonymousApplicant » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:04 pm

Edj2012 wrote:I am running around in circles right now. I'm supposed to take the Oct lsat but I'm starting to think it's not a good idea at all. I am not testing where I'd like to (150) and my gpa is a 3.5.

I am freaking out! I was told to come here to seek some guidance. I'm a black female that goes to a top 20 school and has a very nice set of recommendations (some ceo's, Vp's, lawyers and professors) because I have tons of work/internship experience. I speak 5 languages and have gone abroad twice (China and Japan).

I want to go to W&M, Georgetown, UVA, or Harvard really badly because I know exactly what field I want to study and they all have what I want.

I know it's all a numbers game but does any of that count for something? Should I postpone my test, study some more then retake it later? Can I get in with a 150?

HELP!
Is there anyway that you would be able to bring your GPA up to a 3.6-3.7 before graduation. That's something worth considering too. For H, depending on your GPA, all you really need is a 163+. The higher your GPA, the lower an LSAT score you can get away with. In your position, assuming your 3.5 remains a 3.5, you would need a 166+ in order to H or any $$$ at the lower ranked T14s. In any case, you should definitely put off the LSAT and study some more.

DG2016

New

Post by DG2016 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:15 pm

absolutely postpone the LSAT until you're ready to take it. Curious, why are you only aiming for a 150 on the LSAT? Don't sell yourself short, just buckle down, focus on practice tests and then try to manage nerves on test day. Maybe easier said than done, but very possible. Good luck!

jlet0314

New

Post by jlet0314 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:12 pm

AnonymousApplicant wrote:
Edj2012 wrote:I am running around in circles right now. I'm supposed to take the Oct lsat but I'm starting to think it's not a good idea at all. I am not testing where I'd like to (150) and my gpa is a 3.5.

I want to go to W&M, Georgetown, UVA, or Harvard really badly because I know exactly what field I want to study and they all have what I want.

I know it's all a numbers game but does any of that count for something? Should I postpone my test, study some more then retake it later? Can I get in with a 150?

HELP!
Is there anyway that you would be able to bring your GPA up to a 3.6-3.7 before graduation. That's something worth considering too. For H, depending on your GPA, all you really need is a 163+. The higher your GPA, the lower an LSAT score you can get away with. In your position, assuming your 3.5 remains a 3.5, you would need a 166+ in order to H or any $$$ at the lower ranked T14s. In any case, you should definitely put off the LSAT and study some more.
163+ last cycle?

AnonymousApplicant

New

Post by AnonymousApplicant » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:48 pm

jlet0314 wrote:
AnonymousApplicant wrote:

HELP!
163+ last cycle?
Huh? I don't get it. Its pretty well-known, or at least I thought it was, that an AA, once they pass a certain GPA threshold, only really need a 163+ to get into H, and a 165+ just to be sure. I know this to be the case based on the available numbers, but FWIW I even personally know people who've gotten into H and one who got into Y with sub-165 LSAT scores.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”