First Generation American for DS? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
zestylemon

New

First Generation American for DS?

Post by zestylemon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:30 pm

Hey there,

I've been trying to find info on this all day but nothing seems to help. If you're a first gen American, is that something to talk about in a diversity statement? Otherwise I'm a white female so I doubt I'd write one, but first gen means a lot to me.

Thanks!

gaud

Platinum

Re: First Generation American for DS?

Post by gaud » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:32 pm

I think that could be a great topic. Only way to find out is to write it.

Good luck!

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:17 am

Absolutely.

AniaJabski

New

Post by AniaJabski » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:30 pm

I would be very interested to read your work! It's a great topic and is part of American history. If you need any references, I have a Facebook page dedicated to First Generation Americans, specifically to share relative info on the topic and also connect FGAs to share their stories. Please feel free to check out the page: http://www.facebook.com/FirstGenerationAmerican Happy to connect with you and pass along any info that may help with your DS!

Best,

Ania
First Generation American Project

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:44 pm

Jaqen wrote:Absolutely.

RSterling

Bronze

Post by RSterling » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:06 pm

zestylemon wrote:Hey there,

I've been trying to find info on this all day but nothing seems to help. If you're a first gen American, is that something to talk about in a diversity statement? Otherwise I'm a white female so I doubt I'd write one, but first gen means a lot to me.

Thanks!
I would say it depends. Emigrating from the U.K. to the U.S. won't be as noteworthy as from a less-developed country, but it's all about how you spin it. I'm a first generation American, but I moved here from Canada. I'm french-canadian, and I had to learn english when I moved here, but I didn't think I could write a compelling DS on that alone. Remember, if your DS isn't going to be as good or better as your PS and other app materials, you'll do more good leaving it out. Good luck!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”