AA Seeking advice Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Dmini7

Silver

AA Seeking advice

Post by Dmini7 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:34 pm

First, let me apologize for the lack of brevity in this post.

I wanted a little more direct feedback on my situation. I am an AA male, who currently has a 3.1 GPA in a STEM major. I expect the GPA to rise this year, since i only have 2 remaining courses for the major. My baseline LSAT was a 162. My first question is: Is it reasonable to shoot for a 168+ on the December LSAT?

My main issue is that i am engaged, and my fiance will have to finish her schooling up in California. I have noticed a considerable amount of agreement on this forum that if you cannot get into a Law school that is USC caliber or better, there is no point in going to law school in California. Do i stand a Chance at USC/UCLA and is UCI not reccomended due to lack of a track record? Do i stand a chance at any T14's if i score a 168+? My Fiance wants to live on the West coast (California, Oregon or Washington preferably), so i don't think i really have a shot of going anywhere that isn't west coast unless it is a T14. Lastly, my softs are basically non-existent, and the only thing i am proud of for my UG career is finishing up a STEM major in 3 years while working 30 hours a week. Again, I am sorry for the block of text, but would love any and all advice (taking a year off is not a real possibility for my situation).
Overall, where could i expect to get in that's worth it?

astrodoggy

New

Re: AA Seeking advice

Post by astrodoggy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:43 pm

UCLA/Berkeley/Stanford are most likely out because of the GPA but a score in the 164-166 range would probably give you a very good shot at USC and a lock at Davis. good luck!

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:48 pm

Thanks for the response. Would it be worth it going to Davis? I was getting the impression Davis was grouped with Loyal and Pepperdine in its job prospects after graduation.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:52 pm

I gained 13 points from my "baseline" LSAT (without any prep) to my actual day-of-test score. I've also seen others make 15-point gains with a couple months of dedicated studying. It's certainly possible for you to reach 168+.

With a high-160s (or even 170+) LSAT, you have good odds with a number of T14 schools. I'm not sure how you'll do on the west coast, though; the UC schools are legally prohibited from practicing AA by state law, so while a high LSAT score will help you, their hands may be tied more than other top schools.

The other thing I'll say is that taking in December is a bit risky; you won't get your score back until late January, close to the end of the cycle, and one thing that really helps URMs is applying early rather than late. You might want to consider waiting and applying next cycle. If you're working 30 hours a week now, then you can probably find work for another year (and being a year older/having more WE will help, too).

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:56 pm

Dmini7 wrote:Thanks for the response. Would it be worth it going to Davis? I was getting the impression Davis was grouped with Loyal and Pepperdine in its job prospects after graduation.
Dmini, you have a shot at the following California law schools worth attending:

UCLA
UC-Irvine
USC

Your reach law schools in California are:
Berkeley
Stanford

UC-Irvine is actually a really great law school. I have a friend currently attending there and though new, they are believed to be a T20 law school when the rankings come out. She was offered a full-ride to attend.

If you score a 170+, I think you may have a shot at Berkeley. Stanford is probably, most definitely out, but who knows if they might accept you?

But seriously, focus on trying to score within the 168+ range on the LSAT and then you can worry about where to apply. Just don't look at any other California law schools WORTH attending outside of the aforementioned.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:00 pm

astrodoggy wrote:UCLA/Berkeley/Stanford are most likely out because of the GPA but a score in the 164-166 range would probably give you a very good shot at USC and a lock at Davis. good luck!
AA female/3.17/168
In at UCLA
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/plaid2012/jd

AA male/3.0/160
In at UC-Berkeley (Attending)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/miracle2011/jd

True, most likely out but as we see here, there is always a chance!

b33eazy

Bronze

Post by b33eazy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:35 am

vanwinkle wrote:I gained 13 points from my "baseline" LSAT (without any prep) to my actual day-of-test score. I've also seen others make 15-point gains with a couple months of dedicated studying. It's certainly possible for you to reach 168+.

With a high-160s (or even 170+) LSAT, you have good odds with a number of T14 schools. I'm not sure how you'll do on the west coast, though; the UC schools are legally prohibited from practicing AA by state law, so while a high LSAT score will help you, their hands may be tied more than other top schools.

The other thing I'll say is that taking in December is a bit risky; you won't get your score back until late January, close to the end of the cycle, and one thing that really helps URMs is applying early rather than late. You might want to consider waiting and applying next cycle. If you're working 30 hours a week now, then you can probably find work for another year (and being a year older/having more WE will help, too).
That's not true. The December scores come out in EARLY January (BIG Difference). OP, you just need to get your app ready early and send it out as soon as you get your score. There is a urm who got into U Mich with a 3.47 and 161 who took December and got his or her score in EARLY January and another one who had a 3.2 and a 162 who sent an app to GTown, in EARLY Jan and got accepted as well. T14 is definitely possible if you take December and with a 162 baseline there is a lot of room for improvement. You should definitely get at least one t14 if you get a 162 or better. So good luck with your cycle and if you don't like your acceptances you can just reapply next cycle.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jozzy22

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Moriarty

GimmeThatJD

New

Post by GimmeThatJD » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:41 pm

Maybe applying ED to your top choices in CA might help? Not sure though. You could give it a shot if you're definitely set for CA.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks for all the great replies, I will continue to study and hopefully improve the LR section that has been destroying my scores.

GimmeThatJD: I would apply ED but i do not have an actual LSAT score yet. As of now I have only taken practice tests, and will be unable to take the exam until December.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”