Chance Me Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
biguplaws

New

Chance Me

Post by biguplaws » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:26 pm

I'm a AA Female
My second try at the LSAT got me a 155 even though my highest PT score was a 166 so I expected to break the 160 barrier. Very disappointing. I may be planning retaking for the third time in October. But, I don't know how good that would look especially if I am still unable to crack the 160 barrier. Thoughts?

My GPA is nothing to brag about. 3.13. I've had a strong upward trend since my sophomore year. I messed up badly in my freshman year but have only received A's and B's since then. Like many, I was facing many personal issues and 3 family deaths. I was able to get one semester completely removed due to this but not another which is why my GPA is this low. I was wondering this would negatively effect my transcript. I will obviously write an addendum to explain this.

My softs are okay. Research position working with law journals and textbooks (both of which that will be published), internship with two different law offices, two leadership positions in the same organization but very active in the other 8 organizations I've participated in. Strong focus on working with volunteer organizations that deal with underprivileged children.

Some schools I am interested in:
Boston University
Boston College
Cornell University
GWU
Emory
Fordham
College of William and Mary
UNC
George Mason
Ohio State University
University of Florida
American University
Temple U
U Pittsburg
Northeastern
Michigan State

Thoughts please

TTTehehe

Bronze

Re: Chance Me

Post by TTTehehe » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:31 pm

biguplaws wrote:I'm a AA Female

Some schools I am interested in:
Boston University
Boston College
Cornell University
GWU
Emory
Fordham
College of William and Mary
UNC
George Mason
Ohio State University
University of Florida
American University
Temple U
U Pittsburg
Northeastern
Michigan State
Retake. Btw, where do you want to practice?

biguplaws

New

Post by biguplaws » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Anywhere on the east coast. Hopefully Boston.

TTTehehe

Bronze

Post by TTTehehe » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:44 pm

biguplaws wrote:Anywhere on the east coast. Hopefully Boston.
You should retake and only apply to Boston schools then - unless you don't mind Northeastern. Most of the other schools you have listed won't have the reach.

biguplaws

New

Post by biguplaws » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:05 pm

If I can crack 160 in October, there still won't be any chance for BU or BC?

TTTehehe

Bronze

Post by TTTehehe » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:23 pm

biguplaws wrote:If I can crack 160 in October, there still won't be any chance for BU or BC?
I think if you crack 160, and do a solid PS with optional essays, you may squeeze through. Check some of the BC/BU threads here to get an idea of the stats you're up against. And go on law school numbers to see URM stats for both schools. Worst case, just apply. You just never know.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:44 pm

biguplaws wrote:My second try at the LSAT got me a 155 even though my highest PT score was a 166 so I expected to break the 160 barrier. Very disappointing. I may be planning retaking for the third time in October. But, I don't know how good that would look especially if I am still unable to crack the 160 barrier. Thoughts?
Retake the LSAT in October or regret not taking it again for the rest of your life.

JetsFan1990

Bronze

Post by JetsFan1990 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:27 pm

I can't imagine you getting into to BC/BU with anything less than a 165 with your GPA. I would retake also.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”