What are my chances? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Jasper21

New

What are my chances?

Post by Jasper21 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:44 pm

I'm really nervous with my chances at T20 schools. My gpa is 3.67 but leads dropped it to 3.47. My LSAT score is 156 and I do not plan on retaking because I've been enrolled in kaplan since february and I was studying for about 6-8 hours each day since June until my test.

What do you guys think my chances are?? I sent most of my apps in on saturday if that makes a difference and I worked on my PS for two months

ColumbiaChamp

Bronze

Re: What are my chances?

Post by ColumbiaChamp » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:15 pm

what kind of URM are you?

Jasper21

New

Post by Jasper21 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:19 pm

AA female

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:23 pm

Jasper21 wrote: My LSAT score is 156 and I do not plan on retaking because I've been enrolled in kaplan since february and I was studying for about 6-8 hours each day since June until my test.
There's your problem.

Jasper21

New

Post by Jasper21 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:27 pm

Maybe I shouldve clarified. The honors program that I am in paid for my course from feb to June. I didn't go so I took the class over in the summer. Aghhh

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:42 pm

Jasper21 wrote:Maybe I shouldve clarified. The honors program that I am in paid for my course from feb to June. I didn't go so I took the class over in the summer. Aghhh
Well, I meant being enrolled in Kaplan in general. Free or not, it isn't helpful. My LSAT score was higher than that of my instructor and self study helped me 100 times more.

Jasper21

New

Post by Jasper21 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:01 am

I asked what my chances were. I didn't ask for how productive or non productive Kaplan was

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:13 am

Jasper21 wrote:I asked what my chances were. I didn't ask for how productive or non productive Kaplan was
Probably WL at most of the T20. If you're willing to ride them out, you may get an acceptance somewhere. T14 probably not a great shot, but since URM cycles are unpredictable it is definitely worth the app to Cornell/Georgetown/Northwestern if you have some work experience.

I'm just trying to help overall. You said you don't want to retake the LSAT because you spent a lot of time working with Kaplan. I tried to tell you that Kaplan isn't helpful and if you really want a T20, you really should consider taking the test again. A 160 would more than likely get you in. If you don't want to retake because you don't want to study for it again, keep in mind that law school itself is going to be much, much harder than the LSAT. If you don't retake and don't wind up at a T20 like you want (and believe me, I truly hope you do), doing well enough at whatever school you choose to get the same opportunities as a T20 would provide will be much harder than getting the extra few LSAT points that would get you into a better school.

It isn't that I'm here to crap all over your dreams. If I thought you wouldn't be able to do any better than 156, I wouldn't have said anything. But since you said you worked with Kaplan, I know from personal experience that Kaplan wasn't helpful and that you can score better with better preparation. Those few points can be the difference between acceptance and denial and could also net you scholarship money.

Good luck on your cycle and I apologize if my comments bothered you.

Jasper21

New

Post by Jasper21 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:44 am

Not at all, your comments did not bother me. I just feel as if I reached my peak. I rayed at that score or hovered around the area for about three months of intense studying. I started at 139 also so it's just annoying.

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:22 pm

Sent you a PM.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”