3.4/162 AA female. Where should I apply? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
goblue11

New

3.4/162 AA female. Where should I apply?

Post by goblue11 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Hello. I'm an AA female with a 3.4 and a 162. I attended University of Michigan for undergrad, have excellent LORs but no remarkable "softs". According to the LSP, I don't have any shot at the T14, but I've also read that the LSP may be relatively inaccurate for URM. I would love to go to a T14 school, but I would hate to focus my applications on schools that are decidedly out of reach. I received fee waivers from Duke, Columbia, and Penn. With my credentials, which schools should I apply to?

Thanks!
Last edited by goblue11 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

subtle

Silver

Re: 3.4/162 AA female. Where should I apply?

Post by subtle » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:40 am

Check out LSN. Feel free to look at my cycle. I had a 3.78 and a 162. A 3.78 isn't that similar, especially at schools which favor GPA.

For what it's worth, I was accepted to both Duke and Columbia and waitlisted at Penn.

PoMama

New

Post by PoMama » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:09 pm

goblue11 wrote:Hello. I'm an AA female with a 3.4 and a 162. I attended University of Michigan for undergrad, have excellent LORs but no remarkable "softs". ...
"Remarkable" softs, like beauty, may be in the eye of the beholder. A lot will depend on how you market the activities/summer experiences you DID have. Your numbers are sufficient to get you into the schools you seek. You'll differentiate yourself in your writing samples & resume. Check out the T14 admissions stats for the past three cycles on LSN. While some numbers are admittedly "faked," I used it its aggregate data as a guide to "cajole" my D into applying to T-20 schools at which she thought she didn't stand a chance (her stats are similar to yours). With app dates in late Oct/early Nov, she's 4 for 4 so far this cycle. :-)

Apply everywhere you'd consider attending that gives you a fee waiver. At worst, you'll be out $16. At best, you'll be a shocked & happy matriculant @ a T14-20. All the best on your cycle!

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:22 pm

goblue11 wrote:Hello. I'm an AA female with a 3.4 and a 162. I attended University of Michigan for undergrad, have excellent LORs but no remarkable "softs". According to the LSP, I don't have any shot at the T14, but I've also read that the LSP may be relatively inaccurate for URM. I would love to go to a T14 school, but I would hate to focus my applications on schools that are decidedly out of reach. I received fee waivers from Duke, Columbia, and Penn. With my credentials, which schools should I apply to?

Thanks!
I would apply as high as MVP on down. Even without fee waivers, the application fees are a drop in bucket compared to the possible scholarship opportunities that you will have from some T20s

plaiseadieu

New

Post by plaiseadieu » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:58 am

Apply everywhere you dream if you can afford it! Let them tell you no before you deny yourself the chance to find out what could happen. Good luck!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:01 am

PoMama wrote:
goblue11 wrote:Hello. I'm an AA female with a 3.4 and a 162. I attended University of Michigan for undergrad, have excellent LORs but no remarkable "softs". ...
"Remarkable" softs, like beauty, may be in the eye of the beholder. A lot will depend on how you market the activities/summer experiences you DID have. Your numbers are sufficient to get you into the schools you seek. You'll differentiate yourself in your writing samples & resume. Check out the T14 admissions stats for the past three cycles on LSN. While some numbers are admittedly "faked," I used it its aggregate data as a guide to "cajole" my D into applying to T-20 schools at which she thought she didn't stand a chance (her stats are similar to yours). With app dates in late Oct/early Nov, she's 4 for 4 so far this cycle. :-)

Apply everywhere you'd consider attending that gives you a fee waiver. At worst, you'll be out $16. At best, you'll be a shocked & happy matriculant @ a T14-20. All the best on your cycle!
this is silly. OP, if you don't get one of the T14, you should retake/reapply or just reapply

theduffman

Bronze

Post by theduffman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:40 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
PoMama wrote:

this is silly. OP, if you don't get one of the T14, you should retake/reapply or just reapply
lol jamMaster your avi has forever conflated liev schreiber and law school anxiety in my mind

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”