Any 35+ moms of small children... Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Cavgirl

New

Any 35+ moms of small children...

Post by Cavgirl » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:47 am

Considering a PT program? Is PT the kiss of death re job prospects?

I'm taking the LSAT in June because my 2005 score is no longer valid, have a 3.87 GPA, and am a veteran. I hope to get into some decent FT programs but am just curious about PT programs and if it's a good option or not.

My primary reason for considering a PT program is that I would like to see my kids as much as possible while they are very young.

oldhippie

Silver

Re: Any 35+ moms of small children...

Post by oldhippie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:03 am

i don't know if your specific issue is addressed here, but this may be a good place for you to ask:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=143047

good luck!

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:44 am

I would not necessarily assume that going PT would allow you to see your children more. If they are below school age, this is likely the case; if they are school age, you would probably see them more going ft. Good luck with everything!

whattheheck

New

Post by whattheheck » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:52 am

Hey! I am a 33 yr. old mom and I was just wondering the same thing. I know I won't necessarily see them more if I attend as a part-time student because from what I have heard, it's still alot of work. But I like the idea of still being able to drop them off and pick them up from school which could possibly open at least an hour with them at the park or at the children's library. If it's a half day for them maybe the museum or go to play dates.

I was also concerned about pt students participation in the OCI's. Are they shut out because they haven't completed the same courses as the ft students or are they allowed to go but employers won't favor them because of their status?

Paichka

Bronze

Post by Paichka » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:03 am

I'm a mom with one small child and another on the way, and I'm in a FT program. I actually see my daughter quite a bit -- I get up with her in the morning, give her breakfast, drop her off at daycare, and then head to class. I'm usually done with class around 2:30 (this semester, anyway), and I study for a bit before I go pick her up. Then I spend all evening with her until its time for her to go to bed, and study after she's asleep.

1L year, I had a pretty decent schedule -- I was done first semester by 2, and second semester by 4. I picked two days a week to stay late -- until 10 pm -- and got all of my reading done for the week during those two days. That way, on the weekends, I only had to do work during her afternoon nap and after she went to bed, and the rest of the day I could spend with her.

I think it's a choice you have to make, but I don't feel like I've neglected my daughter (except for MAYBE that three weeks surrounding exams exam semester :)) being in a FT program.

Cavgirl

New

Post by Cavgirl » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks for this. My kids will be 5 and 2 when I start in 2012. Sound like FT would work well.

Paichka wrote:I'm a mom with one small child and another on the way, and I'm in a FT program. I actually see my daughter quite a bit -- I get up with her in the morning, give her breakfast, drop her off at daycare, and then head to class. I'm usually done with class around 2:30 (this semester, anyway), and I study for a bit before I go pick her up. Then I spend all evening with her until its time for her to go to bed, and study after she's asleep.

1L year, I had a pretty decent schedule -- I was done first semester by 2, and second semester by 4. I picked two days a week to stay late -- until 10 pm -- and got all of my reading done for the week during those two days. That way, on the weekends, I only had to do work during her afternoon nap and after she went to bed, and the rest of the day I could spend with her.

I think it's a choice you have to make, but I don't feel like I've neglected my daughter (except for MAYBE that three weeks surrounding exams exam semes :lol: :lol: ter :)) being in a FT program.

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:12 pm

I don't think going part time is the kiss of death, especially if you had a career before/during law school.

twocuphabit

New

Post by twocuphabit » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:52 pm

I'm 34, with 5 & 7 yo daughters. I plan to go PT for the 1st year, and hopefully transition to FT the next. I think it'll be better for all of us. :)

Sunny703

New

Post by Sunny703 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:03 pm

36 with 2yr, 7yr and 9yr old kids - Full time job by day, law school PT evenings starting this fall. Also hoping the career-to-date mitigates any negative impressions of a PT program.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Sunny703 wrote:36 with 2yr, 7yr and 9yr old kids - Full time job by day, law school PT evenings starting this fall. Also hoping the career-to-date mitigates any negative impressions of a PT program.
What you need to do is put the nine-year-old to work, and attend full time.

Sunny703

New

Post by Sunny703 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:02 pm

delusional wrote:
Sunny703 wrote:36 with 2yr, 7yr and 9yr old kids - Full time job by day, law school PT evenings starting this fall. Also hoping the career-to-date mitigates any negative impressions of a PT program.
:) She'd love that....typical Type A first born daughter...

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:04 pm

Sunny703 wrote:
delusional wrote:
:) She'd love that....typical Type A first born daughter...
Really? All my seven year old oldest daughter likes to do is whine about how her brother gets more attention. Which he does, because he doesn't spend all his time whining about getting more attention.

Sunny703

New

Post by Sunny703 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:16 pm

Just wait two more years - it's a different world. The "tweens" start EARLY!

Sunny703

New

Post by Sunny703 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:16 pm

So - as a PTer with a day job, my main concern is making the leap from my current career into legal work. With clinicals and internships being so critical (and are they LESS critical if you have significant professional experience?) how do you fit them in with a 40+hr job and school at night? (Oh - and the family thing too!) Personally, I currently need the job to finance the JD,...hence the dilemna.

Thoughts?

legal10101

Bronze

Post by legal10101 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:53 am

Sunny703 wrote:So - as a PTer with a day job, my main concern is making the leap from my current career into legal work. With clinicals and internships being so critical (and are they LESS critical if you have significant professional experience?) how do you fit them in with a 40+hr job and school at night? (Oh - and the family thing too!) Personally, I currently need the job to finance the JD,...hence the dilemna.

Thoughts?

I am 30 with a 5 yr old and a 19 mos old. If you have any way to work out going FT, I would try. For me, it was very much a financial decision as well. My husband's income can not support our household and keep my kids in private education (our public schools stink). We actually sold our house and moved in with my parents (seperate living quarters). This will help with finances (we are contributing), but also I believe it will help the kids adjust with my parents being so close and accessible. I want to keep things in their daily routine as normal as possible and will treat law school like a FT job.
I completed by BS at night while working FT. It was hell. I am not going to lie, but my oldest was only 2 at the time and it really didn't affect him. I think it depends on your children.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:01 pm

I'm in a PT program now with 2 kids under age 7 and it's worked out pretty well. Generally, I agree with Paichka - think I'd see more of the kids if I were in a FT program - but unfortunately, I have to work FT so it's not an option. If you could pull it off, I'd do FT.
That said, I've really enjoyed 1L year. Yes, I miss dinner 4 nights a week - but we make up for it with weekends and special breakfasts. The course load is very manageable (I feel less stressed, blowing off studying during a long holiday weekend, for example!) and I am always free for school plays/meetings/etc.
As for job prospects, I don't feel it's going to hurt me at all: but I did have over 10 years work experience prior to starting law school and I think that makes a big difference.
Best of luck and feel free to PM me if you have specific questions!

spring2012hopeful

New

Post by spring2012hopeful » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:40 pm

I'm a 29 year old single mom with 4 kids ages 12, 11, 10, and 1. I'm planning to attend FT so I can be in school when the older kids are at school, and home when they are home. I'm just hoping that I get enough in loans and scholarships to make my plan work! :)

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:00 pm

It depends on what your goals are. If you're looking for BigLaw, PT is the kiss of death. As would your explanation. While some firms truly do have moderate hours (at least that you'd get to see your kids) they will assume the worst of you for mentioning the reason... FWIW, I'm FT and home most days by 5:30-6. Some days I come home at 2 and work here. It's all about how efficient you are during the day. As a general rule, all of the vets I know (I'm one as well) don't have a problem with that.

AlexanderSupertramp

Bronze

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:07 pm

I'm a 31 year old 1L with three small children. They're 8, 5 and 4 months. I'm full time, though. I stay on campus from 8-6 everyday which is about how long I'd be away from them if I worked. I don't bring work home at night during the week and I only study after they're in bed on the weekends. So far it has been working out very well. Sometimes I feel a disconnect from the other students even those who are my age because I have such a different life than they do. It's really all about using your time wisely.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”