2.1 gpa 167 lsat AA male Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
blackman1

New

2.1 gpa 167 lsat AA male

Post by blackman1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:55 pm

Im 24 years old, veteran of the navy and a african american male. In college i balanced part time jobs while providing for 2 kids I had when I was 16. I just barely graduated from college but finished my last three semesters with 3.0 gpa. I regret never retaking classes I barely passed early in my college career. Its too late now. I took a whole year to study for the lsat and I swear I paid for every course under the sun. I scored a 167 LSAT. I graduated from wayne state university but Im not interested in staying in michigan. Its dried up and i want my kids to be able to play outside. I know that sounds silly but if you have ever lived in detroit you know what Im talking about. Im only considering schools in the south.

Im looking into 3rd tier schools. Here are my choices. I hope you can tell me where I should focus my attention. Money for applications is tight and I dont want to give my money away if there isnt even a chance. I dont care if i end up a millionaire, I just want to provide my family with a good living and better opportunities than i had.

U Arkansas-Little Rock

Loyola U New Orleans

Texas Tech U

Stetson U

U South Carolina (reach)

John Marshall (safety)

Barry U (safety)

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Re: 2.1 gpa 167 lsat AA male

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:10 pm

Ask for some need-based fee waivers to better schools (T1). Although your splitter status will hurt you, because you are URM and are non-traditional with a good story to weave into a personal statement, a T1 may take a chance on you. If you want an idea, check out the predictor calculator at lawschoolnumbers.com

Greenz

New

Post by Greenz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Prepare a fee waiver request email for schools, distribute them liberally in area where you want to live/school you would consider. You have an interesting story to build on, maybe add a brief synopsis of your situation. Do not just limit yourself to 3rd tier schools. I have a similar gpa (0 excuse/reason for mine though), worse LSAT but got into a lower 100 school. I'm assuming you did not qualify or try for the LSAC fee waiver?

Some schools don’t care who they give waivers out to, some places may ask for income verification. Can’t hurt to ask, a closed mouth doesn’t get fed.

blackman1

New

Post by blackman1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:36 pm

man i didnt even know about fee waivers! That changes everything. Im a pro at writing for public assistance. Im on every public assistance program imaginable and have been most of my life. Do you think UMIAMI is a real possibility for me? Their bottom 25% is 3.19 with 156 Lsat. My gpa is only 2.0!!

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:43 pm

blackman1 wrote:man i didnt even know about fee waivers! That changes everything. Im a pro at writing for public assistance. Im on every public assistance program imaginable and have been most of my life. Do you think UMIAMI is a real possibility for me? Their bottom 25% is 3.19 with 156 Lsat. My gpa is only 2.0!!
:roll: this is the worst forum on TLS that you can choose to troll. The URLS Forum is supportive and positive, so you're really just wasting your time. Good luck though

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:49 pm

I know a non-URM 169/2.3 that got T20 and T30 with $$$. You should apply next cycle and blanket the T15-40. Your story, plus your LSAT and URM status will appeal to some very good schools. Seriously, don't be discouraged to the point where you think USCarolina is a "reach," because your chances are better than you think.

P.S. If you're a troll, get a life.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:56 pm

I apologize for offering you a bit of advice that would allow you to apply to better schools. If you say something along the lines of
blackman1 wrote:Money for applications is tight and I dont want to give my money away if there isnt even a chance.
the suggestion will be to ask for need-based fee waivers.

Keep that attitude up though. I'm sure everyone will be be glad to help you when you respond like this:
blackman1 wrote:man i didnt even know about fee waivers! That changes everything. Im a pro at writing for public assistance. Im on every public assistance program imaginable and have been most of my life. Do you think UMIAMI is a real possibility for me? Their bottom 25% is 3.19 with 156 Lsat. My gpa is only 2.0!!

blackman1

New

Post by blackman1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:15 pm

look man. Im not a troll ok. Im a real person with a real fucki* life. GTFOH. Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. But I think I'll be taking my questions from no on somewhere else. Here I am asking for help and im being called a troll on my first damn day on this mf. I put so much effort into the LSAT that I didnt really do my homework into the nitty gritty details of the application process. We are all learning here. Take it easy. Again, thank you for your time. Good luck to you all. I've taken the day to revise my targets. Reaching for the stars from now on.

UMIAMI
UFLORIDA
UTENN
UHOUSTON
ALABAMA
EMORY
PLUS ALL TIER 3 IN THE SOUTH.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:32 pm

blackman1 wrote:I put so much effort into the LSAT that I didnt really do my homework into the nitty gritty details of the application process. We are all learning here.

True, but be mindful of some of the things you say here. Admissions deans actually follow these boards. How many 2.1/167 AA males who want to apply to the exact schools you listed are actually out there? Probably just one: you. Don't risk outing yourself. Use your head, and be more careful about what you say and how you say it.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:26 pm

To tell you the truth, Nobody, I mean nobody, will be able to predict your cycle. I'll say apply very early next cycle and see where the chips fall.

P.S. Make sure you have an addendum for your GPA though

LangstonLaw

New

Post by LangstonLaw » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:16 pm

Here's your choices

You can do better than a 3rd tier

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:29 pm

apply to as many places as possible as early as possible

you underestimate your competitiveness as an applicant. You will have a better shot at splitter friendly schools (schools that like high LSAT more than they dislike low GPA) like Northwestern, UVa, Minnesota, Washington U at St. Louis, Indiana Bloomington.

UC Hastings this thing called the Legal Education Opportunity Program (LEOP) that's designed to accept applicants who have potential but had to overcome a lot of hardships a long the way. I strongly suggest applying as a LEOP candidate at UCH as well (unless you don't want to work in CA, in that case don't).
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:21 am

Howard University not up for consideration?

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:47 pm

LangstonLaw wrote:Here's your choices

You can do better than a 3rd tier

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

LSP is not so great for splitters. But you're right, OP should be more optimistic.

blackman1

New

Post by blackman1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:53 pm

OP here! I've been accepted to UMiami. My law school search has ended. I received a 50% scholarship with the opportunity to receive more with above 3.0 performance and or substantial community service work. I sincerely thank all of you for your help.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:05 pm

CONGRATS! Best of luck :D

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”