T>GL>B? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
PlugInBaby

Bronze

T>GL>B?

Post by PlugInBaby » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:40 pm

Often I read that LGBT applicants won't get that much of a signifigant boost in terms of their likelihood of admission. I agree for that as a whole that is most likely true but what I am very skeptical about is whether the groups within the group get equal consideration. To me it makes more sense that a transgender applicant, part of a segment of society which still face a strong onslaught of misconceptions and bigotry, would get a greater boost than a bisexual applicant who has the aegis of heterosexuality to whether the storm of discrimination. I would imagine gays and lesbians to be somewhere in between.

I do not have any empirical evidence to support this assertion so feel free to correct me if i am way off base here.

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Re: T>GL>B?

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Wed May 05, 2010 6:56 pm

Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed May 05, 2010 7:06 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:Often I read that LGBT applicants won't get that much of a signifigant boost in terms of their likelihood of admission. I agree for that as a whole that is most likely true but what I am very skeptical about is whether the groups within the group get equal consideration. To me it makes more sense that a transgender applicant, part of a segment of society which still face a strong onslaught of misconceptions and bigotry, would get a greater boost than a bisexual applicant who has the aegis of heterosexuality to whether the storm of discrimination. I would imagine gays and lesbians to be somewhere in between.

I do not have any empirical evidence to support this assertion so feel free to correct me if i am way off base here.

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Wed May 05, 2010 7:22 pm

Bisexuals are often ostracized by both the gay and straight communities. I agree that transgenders probably face the most discrimination. None of that, of course, has anything to do with how well they are represented in law school, which as I understand it is what is most important for the purposes of boosting one's admissions chances.

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Wed May 05, 2010 7:32 pm

If you were an adcomm how would you rank them? Really, it's about the numbers, and after that it comes down to the personal tastes of the person reading your application. You may as well just guess, I doubt there could be conclusive assertions about this in terms of the whole of law school admissions committees.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Wed May 05, 2010 7:43 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:If you were an adcomm how would you rank them?

Lesbians > everything else.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed May 05, 2010 7:45 pm

hombredulce wrote:

Hot Lesbians (and bisexuals) > everything else.
ftfy

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed May 05, 2010 8:18 pm

romothesavior wrote:
hombredulce wrote:

Hot Lesbians (and bisexuals) > everything else.
ftfy
/thread

Gold

Post by 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:49 pm

That OP begs for memeing, but I feel like doing it in the URM forum is a party foul no matter how flamey the OP is...

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Wed May 05, 2010 8:58 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:Often I read that LGBT applicants won't get that much of a signifigant boost in terms of their likelihood of admission. I agree for that as a whole that is most likely true but what I am very skeptical about is whether the groups within the group get equal consideration. To me it makes more sense that a transgender applicant, part of a segment of society which still face a strong onslaught of misconceptions and bigotry, would get a greater boost than a bisexual applicant who has the aegis of heterosexuality to whether the storm of discrimination. I would imagine gays and lesbians to be somewhere in between.

It was an honest to goodness query. I realized that such speculation may upset people, but I felt that I was a question worth asking.

FTR I am bisexual myself and I expect absolutely no consideration of it as a diversity soft from any adcomm.

glowhard

New

Post by glowhard » Wed May 05, 2010 9:13 pm

the only school i know of that actually asks is penn. and the question was something like "do you self-identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender?" so from that, there could be no difference. because there's no way of knowing. i guess people could self-identify in their personal statements if it was relevant to why they want to go to law school, but i think this focus would be treated like any other "soft." i've also read that lgbt status has no effect on chance of admission (like, adcomms said this... wish i could find a link).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”