URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
texcellence

Bronze

Re: URM 2016-2017 Cycle Thread

Post by texcellence » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:53 pm

hammy393 wrote:Here's the 2016-2017 URM cycle results excel -- please add your info to help out future URMs!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
y'all i almost cannot handle all our excellence

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:03 pm

based off our limited sample on our spreadsheets, I am kicking myself for not trying to go to a better undergrad lol

just going to repeat that I think we under value how admissions look at undergrads

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:13 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:based off our limited sample on our spreadsheets, I am kicking myself for not trying to go to a better undergrad lol

just going to repeat that I think we under value how admissions look at undergrads
i completely agree, at least w/r/t URMs. makes me wonder how my cycle had turned out had i not turned down Ivy UGs for financial reasons T_T but looks at us, we're doing thangs!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:16 pm

SEO ding

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:16 pm

texcellence wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:based off our limited sample on our spreadsheets, I am kicking myself for not trying to go to a better undergrad lol

i completely agree, at least w/r/t URMs. makes me wonder how my cycle had turned out had i not turned down Ivy UGs for financial reasons T_T but looks at us, we're doing thangs!
Ivy would have really helped from what I've seen.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:22 pm

I agree, especially for URMs, and especially at HYS

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:SEO ding
Sorry to hear that. Did you just get an email?

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:25 pm

hammy393 wrote:
Yeah I got an email

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:48 pm

texcellence wrote:

Sigh. ASU student here. Kill me now.

AJ1010

Bronze

Post by AJ1010 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:51 pm

Hey guys. I just got an apartment on Mass ave directly across the street from HLS. If any girls are coming next year and looking for a roommate, PM me!

lula43

Bronze

Post by lula43 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:14 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
hammy393 wrote:
Yeah I got an email
Same here, Chukes. I had a late start date and will always wonder if that impacted the decision. *shrugs*

stjeff00

New

Post by stjeff00 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:30 pm

presidentspivey wrote:
texcellence wrote:

Sigh. ASU student here. Kill me now.
How much does ranking of Undergrad actually matter? :shock:

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:25 pm

Yeah, we often hear how UG doesn't matter, classes, don't matter, and only GPA/LSAT matter. I have to say that just doesn't seem the case. At least not w/r/t HYS.
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:17 am

I went to an Ivy+ known for grade deflation and my URM friends, especially if they were black, consistently beat their numbers for law school admissions even w/r/t URM statistics. I think it definitely makes a difference. I assume admissions believes that a lower GPA at an Ivy or some other strong and tough school (think MIT, Swarthmore) is a safer bet than a higher yet still splitter GPA at other schools. Whether this call is realistic, correct or fair is another story.
Last edited by principalagent on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chetobeto

New

Post by chetobeto » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:24 am

I actually went to one of those clinics that the top 14 host where you get to talk to all of the admissions deans, and that was one of the questions I asked.

I asked if going to a small state school would impact my chances at admissions, versus going to at least a more well known top public, or a private/Ivy.

Every dean told me the same thing, that it didn't matter. Except Georgetown's dean. She actually told me that it doesn't really matter where you go, unless you went to a really good school like Harvard.

Those were pretty much her exact words if my memory serves me well as it was like close to a year ago when I went.

Mrocky2

New

Post by Mrocky2 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:43 am

chetobeto wrote:I actually went to one of those clinics that the top 14 host where you get to talk to all of the admissions deans, and that was one of the questions I asked.

I asked if going to a small state school would impact my chances at admissions, versus going to at least a more well known top public, or a private/Ivy.

Every dean told me the same thing, that it didn't matter. Except Georgetown's dean. She actually told me that it doesn't really matter where you go, unless you went to a really good school like Harvard.

Those were pretty much her exact words if my memory serves me well as it was like close to a year ago when I went.
For some random reason I was thinking about this the other day. Adcoms say that, but in practice idk if it's the case at my T6 most of the URM's went to top 20 private schools, or top 20 LAC (Williams, Amherst etc) or flagship state schools (that's maybe 1/5 at most), or top HBCU (Howard, Spelman, Morehouse) and across the law school more generally almost no one is from a so called "no name school". They're at least from top 100 US News with over 50% from the the top 10-20. I just can't imagine that there aren't top students at the thousands of other schools with great GPAs and respectable LSATs applyin to law school. So that's all anecdotal, but seems less of a correlation and more causation to me.

Drea

New

Post by Drea » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:20 pm

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think going to an Ivy+ school is helpful for URMs because it's usually a good indicator for ad coms of the rigor of an applicant's undergraduate schooling. In that way, an URM who excels at Ivy+ school is obviously looked upon very favorably. And I would assume that an URM with good but not outstanding numbers at an Ivy+ is still an attractive applicant because they've demonstrated they can handle a rigorous academic environment. For applicants from non Ivy+ schools that don't perform as well, however. ad coms may be less lenient. Nonetheless, I don't think not going to an Ivy+ school should be seen as a disadvantage. Because an URM who does outstanding anywhere is an attractive applicant at the end of the day.

Also, I'm speaking very generally here. Nobody should assume that they have a great shot simply because they went to an Ivy+ school. And those who did not also shouldn't feel like that precludes them from having a real chance at any law school. There are so so so many factors at play with these things.

(And I also wouldn't be surprised if it's just that many, if not most, of the URM applicants to T14/T6 schools simply come from highly ranked undergrads.)

HarvardHopeful95

Bronze

Post by HarvardHopeful95 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:04 pm

Can I just express how proud I am of all of us? Like, we are all doing incredible things, some of us against ridiculous odds. Great job to everyone!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:38 pm

HarvardHopeful95 wrote:Can I just express how proud I am of all of us? Like, we are all doing incredible things, some of us against ridiculous odds. Great job to everyone!
+180

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:45 pm

brinicolec wrote:
HarvardHopeful95 wrote:Can I just express how proud I am of all of us? Like, we are all doing incredible things, some of us against ridiculous odds. Great job to everyone!
+180
Same. I'm honestly so excited for and proud of all you guys. Wishing you all the best and if you ever find yourself in Durham, holla at your girl

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Drea wrote: There are so so so many factors at play with these things.

(And I also wouldn't be surprised if it's just that many, if not most, of the URM applicants to T14/T6 schools simply come from highly ranked undergrads.)
Man!!! I agree with you soo much, but then i have to disagree with you a litle as well.

I attended a a school that is outside T100 on USNWR report for 2 years, then transferred to top 20 LAC.
Got into T14/T!3 schools, and wait-listed for one school which is like a SUPER SUPER Reach for me.

I have a friend with a higher GPA, slightly lower LSAT from the T100> school - No T13 acceptances, almost identical softs, better LORs - But much softer major - I was STEM, he was pretty easy major). His essays were about the same as mine as well, and he even applied earlier.

Granted our stories are even similar - sons of immigrants, grew up together for a bit, played on same sports teams, etc.

I definitely think school attended factors in a bit more significantly than this site thinks.

As for most URMS that are qualified coming from higher ranked undergrads - thats very true - but also it indicates to me that the URM boost may be broken somewhat??? Ideally youre trying to increase representation in the legal field, and in my experience most of the URMs at top schools are wealthier on average relative to other URM in college period. I'm not saying that its the duty of the schools to fix - but I definitely think it is a problem.

As a Nigerian and African-American person myself - I feel very conflicted with the boost myself. I was born here and America is definitely my home - but I know that even though I've never been above lower middle class - i still had a ton of advantages that quite frankly - i know others dont. But I've made sure to volunteer and be active in the black communities wherever I've been at, and I really think that showed, particularly with the in-person interviews I had.

I could wax lyrical forever lol I suppose - but long story short, I think the legal field above all fields needs to be the most fair.

beantheshadow

Bronze

Post by beantheshadow » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:57 pm

Arizona State grad whose attending Chicago! 8)

It did feel funny at admitted students day when we we're introducing ourselves at one of the little lunches and I was wedged between a Princeton and Yale undergrad graduate. :shock:

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:03 pm

beantheshadow wrote:Arizona State grad whose attending Chicago! 8)

It did feel funny at admitted students day when we we're introducing ourselves at one of the little lunches and I was wedged between a Princeton and Yale undergrad graduate. :shock:
every ASW, when I said my college, students thought I meant the T10 LAC that is in the same city. after awhile I just stopped correcting people lol

smilingorch

New

Post by smilingorch » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:08 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:

every ASW, when I said my college, students thought I meant the T10 LAC that is in the same city. after awhile I just stopped correcting people lol
Amherst v UMass Amherst?

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:10 pm

smilingorch wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:

Amherst v UMass Amherst?
noopee. UMass A is far better ranked than my undergrad
Last edited by dietcoke1 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”