Recommend schools for an international student at ED process? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Miiiiiano

New

Recommend schools for an international student at ED process?

Post by Miiiiiano » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:40 am

Hi everyone,

I'm an international student with 3.7 GPA and 163 LSAT scores who is confused about which school I should apply at ED process.I've worked at company legal department for half year and LGBT nonprofit organization for half year.

For me, the only aim is to have a job which could sponsor H1B. However, it seems only big law firms would make it for international applicant. It's true that this LSAT score is not competitive but it's still uncertain I could take LSAT this year because of coronavirus situation. Maybe ED could help a little so I have to take this opportunity.

Actually I'm desperate already, so I'm ready to take law schools at Australia and Canada into consideration(or even HongKong, Singapore and other countries which had JD program). But I've heard that Singapore is anti-LGBT so I really don't want to try this.

Now I'm really struggling on what to do next at this post-coronavirus world.

Thanks for any advise and I'm looking forward to your response!

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Recommend schools for an international student at ED process?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:26 pm

You need to improve your LSAT score for US law schools to be a viable option. Needing H1B sponsorship means you need a T13 school at a minimum, and (ED or no) you're not going to get there with a 3.7 and a 163.

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:17 pm

I agree with the above. I would also add that the state of the legal market may not be favorable, particularly if you need visa sponsorship.

Miiiiiano

New

Post by Miiiiiano » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:30 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:26 pm
You need to improve your LSAT score for US law schools to be a viable option. Needing H1B sponsorship means you need a T13 school at a minimum, and (ED or no) you're not going to get there with a 3.7 and a 163.
I totally agree with you, but now the seats are still not available in my country. I even don't have an opportunity to retake :(

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:16 pm

Is your goal simply to leave your country and get a work visa? Are you from a commonwealth country? If so, the process for going to England and Wales is quite easy. You could also study your LLB at an RG uni and potentially get a gig with a firm in HK, but you'll really need top notch grades, and most likely need to speak various languages and potentially go to Oxbridge or LSE and maybe UCL or Kings. You could do an LLM or a GDL as well in England and Wales. I'm not as familiar with jumping across the border for practicing in Scotland or NI, but most Scottish practitioners study their llb at a uni in scotland. If you don't go to one of these top programs though it'll be tough to get a job as a barrister, and you'll need top grades (at least a 2:1); solicitors are more of a crap shoot and I know less about how competitive the process is (it is still competitive though).
Are you solely focused on being in the US? If not, I think that applying for JDs in Canada would be fine and going to McGill, u of T, BC, etc., could set you up for getting a visa, potentially.
You need to clarify your goals a bit so we can help you out more.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”