UCI or Pepperdine?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
epistomophilia

New

UCI or Pepperdine?

Post by epistomophilia » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:23 pm

Hi all,

Here is my current situation:

Pepperdine Law offered 150k. UCI Law offered 60k. Both of these figures are total over three years.

I like UCI because it has a much friendlier first-year grade distribution than Pepperdine (a B+ median as opposed to a B), it's a much better rank (27 vs 47 respectively), and it does not rank its students (unlike Pepperdine). In addition, I wish to transfer to UCLA Law after 1L. According to 509 reports and the friendlier grade distribution at UCI, it appears that transferring from UCI instead of Pepperdine would maximize my chances.

On the other hand, Pepperdine is essentially a full-ride. And we can't dispute the beautiful location. It's also slightly closer to Los Angeles than is Irvine (does that matter?).

A catch: If I cannot successfully transfer from UCI, I'd be stuck there with a lot of debt. Hence, Pepperdine would be the more conservative, risk-averse option. Thoughts?

I wish to be a lawyer practicing in the Los Angeles area. I'm not too convinced BigLaw is for me. I'm also interested in federal law enforcement.

cavalier1138

Re: UCI or Pepperdine?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:19 pm

epistomophilia wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:23 pm
I wish to be a lawyer practicing in the Los Angeles area. I'm not too convinced BigLaw is for me. I'm also interested in federal law enforcement.
If by "federal law enforcement," you mean "FBI agent," then don't go to law school. But if you want to practice law, read on...

Don't matriculate to any school you wouldn't be happy graduating from. Don't plan on transferring. Don't think about transferring. Don't make decisions based on whether you think that it would be easier to transfer because of the 1L curve.

What are your current stats? Odds are that retaking the LSAT can give you a better shot at UCLA/USC (I assume these are the schools you actually want to attend).

epistomophilia

New

Post by epistomophilia » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:32 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:19 pm
epistomophilia wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:23 pm
If by "federal law enforcement," you mean "FBI agent," then don't go to law school. But if you want to practice law, read on...

Don't matriculate to any school you wouldn't be happy graduating from. Don't plan on transferring. Don't think about transferring. Don't make decisions based on whether you think that it would be easier to transfer because of the 1L curve.

What are your current stats? Odds are that retaking the LSAT can give you a better shot at UCLA/USC (I assume these are the schools you actually want to attend).
165 LSAT and 3.7 from UC Berkeley undergrad. Took the test 3x. Will not take it again.

The Lsat Airbender

Silver

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:35 pm

$150k is a lot less than a full ride at Pepperdine. You're still looking at another $120-150k of expenses over three years, which is unacceptably expensive for such a mediocre school. UCI is indeed a stronger school but still insanely expensive, probably in the $200-220k range after that discount.

The above post is correct. You need to retake the LSAT and unlock cheaper and/or better options.

epistomophilia

New

Post by epistomophilia » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:19 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:35 pm
$150k is a lot less than a full ride at Pepperdine. You're still looking at another $120-150k of expenses over three years, which is unacceptably expensive for such a mediocre school. UCI is indeed a stronger school but still insanely expensive, probably in the $200-220k range after that discount.

The above post is correct. You need to retake the LSAT and unlock cheaper and/or better options.
The maximum scholarship at Pepperdine is 165k + 7k stipend. I think it's inaccurate to say that 150k is "a lot less than a full ride." Total expenses would be $90-100k. Your numbers are slightly off.

Retaking the LSAT would require another year off. In turn, that means another year of lost revenue as a practicing attorney. That sounds ludicrous, especially if I'm not looking for BigLaw. Besides, a significant jump (i.e. at least 4 points) becomes a lot cloudier at 165+ (the place I'm at).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:21 am

epistomophilia wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:19 am
Retaking the LSAT would require another year off. In turn, that means another year of lost revenue as a practicing attorney. That sounds ludicrous, especially if I'm not looking for BigLaw. Besides, a significant jump (i.e. at least 4 points) becomes a lot cloudier at 165+ (the place I'm at).
How does that seem ludicrous because you're not looking for biglaw? If anything, it makes far more sense, because your year of "lost revenue" means much less when you're working for $45-60k.

But I'm really confused about what you actually want to do with your degree. What kind of practice do you envision having? And how do you plan on paying off your $100k+ debt?

epistomophilia

New

Post by epistomophilia » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:48 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:21 am
epistomophilia wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:19 am
How does that seem ludicrous because you're not looking for biglaw? If anything, it makes far more sense, because your year of "lost revenue" means much less when you're working for $45-60k.

But I'm really confused about what you actually want to do with your degree. What kind of practice do you envision having? And how do you plan on paying off your $100k+ debt?
Right now I'm working with an attorney in the Los Angeles area who I significantly helped in building a landlord-tenant firm in the area. It's a very small boutique firm. He offered me a partnership position immediately upon graduating law school, wherever that is. It's not salaried (as a partner), but earnings would be at least $400k per year.

As I previously stated, I'm also interested in federal law enforcement. And when I mentioned "federal law enforcement," to which you replied, "don't go to law school if you are talking about the FBI," there are attorney positions within federal law enforcement agencies (like the FBI), which, needless to say, require law degrees and bar passage. JAG is also interesting.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:13 pm

epistomophilia wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:48 pm
He offered me a partnership position immediately upon graduating law school, wherever that is. It's not salaried (as a partner), but earnings would be at least $400k per year.
This seems like a fairly major detail to leave out.

Assuming that this was a real offer and not a "Look me up when you graduate" offer, then go to the cheapest school you can and rake in your millions (with the caveat that this seems way too good to be true).

Access

New

Post by Access » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:48 am

If the offer of graduation partnership is real, make him pay your tuition. Continue working on a 6 digit salary throughout law school and ignore your grades bc all that matters is getting your diploma and automatically making 400k.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:29 pm

Get the offer in writing to hire you after LS. Otherwise, don't count on it.

Golradaer

New

Post by Golradaer » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:43 pm

Of your current choices, Pepperdine is the better option. Given that you're not interested in big law, it's not necessary to aim for UCLA/USC and take out all of the loans transferring would entail (these schools don't offer scholarships to transfer students). Pepperdine is a perfectly acceptable school for someone who wants to practice in SoCal, especially in the small firm environment. Minimizing debt is the more important consideration.

Speaking as a current UCLA student, I don't think UCI is worth the money in this situation.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:43 pm

Golradaer wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:43 pm
Of your current choices, Pepperdine is the better option. Given that you're not interested in big law, it's not necessary to aim for UCLA/USC and take out all of the loans transferring would entail (these schools don't offer scholarships to transfer students). Pepperdine is a perfectly acceptable school for someone who wants to practice in SoCal, especially in the small firm environment. Minimizing debt is the more important consideration.

Speaking as a current UCLA student, I don't think UCI is worth the money in this situation.
If this guaranteed partnership is real, weird situation so maybe.

But otherwise, only people who should pay $150K to go to Pepperdine are people who are filthy rich. It's an overpriced school with lousy employment numbers that are going to get even worse in this economic climate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”