Is it worth it to reapply? 17high 3.6high

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Post Reply
navf60

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:31 pm

Is it worth it to reapply? 17high 3.6high

Post by navf60 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:17 pm

I've made some posts on reddit before, but wanted to ask some other forums to get feedback as well.

I had a bit of a rough cycle. I applied across the entire T14 and a few T25, and was waitlisted pretty much everywhere aside from Berkeley. Berkeley offered me $75,000, but in the end I just couldn't pull the trigger on ~200k debt when I wasn't sure about a coast-to-coast move (COVID certainly didn't help this, wasn't able to visit any schools aside from a couple close to me). The only other offer I ended up getting is a full ride to WUSTL, which I ended up applying to super late after they sent me an invitation (February). I'm planning on remaining on a few waitlists through July. On the plus side, I'm thrilled to have the offer from WUSTL. I went to school at the University of Kansas, and love the Midwest. I could see myself being happy there if I don't get a biglaw job in NYC/CHI. However, I'm also aware from trawling the law school forums that I underperformed my stats quite a bit. I applied relatively late this year (Late Dec- Early Jan), so it's hard to get over the thought that I shot myself in the foot taking forever to finish apps. I was so singularly focused on the LSAT that I didn't have any of my other app materials ready to go. The whole process felt pretty rushed. I'm excited at the prospect of going to WUSTL this fall, but also have the nagging thought that I could polish my application, apply day 1, and have better offers next year. I would also apply to less schools, now that I've been through the decision process with Berkeley and know I don't want west coast.

However, I'm not sure if this is a worthwhile trade-off. I'm about to turn 25, and I'm excited to get started on my new career path. I don't know if any school is worth delaying my career an entire year. I'm not BigLaw or bust, either. But again, hard to think about potential options I may be leaving on the table.

Would love to hear any perspective/advice on my decision. It's obviously a late enough point in the cycle where I want to make a final decision and move forward with it.

Thanks and good luck to all for the rest of the cycle!

namefromplace

New
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:11 am

Re: Is it worth it to reapply? 17high 3.6high

Post by namefromplace » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:26 pm

I would recommend against starting law school this fall. 26 is not an old age to be starting law school, and starting things in the midst of COVID is not ideal for myriad reasons. Not sure on your exact numbers, but it does seem like you underperformed significantly and could likely get a full ride at a T-14. Also, when re-applying this cycle, you should still apply to west coast schools, even if you don't want to end up on the west coast; at the very least, you could get a scholarship offer that helps your negotiate with schools you would prefer to study at.

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 8087
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Is it worth it to reapply? 17high 3.6high

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:19 pm

I don't think it's a big deal to take a year and wait. I think that would be the smarter move. There's no rush. Polish everything up and apply again early in the upcoming cycle.

AJordan

Silver
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 am

Re: Is it worth it to reapply? 17high 3.6high

Post by AJordan » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:07 pm

I'm pretty 50/50 on this but I'll play devil's advocate anyway.

I think WUSTL for full ride for a midwesterner comfortable in STL is an objectively good outcome. If it could be guaranteed that you get that full ride again next year and have another go at the cycle, I would 100% agree that reapply is the answer. And, to be fair, I think you'll probably get it again next year so *shrug*.

But. If you're not comfortable now with that WUSTL offer, what specifically are you hoping for that's better than that Berkley offer? Would you rather have the same offer at UVA/Mich/Penn/Duke? That might be doable, but what's going to change next cycle? Your numbers will be identical, so you're asking schools that already turned you down to not only accept you but give you similar money that you have now at Berkley. I have no insider knowledge that there may be a large number of deferrals for COVID, but I think common sense suggests those numbers will be up. Maybe schools will raise class sizes to counteract the money crisis? Maybe there will be an influx of unemployed applicants or a larger number of "change-seeking" applicants after... *gestures*... all of this. Lots of factors in play here. Next cycle seems pretty uncertain.

I think the outcome you got (WUSTL full ride and an offer with $-$$ at a lower tier T-14) is pretty consistent with your numbers. It's not like you're at/above both medians where you can be particularly pushy for more money. Taking another year, especially if you're employed already, is never a bad thing. Save money and hopefully we'll have a vaccine by fall 2021. I just think it's going to be difficult to improve on your cycle unless you have a specific school in the 7-13 range in mind.

navf60

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:31 pm

Re: Is it worth it to reapply? 17high 3.6high

Post by navf60 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:23 pm

Honestly there are some in the 8-13 I'd really be shooting for. I spoke with an admissions consultant who told me he thought I'd get some T14 money offers if I reapplied day 1. He really seemed to think that me applying during the log-jam time of Christmas was an issue, especially since I'm a splitter at almost every school I've applied to.

But to answer your question, yes, Michigan, Duke, Cornell, Northwestern, Virginia would all be priorities for me this time around. I've seen people with my stats get in the range of 90k-120k at those schools. I feel like that wouldn't be a crazy thing to shoot for, unless I'm going to get hurt reapplying to those schools. Like I said, I live on the east coast, and being across coasts from my family was kind of a dealbreaker. Honestly, the distance from family is part of the reason I'm not 100% on WUSTL right now. Though I do like WUSTL the more I think about it. I'm not hoping for some full ride to a T14, I know the ball park I'm in. It's honestly hard to move on with WUSTL which wasn't even on my radar first when I was waitlisted to all the schools I was really excited about. You're right that I can't change my numbers, but I feel that my whole application was rushed. I could definitely do a better PS, and write a "Why X?" to every school (I got burnt out and left them off at some schools this go-around).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


The Lsat Airbender

Silver
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Re: Is it worth it to reapply? 17high 3.6high

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:39 pm

navf60 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:23 pm
He really seemed to think that me applying during the log-jam time of Christmas was an issue, especially since I'm a splitter at almost every school I've applied to.
Yep, this makes sense. You'll likely do a lot better if you reapply at the start of the coming cycle.

AJordan

Silver
Posts: 507
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:48 am

Re: Is it worth it to reapply? 17high 3.6high

Post by AJordan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:08 am

navf60 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:23 pm
Honestly there are some in the 8-13 I'd really be shooting for. I spoke with an admissions consultant who told me he thought I'd get some T14 money offers if I reapplied day 1. He really seemed to think that me applying during the log-jam time of Christmas was an issue, especially since I'm a splitter at almost every school I've applied to.

But to answer your question, yes, Michigan, Duke, Cornell, Northwestern, Virginia would all be priorities for me this time around. I've seen people with my stats get in the range of 90k-120k at those schools. I feel like that wouldn't be a crazy thing to shoot for, unless I'm going to get hurt reapplying to those schools. Like I said, I live on the east coast, and being across coasts from my family was kind of a dealbreaker. Honestly, the distance from family is part of the reason I'm not 100% on WUSTL right now. Though I do like WUSTL the more I think about it. I'm not hoping for some full ride to a T14, I know the ball park I'm in. It's honestly hard to move on with WUSTL which wasn't even on my radar first when I was waitlisted to all the schools I was really excited about. You're right that I can't change my numbers, but I feel that my whole application was rushed. I could definitely do a better PS, and write a "Why X?" to every school (I got burnt out and left them off at some schools this go-around).
If all those schools are more amenable then I think you're in the right headspace. I'm not sure you can make a bad decision here. Sounds like you want to reapply and it doesn't seem like an overt mistake. Go for it.

User avatar
demos9

New
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:09 pm

Re: Is it worth it to reapply? 17high 3.6high

Post by demos9 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:08 pm

I would apply on day 1 next year. Unless you have URM I dont think you have T14 full ride numbers as a sure thing (you have a shot) but you're definitely looking at a very good chance at probably 1/2 or 2/3rds tuition at a Michigan or UVA or Duke.

Not to mention, know yourself, I'd hate to be a 1L next year all virtual

User avatar
Sackboy

Bronze
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:14 am

Re: Is it worth it to reapply? 17high 3.6high

Post by Sackboy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:36 pm

demos9 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:08 pm
I would apply on day 1 next year. Unless you have URM I dont think you have T14 full ride numbers as a sure thing (you have a shot) but you're definitely looking at a very good chance at probably 1/2 or 2/3rds tuition at a Michigan or UVA or Duke.

Not to mention, know yourself, I'd hate to be a 1L next year all virtual
Yeah, I feel like one or more of UVA, Duke, Michigan, Northwestern, or Cornell should be handing out $120,000 to these numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


dabigchina

Gold
Posts: 1809
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: Is it worth it to reapply? 17high 3.6high

Post by dabigchina » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:48 pm

Maybe I had one too many glasses of wine, but what is 17high? It might seem nit picky, but I think we should have your actual stats to opine.

HopefulSplitter0000

Bronze
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:51 am

Re: Is it worth it to reapply? 17high 3.6high

Post by HopefulSplitter0000 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:34 pm

dabigchina wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:48 pm
Maybe I had one too many glasses of wine, but what is 17high? It might seem nit picky, but I think we should have your actual stats to opine.
This comes from reddit. It means >75% for CCN and/or HYS. People write this when they do not want their exact stats to dox them, as the admissions officers for law schools follow TLS & Reddit.

Libya

New
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Re: Is it worth it to reapply? 17high 3.6high

Post by Libya » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:53 pm

Reapply the first day applications open next year. And consider ED at Northwestern if they still give that huge scholarship

The Lsat Airbender

Silver
Posts: 1052
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Re: Is it worth it to reapply? 17high 3.6high

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:20 am

HopefulSplitter0000 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:34 pm
dabigchina wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:48 pm
Maybe I had one too many glasses of wine, but what is 17high? It might seem nit picky, but I think we should have your actual stats to opine.
This comes from reddit. It means >75% for CCN and/or HYS. People write this when they do not want their exact stats to dox them, as the admissions officers for law schools follow TLS & Reddit.
Never made sense to me. A way more effective way to do this, without making it harder for people to give advice, is to change small things. E.g. if you're a 178/3.65, instead say you're a 177/3.68.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “Choosing a Law School”