Temple vs Villanova vs Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dholtz59

New

Temple vs Villanova vs Cardozo

Post by dholtz59 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:24 pm

I am trying to decide between Temple law, Nova law, and Cardozo. I am from the Philadelphia area and ultimately would like to work in BigLaw either in Philly or in NYC. I received 15k from Temple, 44k from Nova, and 40k from Dozo.

I know that it is unlikely to get Biglaw coming from any of these schools; however, I have good work experience as a stock trader on Wall Street as well as current experience with a large investment management company in the Philadelphia area. I went to a top 5 undergrad business school if that helps anything. I don't want to retake the LSAT (I scored a 163 first time) because A) I don't like my current job and don't want to spend another year doing it and B) my GPA is a 3.45 so even a 170 wouldn't guarantee me T14.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Re: Temple vs Villanova vs Cardozo

Post by decimalsanddollars » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:51 pm

What's the total COA of each school?

Assuming those numbers are scholarship per year, I'd choose between Villanova and Cardozo based on your target city and where you want to be for 3 years. Outside of T14, the general advice is to maximize options in your region and minimize cost; here, you kind of have to choose between Philly and NYC. Not convinced a Temple degree is worth $90k total more than Villanova.

Assuming those are total scholarships for all 3 years, retake and reapply. Not worth close-to-sticker for any of these schools.

dholtz59

New

Post by dholtz59 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:10 pm

My parents are going to be helping out a bit with food / rent and I don't really know what kind of apartment I'll move into so COA is tough to figure out right now.

However, Cost of tuition for 3 years would be:

Nova - 15k
Temple - 36k (I feel like I could negotiate by using Nova offer)
Cardozo - 60k (could poss negotiate)

Living in NYC is also way more expensive than Philly which is why going to Cardozo would be a tough move.

crazywafflez

Bronze

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:15 pm

These are all comparable schools. Go to the cheapest one that is where you would like to practice. I'd think Nova or Temple would be better fits for you merely cause you are from the area and philly is cheaper in general. Go to whichever one is around 60k CoA. If you are going over 90k debt for these schools, you are spending too much.
Best of luck.

jm2819

New

Post by jm2819 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:58 pm

dholtz59 wrote:I am trying to decide between Temple law, Nova law, and Cardozo. I am from the Philadelphia area and ultimately would like to work in BigLaw either in Philly or in NYC. I received 15k from Temple, 44k from Nova, and 40k from Dozo.

I know that it is unlikely to get Biglaw coming from any of these schools; however, I have good work experience as a stock trader on Wall Street as well as current experience with a large investment management company in the Philadelphia area. I went to a top 5 undergrad business school if that helps anything. I don't want to retake the LSAT (I scored a 163 first time) because A) I don't like my current job and don't want to spend another year doing it and B) my GPA is a 3.45 so even a 170 wouldn't guarantee me T14.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?
I'd try to negotiate with Cardozo and see if you can get them to at least match Villanova's offer. If so, maybe Cardozo's in play. If you know how to navigate NYC, you can live in the other boroughs like Brooklyn and Queens and lower COA. You can further lower COA if you live with roommates. Many of the students in Cardozo live in Manhattan and have shorter communited, but I never lived in Manhattan while I attended the school and did very well/ got big law etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”