Tulane 2/3 or LSU Free Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where 2 Go?

Tulane
58%
LSU
32%
Nah, Beach Bum
11%

Total votes: 19

RahVaMil15

New

Tulane 2/3 or LSU Free

Post by RahVaMil15 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:01 pm

Hi All First Time Poster!

I have received several Law School Offers based on My UGPA: 2.45 (Mech Engineer, don't hate only graduated 20/92 persons who started in the program) and a LSAT of 162. I narrowed the offers down to the 2 below, and I am looking for advise. Ultimate goal I hope to achieve post law school is to practice in criminal (prosecution is what I am drawn toward) or public interest, with a fall back of JAG Corp.

Tulane: 35,000 Scholarship Offer, graduate law school with 30-70k in debt. Live in NOLA, rank is #52

LSU: Full Out of State Scholarship: Graduate <10K debt, Live in Baton Rouge, Rank #100

THANKS!

decimalsanddollars

Bronze

Re: Tulane 2/3 or LSU Free

Post by decimalsanddollars » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:12 pm

Tulane places far better than LSU in every market in the country except maybe Baton Rouge itself, if that counts. If you want to work in Louisiana, it's not as big of a gap, but the Tulane degree will be much more portable later on and could enable you to do biglaw with good grades (LSU would not, absent top grades and/or connections). I think it's worth the cost difference, and also NOLA is a great place to spend 3 years, and while I've never been in Baton Rouge other than passing through, I can't imagine it's the same.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:39 am

decimalsanddollars wrote:Tulane places far better than LSU in every market in the country except maybe Baton Rouge itself, if that counts. If you want to work in Louisiana, it's not as big of a gap, but the Tulane degree will be much more portable later on and could enable you to do biglaw with good grades (LSU would not, absent top grades and/or connections). I think it's worth the cost difference, and also NOLA is a great place to spend 3 years, and while I've never been in Baton Rouge other than passing through, I can't imagine it's the same.
Tulane isn't that portable and getting biglaw from it is much easier said than done. I'd take the full ride to LSU. Seeing as the poster appears to be down to two Louisiana schools, I'm thinking he or she plans to remain in Louisiana. If that's the plan, graduating with very little debt will offer a lot of flexibility. Considering what the average job is for Tulane or LSU grad, it'll be helpful to graduate with little debt. That's especially true if OP continues to want to practice criminal or public interest law.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:27 pm

I'm at Tulane now on a 39.5k scholly. It is not worth it. I'm median- came in thinking I'd be top and chose it over Emory or UTk. (I'm from TN and want to go back or Texas). Do not come unless you are gonna finish around 75-90k in debt (including living expenses). I got an offer back in TN- got wrecked in NOLA (they kept asking where I went to high school which sucked). Did mediocre in Texas (Houston and Waco only) and FL (Jacksonville, not Miami or Orlando), didn't get offers from anywhere else. I have a few friends who are going to some places in the midwest but most of my friends who were not top 20% or had some connections back home are struggling. I got lucky, I have connections back home. About half my friends were lucky, the other half not so much. I'd take LSU tbh unless you're really fixated on NY big law or Houston big law. You've got a chance here, but you better be on LR. Best of luck.

RahVaMil15

New

Tulane, LSU, Texas A&M

Post by RahVaMil15 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:25 am

So I posted earlier, but have also garnered acceptance to Texas A&M(who gave me a whopping 12 days to consider their offer....)

My choices are:
-Texas A&M, no scholarship, but VA benefits in TX.
-LSU: Full scholarship.
-Tulane: 2/3 covered, would graduate with 30-70k in loans, depending on some outside factors.

I am looking to pursue international comparative law, criminal, or (if the money is really good and the industry is interesting, space industry???) Intellectual Property (undergrad was Mechanical Engineering and I am currently working in submarine design). My ultimate goal is to be doing meaningful interesting work, otherwise I'd go back to my large salary engineering job and sit for the Professional Engineering Exam, bleh.

I am leaning towards Tulane 80% decided, but figured to ask for opinions once more.

Thanks, and Stay Frosty
-J
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with original topic. No need for a new thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:15 pm

RahVaMil15 wrote:I am looking to pursue international comparative law, criminal, or (if the money is really good and the industry is interesting, space industry???) Intellectual Property (undergrad was Mechanical Engineering and I am currently working in submarine design). My ultimate goal is to be doing meaningful interesting work, otherwise I'd go back to my large salary engineering job and sit for the Professional Engineering Exam, bleh.
Those are radically different fields. And that's fine, but it does raise a bit of a flag regarding how much you've thought through this. Comparative international law is a class title, not a field of practice, and space law, insofar as it exists, is likely centered around patents and property at the moment (Side note: Why aren't you interested in IP/patent lit with your background?).

But basically, if you're already getting a good salary as an engineer, then don't waste three years of your life and a bunch of money on the off-chance that you find a meaningful and interesting career.

RahVaMil15

New

Post by RahVaMil15 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:38 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
RahVaMil15 wrote:I am looking to pursue international comparative law, criminal, or (if the money is really good and the industry is interesting, space industry???) Intellectual Property (undergrad was Mechanical Engineering and I am currently working in submarine design). My ultimate goal is to be doing meaningful interesting work, otherwise I'd go back to my large salary engineering job and sit for the Professional Engineering Exam, bleh.
Those are radically different fields. And that's fine, but it does raise a bit of a flag regarding how much you've thought through this. Comparative international law is a class title, not a field of practice, and space law, insofar as it exists, is likely centered around patents and property at the moment (Side note: Why aren't you interested in IP/patent lit with your background?).

But basically, if you're already getting a good salary as an engineer, then don't waste three years of your life and a bunch of money on the off-chance that you find a meaningful and interesting career.

The Space Law was mean to be an example of a field where i would be interested in IP, I do understand that that field would be primarily IP. No intergalactic space pirates to prosecute yet...hahaha.jkjk

Comparative law is a poor choice of words on my part, i was able to work supporting a peace treaty mission for a year and found the legal aspect of it fascinating, i know there is legal work solving international issues (maritime, trade, etc i suppose this is a better explanation of interest)

The engineering thing... well.. I have spent a significant amount of time exploring options and paths in the field. Its not for me. I selected the major because it had the best career prospects, bad choice...

Johnnybgoode92

Silver

Post by Johnnybgoode92 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:44 pm

LSU and it’s not even close.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:39 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:LSU and it’s not even close.
Agreed

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:06 pm

Again, I'd take LSU. Tulane is worth it for that price but I'd still rather do LSU tbh. If you're set on doing maritime law/ admiralty, then maybe, maybe Tulane. Still do not hedge bets on that at all. You won't make more as an attorney than you will as an engineer from these schools. You've got a chance if you're on LR and going into maybe energy law in Louisiana or TX, but it is just a chance. There's some good stuff under Kim Talus at Tulane- he's a great teacher here, and he can help you do intern work if you're really looking at international energy law (specifically pipelines), but I doubt it'll translate to a job. Idk any Tulane alum that really work on peace treaties or anything. I think Robert Sloan did something with energy needs in Egypt and Israel- but he is a professor here as well, not a student.
Most of us Tulane grads become attorneys, but struggle paying off the debt. Most of us stay in the South or become grunts in NYC.
I think the outcomes will be fairly similar at LSU but just contained to Louisiana. - again though, most of our class is from out of state (I tihnk upwards of 75%), about half of 40% of them stick around in state; and I can bet half of those folks want to leave but can't.
Best of luck

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”