Save Money By Going to a Cheap State Law School & Getting An LLM From a Top Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gokira2012

New

Save Money By Going to a Cheap State Law School & Getting An LLM From a Top Law School

Post by gokira2012 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:51 am

This seems like the ideal solution

nealric

Re: Save Money By Going to a Cheap State Law School & Getting An LLM From a Top Law School

Post by nealric » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:16 am

Unfortunately, employers don’t view an LLM from a top school as remotely equivalent. Admissions are comparatively lax. Outside of tax, top school LLMs are targeted at foreign lawyers.

Dcc617

Gold

Re: Save Money By Going to a Cheap State Law School & Getting An LLM From a Top Law School

Post by Dcc617 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:18 am

That's an awful idea.

Law school is not like undergrad.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:21 am

nealric wrote:Unfortunately, employers don’t view an LLM from a top school as remotely equivalent. Admissions are comparatively lax. Outside of tax, top school LLMs are targeted at foreign lawyers.
this. Plus, any respectable state school is still going to cost a lot of money (the state school I attended currently charges $31,836/yr tuition in-state (total COA estimate = $54,120), LLMs themselves are pretty expensive, and then you have the opportunity cost of losing 1 year of income/job experience/progression (the latter isn't so big a deal - if someone is deciding whether to apply now or a year later to get better scores I'd always say apply a year later - but it matters to some people, especially since you will have incurred law school debt by then and be running up interest).

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:48 am

gokira2012 wrote:This seems like the ideal solution
In what way?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

VirginiaFan

New

Post by VirginiaFan » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:12 am

I think this used to be a common thing. Justice Powell went to W&L and then Harvard for an LLM for the prestige boost. But yes, I agree with others, this is a bad plan if your goal is gainful employment.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:46 pm

VirginiaFan wrote:I think this used to be a common thing. Justice Powell went to W&L and then Harvard for an LLM for the prestige boost. But yes, I agree with others, this is a bad plan if your goal is gainful employment.
Law degrees used to be considered bachelor’s degrees until around the 1960s. LLMs were a way to show advance study at the time. Likely had nothing to do with his desire for a prestige boost.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”