Harvard vs. NYU (Vanderbilt) vs. Columbia (Butler) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jt716

New

Harvard vs. NYU (Vanderbilt) vs. Columbia (Butler)

Post by jt716 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:33 am

Hi, looking for some input deciding between these options. Coming straight out of undergrad. I'm not interested in BigLaw-- I want to do a clerkship and then PI work (thinking either ACLU impact lit or USAO/NYCDA). Ideally I want to be a federal judge in the long-term. I know everyone on here tends to tell you to take the money and run, but wondering if the type of PI work I want to do and the fact that I personally would only be on the hook for ~50% of Harvard changes the calculus.

GPA 3.9, LSAT 178.

NYU- Vanderbilt (full tuition) but 60k debt for living expenses
Columbia- Butler (half tuition)
Harvard- sticker with family help (~50% covered)
Last edited by jt716 on Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Re: Harvard vs. NYU (Vanderbilt) vs. Columbia (Butler)

Post by existentialcrisis » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:59 am

NYU.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:09 am

existentialcrisis wrote:NYU.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:11 am

I'd go with NYU given your goals. (unless you can somehow get more $ from CLS)

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:12 am

I would take the Vanderbilt and never, ever look back.

Yes, H might give you a slightly better shot at impact lit than NYU but it'll still be a very-outside chance. It's not as though a median bro (or even a top-25% gunner at H is crushing those SPLC/ALCU offers. So, you'd be, in essence, paying 150K for a intensely-marginal increase in opportunity for what is correctly called a "unicorn" opportunity. Don't bet the farm buying lottery tickets.

In contrast, with the Vanderbilt, you've got a 100% chance of low-to-no debt thereby giving you the freedom to go anywhere and do anything that your heart desires. Money becomes "no problem". So, you can take that career-building job that pays shit. You can follow your heart and help XXXXX cause/person/organization. Think about not only the quality of life that will build for you but also the "quality of career". All of a sudden, you can scoff at others making career choices based on money and focus on whatever niche or avenue will make the most impact and allow you to feel most fulfilled. Never underestimate that freedom.
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:43 pm

NYU.

drjekyllope

New

Post by drjekyllope » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:48 pm

i'm a 0L but i've got debt from undergrad and let me tell you, debt is real and it is a shackle on your brain. go to NYU. their LRAP is dope and, like meerkat points out, you're gonna have similar career options as you would at H, but without the burden of giant debt holding you back.

go to NYU, be happy.

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Post by Pure Applesauce » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:12 pm

full tuition from NYU is an amazing outcome--one of the best possible

take it

run

never look back

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:53 pm

I'm pretty annoyed at Columbia for not giving you the Hamilton with those stats, but yes, NYU is the right call here. Did you get waitlisted at Yale?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jt716

New

Post by jt716 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:02 pm

RSN wrote:I'm pretty annoyed at Columbia for not giving you the Hamilton with those stats, but yes, NYU is the right call here. Did you get waitlisted at Yale?
Haven't heard anything from Yale yet. I applied later in the cycle so maybe that's why I didn't get the Hamilton.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:07 pm

NYU

texasellewoods

Bronze

Post by texasellewoods » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:32 pm

I had the exact same options --- I chose Harvard and feel like it was definitely the right choice. That being said, I want to settle in Texas and the Harvard name is incredibly powerful down there while NYU is like eh. I think the access to professors/guest speakers is a huge benefit to H. I have no interest in a clerkship so I don't know much about the relative strengths of the program, but I can't imagine H would be worse than NYU. The grading system here is BEAUTIFUL and I am legit never stressed about grades here which is a blessing as a 1L haha. Do not underestimate that feeling.
Taking the money is definitely a fantastic option, and I'm certainly not saying ignore that -- just know that most people at H had high money offers from other schools and all picked H, and the vast majority of people I know are very happy with that choice!

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:22 pm

Harvard's not even on the good side of the river. Go NYU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:35 pm

Just curious why you'll have 50% of tuition covered at Harvard with family help but need to take on 60k COL debt at NYU?

jt716

New

Post by jt716 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:48 am

goldenbear2020 wrote:Just curious why you'll have 50% of tuition covered at Harvard with family help but need to take on 60k COL debt at NYU?
Not a great reason really- it's covered by Stafford loans, and they think 60k debt is manageable on a PI income.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:13 am

texasellewoods wrote:I had the exact same options --- I chose Harvard and feel like it was definitely the right choice. That being said, I want to settle in Texas and the Harvard name is incredibly powerful down there while NYU is like eh. I think the access to professors/guest speakers is a huge benefit to H. I have no interest in a clerkship so I don't know much about the relative strengths of the program, but I can't imagine H would be worse than NYU. The grading system here is BEAUTIFUL and I am legit never stressed about grades here which is a blessing as a 1L haha. Do not underestimate that feeling.
Taking the money is definitely a fantastic option, and I'm certainly not saying ignore that -- just know that most people at H had high money offers from other schools and all picked H, and the vast majority of people I know are very happy with that choice!
Unless OP wants to work in Texas, nothing you've said has anything to offer other than a textbook example of Cambridge Syndrome

Box11RowG

New

Post by Box11RowG » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:29 am

You can't really go wrong here. Debt can be psychologically damaging but if you are certain about your career goals, you will likely be on LRAP for your entire loan repayment period. That being said, I would definitely go with NYU, and there's no way Columbia should be a contender at double the cost. Given your interests, NYU probably has the strongest curriculum, and PI impact litigation jobs will be just as open to you there as they would at HLS. I don't think those jobs are a long shot for anyone at these schools; they just take demonstrated and specific interest. (Grades matter much less.) Most PI opportunities of the kind you sound interested in will be more easily accessible out of NYU than Columbia. (For example, the ford foundation fellowship program is open to HYS student and NYU students only.)

Tl;dr: NYU is the right decision but HLS would be a good decision too.

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Post by Pure Applesauce » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:11 am

texasellewoods wrote:I had the exact same options --- I chose Harvard and feel like it was definitely the right choice. That being said, I want to settle in Texas and the Harvard name is incredibly powerful down there while NYU is like eh. I think the access to professors/guest speakers is a huge benefit to H. I have no interest in a clerkship so I don't know much about the relative strengths of the program, but I can't imagine H would be worse than NYU. The grading system here is BEAUTIFUL and I am legit never stressed about grades here which is a blessing as a 1L haha. Do not underestimate that feeling.
Ask yourself if this person is paying back and working debt yet

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”