170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
oalkhawaja

New

170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Post by oalkhawaja » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:10 am

Hey everyone,

So I have a 170 and a 3.86 gpa and I am an URM with decent softs and great letters of recs. I applied last cycle mid December and I got into Columbia, Berkley and Penn, I got waitlisted at Chicago, Harvard, and Yale, and I didn't apply to Stanford or NYU.

I have a $50,000 scolly for Columbia and I have deferred for a year however I am thinking of canceling my deferral and reapplying for the next cycle. I really really wanted to get into Harvard and I would rather attend Yale, Chicago, or Stanford (it was a dumb reason why I didn't apply here the first time) rather than Columbia.

The only thing that I can add to my application is a few awards I got from my school (graduating senior of the year etc) and a couple internships with the red cross and the international refugee committee.

1) How much would applying earlier with a more complete and refined application really impact my chances?
2) Will Columbia hate me for cancelling the deferment and reapplying (will they not want to even look at my application anymore)?

Thanks in advance :)

Tempo

New

Re: 170/3.86 accepted to Columbia($), reapply?

Post by Tempo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:12 am

According to MyLSN, you got just about what should be expected (http://mylsn.info/s4s7nu/), and I made this chart as if you submitted between September and October.

If you could boost that LSAT score a few points, that would open even more doors. With a 172-173 you could go to Harvard, or Columbia with twice as much money. If you don't want to retake the LSAT though, I think this is pretty expected for Columbia. They're LSAT heavy.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:04 am

oalkhawaja wrote:Hey everyone,

So I have a 170 and a 3.86 gpa and I am an URM with decent softs and great letters of recs. I applied last cycle mid December and I got into Columbia, Berkley and Penn, I got waitlisted at Chicago, Harvard, and Yale, and I didn't apply to Stanford or NYU.

I have a $50,000 scolly for Columbia and I have deferred for a year however I am thinking of canceling my deferral and reapplying for the next cycle. I really really wanted to get into Harvard and I would rather attend Yale, Chicago, or Stanford (it was a dumb reason why I didn't apply here the first time) rather than Columbia.

The only thing that I can add to my application is a few awards I got from my school (graduating senior of the year etc) and a couple internships with the red cross and the international refugee committee.

1) How much would applying earlier with a more complete and refined application really impact my chances?
2) Will Columbia hate me for cancelling the deferment and reapplying (will they not want to even look at my application anymore)?

Out of curiosity, what type of URM are you?
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:54 am

Something here does not add up. Are you sure you are a URM? Do you have any major red flags in your C&F portion of the app? A 170/3.86 should have you in at HS with a great shot at Y and then a TON of money In the rest of the T14.

Your cycle looked exactly like what a non-URM cycle would look like.

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:05 am

Last edited by HYPSM on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rav17

New

Post by rav17 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:46 am

HYPSM wrote:"OP here. I'm Chinese."

Hehe.
That explains it. URM's with your grades and lsat are usually able to get into at least one of HYS. While you may be racial minority, you're not considered to be an under represented minority insofar as law school admissions is concerned, so it follows that you wouldn't get the URM bump.

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:10 pm

And to be frank, being of East-Asian descent might actually hurt your chances at T14, as Asians are probably over-represented in T14 when compared to the general population.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:03 pm

Nachoo2019 wrote:

Something here does not add up. Are you sure you are a URM? Do you have any major red flags in your C&F portion of the app? A 170/3.86 should have you in at HS with a great shot at Y and then a TON of money In the rest of the T14.

I had the same reaction Nacho. I was like "I am an URM with a similar GPA and even if I get a 170 I still won't get into H!??" Fuckkkkkk.

If you want H, just sit out and retake the LSAT and reapply next cycle. If it is your dream, what is another year? Like I always say, Barack Obama applied 2 cycles and finally got H. He also didn't finish law school until he was 30!
Last edited by Barack O'Drama on Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barack Obama 2.0

New

Post by Barack Obama 2.0 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:18 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:

I had the same reaction Nacho. I was like "I am an URM with a similar GPA and even if I get a 170 I still won't get into H!??" Fuckkkkkk.

If you want H, just sit out and retake the LSAT and reapply next cycle. If it is your dream, what is another year? Like I always say, Barack Obama applied 2 cycles and finally got H. He also didn't finish law school until he was 30!
He did? Where did you learn that?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:22 pm

Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:

Well him not finishing law school until he was 30 is out there. I think I found that out from his book "Dreams From My Father"

Idk where I read he applied 2 cycles. I might be mistaken about that actually or heard it from a non-credible source. But he was definitely 27 when he started law school.

Barack Obama 2.0

New

Post by Barack Obama 2.0 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:27 pm

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:

Well him not finishing law school until he was 30 is out there. I think I found that out from his book "Dreams From My Father"

Idk where I read he applied 2 cycles. I might be mistaken about that actually or heard it from a non-credible source. But he was definitely 27 when he started law school.
Haha, I asked because I was curious, not because I didn't believe you. I know that he definitely started law school when he was 27. Who knows, he may have applied 2 cycles, I know that Michelle was first waitlisted at Harvard and then one of her prof's at Princeton wrote another letter to the admissions committee and she was eventually admitted off of the waitlist.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post by Barack O'Drama » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:30 pm

Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
Barack O'Drama wrote:
Nachoo2019 wrote:

Haha, I asked because I was curious, not because I didn't believe you. I know that he definitely started law school when he was 27. Who knows, he may have applied 2 cycles, I know that Michelle was first waitlisted at Harvard and then one of her prof's at Princeton wrote another letter to the admissions committee and she was eventually admitted off of the waitlist.
Yeah, I heard that about Michelle! She is great....Princeton to Harvard.... Good stuff :)

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:23 pm

Would Ted Cruz be considered a URM? Lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Barack Obama 2.0

New

Post by Barack Obama 2.0 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:24 pm

PrezRand wrote:Would Ted Cruz be considered a URM? Lol
He's Cuban, so I don't think so.

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:28 pm

That offer from Columbia is IMO justifiable if you are OK working in NY. The wrinkle that puts this beyond the scope where I can help is the deferral dynamic. Might want to pose that issue to spivey

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:29 pm

Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
Are people from Central America not considered URMs?

Barack Obama 2.0

New

Post by Barack Obama 2.0 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:31 pm

PrezRand wrote:
Barack Obama 2.0 wrote:
Are people from Central America not considered URMs?
To my knowledge no. If you are hispanic, I believe you must be Mexican-American to be considered a URM.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

oalkhawaja

New

Post by oalkhawaja » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:58 pm

Hehe.
haha ok so I just looked it up a little bit and I am not sure if I qualify as URM, so I was born in Saudi Arabia and I am first generation immigrant of Palestinian decent. I checked Asian on the demographics questions. I hope that clears things up.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:15 pm

what do you have against Columbia, vis a vis the other schools listed?

oalkhawaja

New

Post by oalkhawaja » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:08 pm

jbagelboy wrote:what do you have against Columbia, vis a vis the other schools listed?
I have something against NYC to be honest, I don't want to live/work there.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:41 pm

oalkhawaja wrote:

Hehe.
haha ok so I just looked it up a little bit and I am not sure if I qualify as URM, so I was born in Saudi Arabia and I am first generation immigrant of Palestinian decent. I checked Asian on the demographics questions. I hope that clears things up.
You're not a URM, unfortunately.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HYPSM

Bronze

Post by HYPSM » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:57 pm

oalkhawaja wrote:

Hehe.
Um, no offense, but what on Earth made you think you were URM then? You literally said you checked "Asian."

Barack Obama 2.0

New

Post by Barack Obama 2.0 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:00 pm

HYPSM wrote:
oalkhawaja wrote:

Hehe.
Um, no offense, but what on Earth made you think you were URM then? You literally said you checked "Asian."
He probably thought that since he was a racial minority that he was an under represented minority. However, not all racial minorities are under represented in law school. In fact asians are over represented.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:28 pm

Yea honestly $50k from CLS is a good outcome with your numbers. A lot of people are waitlisted with 170. You aren't getting a solid chance at HLS without a 3 pt improvement on your LSAT. You're also below both medians at S.

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Yea honestly $50k from CLS is a good outcome with your numbers. A lot of people are waitlisted with 170. You aren't getting a solid chance at HLS without a 3 pt improvement on your LSAT. You're also below both medians at S.
I'm just going to come back in here and say that if taking your medicine @ 170 w/ 50k from Columbia is a pretty damn good result. Remember that it might be more competitive next year, and it also seems you're chasing prestige (which you won't get more of w/o a 172) when you already have it?

Again, if willing to work in NY (and maybe even if not) you should just take this

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”