Harvard ($$) vs Chicago ($$$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
R2D7point5

New

Harvard ($$) vs Chicago ($$$$)

Post by R2D7point5 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:12 am

It's hard for me to determine what I'll receive for all 3 years at Harvard, but my family situation will most likely not change, so I'm expecting about 70K compared to full tuition at Chicago, meaning ~$100K difference. I went to ASW at Harvard and loved it. Was unable to attend UofC's ASW, and did not consider it much of an option until the full ride offer. Gut still says Harvard. Overall, I am unsure of exactly what type of law I'd like to do after law school, but I'm leaning towards clerkship, followed by private law or possibly a federal government position, and I do have hopes of running for office in the future. Any thoughts?

JD116

New

Re: Harvard ($$) vs Chicago ($$$$)

Post by JD116 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:18 am

R2D7point5 wrote:It's hard for me to determine what I'll receive for all 3 years at Harvard, but my family situation will most likely not change, so I'm expecting about 70K compared to full tuition at Chicago, meaning ~$100K difference. I went to ASW at Harvard and loved it. Was unable to attend UofC's ASW, and did not consider it much of an option until the full ride offer. Gut still says Harvard. Overall, I am unsure of exactly what type of law I'd like to do after law school, but I'm leaning towards clerkship, followed by private law or possibly a federal government position, and I do have hopes of running for office in the future. Any thoughts?
H. No question.

RZ5646

Gold

Post by RZ5646 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:34 am

You need to decide whether you want to work in government / politics or biglaw. H is the obvious choice for the former, while Chicago for free is the obvious choice for the latter.

R2D7point5

New

Post by R2D7point5 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:52 am

RZ5646 wrote:You need to decide whether you want to work in government / politics or biglaw. H is the obvious choice for the former, while Chicago for free is the obvious choice for the latter.
I probably won't be able to make that decision by Friday, which is part of why I'm leaning towards Harvard for the flexibility to do either. I'm definitely interested in politics in the future though, even if I'd be doing it coming from biglaw. My biglaw interests are primarily with NYC V10 and a select few other NYC V25 firms. An additional consideration for me is that my long-term girlfriend will be attending school in eastern PA for the next year, so Boston is closer. She's also stated that she would prefer moving somewhere in the northeast than the Midwest (i.e. Chicago), but she will follow me wherever if she can get a job.

drillteam

New

Post by drillteam » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:01 pm

All factors except money point to Harvard and even then, the debt load at Harvard would be sustainable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EnderWiggin

Silver

Post by EnderWiggin » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:15 pm

R2D7point5 wrote:It's hard for me to determine what I'll receive for all 3 years at Harvard, but my family situation will most likely not change, so I'm expecting about 70K
I'm sure you know this but for others who may be following along, keep in mind that if you do a 2L SA, your grant for 3L year at H will likely change significantly.

R2D7point5

New

Post by R2D7point5 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:29 pm

EnderWiggin wrote:
R2D7point5 wrote:It's hard for me to determine what I'll receive for all 3 years at Harvard, but my family situation will most likely not change, so I'm expecting about 70K
I'm sure you know this but for others who may be following along, keep in mind that if you do a 2L SA, your grant for 3L year at H will likely change significantly.
Yeah, I was figuring that would happen, but they only factor in 1/4 of student assets I believe and I'll be 26 that year, so they'll reduce my parent's assets by 25%, so I think that will about even out but I'm not sure.

theconsigliere

Bronze

Post by theconsigliere » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:34 pm

if you dont know what you want to do then go to Chicago because then in 5 (10? 15?) years if you decide "wow law sucks i want to get out" you will be able to do so and not have any debt hanging over your head. in my opinion.

R2D7point5

New

Post by R2D7point5 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:46 pm

theconsigliere wrote:if you dont know what you want to do then go to Chicago because then in 5 (10? 15?) years if you decide "wow law sucks i want to get out" you will be able to do so and not have any debt hanging over your head. in my opinion.
I'm still going to have loans for my living expenses, unfortunately. Not sure if Ruby comes with a stipend for that, but mine is just full-tuition. I also know I want law, I'm just still figuring out exactly what in law I would like to do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Danny Mothers

Bronze

Post by Danny Mothers » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:51 pm

R2D7point5 wrote: I also know I want law, I'm just still figuring out exactly what in law I would like to do.
That's what they all say. Nothing's better than 3 years of law school to change your mind about wanting law.

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:02 pm

Edit: Never mind, it seems like OP's full ride isn't the Ruby, so I made a bad assumption.

R2D7point5

New

Post by R2D7point5 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:51 pm

WinterComing wrote:Edit: Never mind, it seems like OP's full ride isn't the Ruby, so I made a bad assumption.
It's cool, I'm flattered by the implication anyways

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:30 pm

R2D7point5 wrote:My biglaw interests are primarily with NYC V10 and a select few other NYC V25 firms.
What interests?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:51 pm

Its very easy for Chicago grads to get NY V10 positions, and roughly equally challenging for them to attain clerkships as for HLS grads (although the fanciness of the clerkships might vary).

That being said, it seems like you're comfortable with debt and taking a long game position on this choice with your government goals. I think both choices are justifiable and if your heart is with HLS, you aren't wrong to take it. Both great options, congratulations.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:15 pm

R2D7point5 wrote:It's hard for me to determine what I'll receive for all 3 years at Harvard, but my family situation will most likely not change, so I'm expecting about 70K compared to full tuition at Chicago, meaning ~$100K difference. I went to ASW at Harvard and loved it. Was unable to attend UofC's ASW, and did not consider it much of an option until the full ride offer. Gut still says Harvard. Overall, I am unsure of exactly what type of law I'd like to do after law school, but I'm leaning towards clerkship, followed by private law or possibly a federal government position, and I do have hopes of running for office in the future. Any thoughts?
I'm surprised by the responses in this thread, but then again, if you are really set on running for office, Harvard has a real advantage. Otherwise, I think $100K is far too much of a premium to pay for Harvard. Your outcomes (sans being a Senator) are very, very similar coming out of both schools.

R2D7point5

New

Post by R2D7point5 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:08 pm

Well guys, my anxiety decided for me. I was on the plane to go up to Chicago and had a panic attack before we were even ready to take off so I didn't go. Seems like the school I can drive/take a train to is the obvious choice at this point.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”