Reapplying vs USC/UCLA/Texas/Vandy Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gobeers

New

Reapplying vs USC/UCLA/Texas/Vandy

Post by gobeers » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:32 pm

~3.6, 165. took LSAT twice, not really open to doing it again. graduating undergrad next month.

My options right now are USC, waitlists at UCLA/Texas/Vandy, or reapplying. i applied november/december this cycle.

I am hoping to take a year off before beginning law school (was offered an opportunity to teach English/work abroad and with my desire to work in either international law/with spanish speaking clients, it directly supplements my career goals).

My concern is if I reapply at the beginning of next cycle, I will only have been abroad for about 2 months and there won't be much different about my application. That is leading me to either ask for a deferral from USC, or explain the situation to one of the waitlists and hope/pray that if they accept me, they'll give me the year off.

Will reapplying really increase my chances anywhere (with my numbers)? I kind of feel that I'm not getting much better than my current options... Also think I want to be in LA (family ties) but not set on it/open to moving to LA later.

Appreciate any insight!!

OtterLaw

Silver

Re: Reapplying vs USC/UCLA/Texas/Vandy

Post by OtterLaw » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:36 pm

gobeers wrote:~3.6, 165. took LSAT twice, not really open to doing it again. graduating undergrad next month.

My options right now are USC, waitlists at UCLA/Texas/Vandy, or reapplying. i applied november/december this cycle.

I am hoping to take a year off before beginning law school (was offered an opportunity to teach English/work abroad and with my desire to work in either international law/with spanish speaking clients, it directly supplements my career goals).

My concern is if I reapply at the beginning of next cycle, I will only have been abroad for about 2 months and there won't be much different about my application. That is leading me to either ask for a deferral from USC, or explain the situation to one of the waitlists and hope/pray that if they accept me, they'll give me the year off.

Will reapplying really increase my chances anywhere (with my numbers)? I kind of feel that I'm not getting much better than my current options... Also think I want to be in LA (family ties) but not set on it/open to moving to LA later.

Appreciate any insight!!
It's my understanding that most schools won't let you defer if they accept you from the waitlist. I know UT won't, but I suppose you could check with the other schools. I guess my point is that I wouldn't count on that as a good option.

Brace yourself for the "retake" posts coming. If you're going to take a year off anyway, I would advise you to give the test one more shot. It won't hurt you and could open up some better doors for you.

gobeers

New

Post by gobeers » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:49 pm

OtterLaw wrote:
gobeers wrote:~3.6, 165. took LSAT twice, not really open to doing it again. graduating undergrad next month.

Appreciate any insight!!
It's my understanding that most schools won't let you defer if they accept you from the waitlist. I know UT won't, but I suppose you could check with the other schools. I guess my point is that I wouldn't count on that as a good option.

Brace yourself for the "retake" posts coming. If you're going to take a year off anyway, I would advise you to give the test one more shot. It won't hurt you and could open up some better doors for you.
I know. I just don't see it being likely (with insufficient time to study for June with finals/graduation coming up) and unlikely to study for September (moving to another country/starting a new job) and if I dont apply early in the cycle, I feel like I'll have similar results.

Lets say a retake wasn't an option (though I will keep considering), any other thoughts on reapplying for better options vs deferring?

mornincounselor

Silver

Post by mornincounselor » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:51 am

You can always apply early and still retake. Just let the schools know if you score higher. I wouldn't consider November/December to be that late. Mid-november is fairly early still. Late december is a different story, though.

You don't mention if you were offered any money. I do not think sticker at USC (or nearly anywhere for nearly everyone) is worth it.

gobeers

New

Post by gobeers » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:07 pm

Was offered 27k a year at SC. Again, I don't plan on retaking.

I guess the real question is do you think that reapplying Sept 1 will increase my chances anywhere (one of the waitlists if not a t14)? (I applied late Nov- mid Dec).

gobeers wrote:
OtterLaw wrote:

Appreciate any insight!!

I know. I just don't see it being likely (with insufficient time to study for June with finals/graduation coming up) and unlikely to study for September (moving to another country/starting a new job) and if I dont apply early in the cycle, I feel like I'll have similar results.

Lets say a retake wasn't an option (though I will keep considering), any other thoughts on reapplying for better options vs deferring?

johnjay

New

Post by johnjay » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:36 pm

If you are deferring a year anyways there is no reason not to retake. Just a 2 point bump could either get you into a t14 (Which makes a significant difference for biglaw prospects) or would get you more money at one of these 4 schools.

If you have fully made up your mind on not retaking, then there is no reason to reapply in the fall. Good luck at whichever school you choose though, all 4 are great schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”