Practicing Attorneys only: Disability Law at non T14 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bmathers

Silver

Practicing Attorneys only: Disability Law at non T14

Post by bmathers » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:42 pm

I have overcome an acquired disability and my top choice of law to focus in is disability law (ADA stuff). I know this is a niche and limited focus, but I tend to believe that it is up and coming with the increasing awareness there is of different disabilities.

For those practicing and in the know, what are the job prospects like in this field? Thanks

timbs4339

Gold

Re: Practicing Attorneys only: Disability Law at non T14

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:32 pm

Practicing lawyer here - I know a bit about this stuff.

There are a very small number of nonprofit organizations that do the public interest work, like Advocates for Children in NYC. This is about a do-goodery as you can get - litigating against the DOE to get special education students the benefits they are entitled to under the ADA. With enough WE and decent grades from a decent school you might have a shot at one of these jobs. I would do more research into which organizations exist in your preferred market.

By far the bigger area of litigation is employment discrimination law especially in a state with laws that are broader than the ADA. There are thousands, tens of thousands, of these cases filed each year. They are very much like personal injury with an emphasis on volume, efficiency, being able to sign up clients, and negotiating with insurance companies. You may be able to get on with a small or midsized firm that specializes in plaintiffs-side work although you will be doing other areas of the ADA as well.

For experienced lawyers you can often find work in the government - most states have their own EEOC type organization - but this isnt something I'd expect to do out of law school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”