NYU v Harvard for Intl Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NABruno

New

NYU v Harvard for Intl Law

Post by NABruno » Fri May 08, 2015 12:42 pm

I have accepted at NYU but am waitlisted at Harvard and have an interview coming up. Both schools haven't offered me any money and I am going to be financing with loans.

I am interested in studying international environmental law, and would love to work for an IGO/NGO doing work in this field after graduation (I would love to work for the UN). In the long run, I am very interested in going into academia.

I accepted NYU's offer because of the reputation of the school's international law program and focus on public interest law. Richard Stewart, Jose Alvarez, Ricky Revesz and Benedict Kingsbury are some of the faculty that I'd be thrilled to learn from. Additionally, NYU has an international environmental law clinic, which seems like a great opportunity for me to build experience and gain more intimate knowledge of the field.

If I wind up getting into Harvard, I know the name would open so many doors and would be more respected outside of the intl law world. Advice is very appreciated!

AwesomeLawyer

New

Re: NYU v Harvard for Intl Law

Post by AwesomeLawyer » Fri May 08, 2015 1:43 pm

Brace yourself for the negativity that is coming your way regarding unrealistic/unicorn career goals, being stupid for paying sticker + hundreds of "retake" and "don't go to law school." Also might get a lot of Harvard haters and some "go to Cornell with $$$." :) Usually not so unreasonable, but very often unreasonably mean.

I would recommend looking at lower ranked T14 schools if they are offering you any money, but I think, regardless, you will go to law school, most likely to NYU or HLS, no matter what anyone here says, and it may or may not be a bad thing. So, in your situation, at least be prepared, that it is highly likely you will not be able to practice the type of law you are talking about in your post (at least most of your time). More likely, you will end up doing biglaw (pays well, but you have to at least tolerate that type of work, if not like it) or domestic public interest (pays peanuts, so, if you are going at sticker, you'll have to rely 100% on LRAPs. Both Harvard and NYU have excellent ones). If you do end up doing international environmental law (especially the kind that allows you to repay your loans), that's great, if not, at least you will be prepared.

Given those options, if you are prepared to pay sticker, Harvard is probably better than NYU, and I have a feeling you will go there anyway if accepted.

Good luck!

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Fri May 08, 2015 2:17 pm

If I was going to pay sticker (which I wouldn't) I would take Harvard over NYU.

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Fri May 08, 2015 2:19 pm

In order to receive the best feedback in this forum, please provide as much of the following information in your original post as possible:

-The schools you are considering
-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships. Here is a helpful calculator.
-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
-Your general career goals
-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
-How many times you have taken the LSAT

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri May 08, 2015 2:38 pm

NYU simply because you haven't been offered admission to Harvard. If admitted, then Harvard especially so if you qualify for financial aid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri May 08, 2015 3:47 pm

Will you get need aid? If not then neither

Bird Lawyer

New

Post by Bird Lawyer » Fri May 08, 2015 4:06 pm

Ask NYU if they'd reconsider your award if you get off the waitlist from Harvard--maybe they'll offer you some money. What are your stats?

NABruno

New

Post by NABruno » Fri May 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Bird Lawyer wrote:Ask NYU if they'd reconsider your award if you get off the waitlist from Harvard--maybe they'll offer you some money. What are your stats?

170, 3.8 GPA from Brown. Bird Lawyer how would I go about that? Wait to see if I get in at Harvard and then try to get money from NYU or tell them I am waitlisted and ask if they can sweeten the deal? Also NYU has a scholarship opportunity (ILJP Scholar) that you can apply for while in school. The program sounds perfect and I would work my ass off to get in but obviously it isn't something I can depend on.

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Fri May 08, 2015 5:16 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed May 27, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Fri May 08, 2015 5:26 pm

AwesomeLawyer wrote:Brace yourself for the negativity that is coming your way regarding unrealistic/unicorn career goals, being stupid for paying sticker + hundreds of "retake" and "don't go to law school." Also might get a lot of Harvard haters and some "go to Cornell with $$$." :) Usually not so unreasonable, but very often unreasonably mean.

I would recommend looking at lower ranked T14 schools if they are offering you any money, but I think, regardless, you will go to law school, most likely to NYU or HLS, no matter what anyone here says, and it may or may not be a bad thing. So, in your situation, at least be prepared, that it is highly likely you will not be able to practice the type of law you are talking about in your post (at least most of your time). More likely, you will end up doing biglaw (pays well, but you have to at least tolerate that type of work, if not like it) or domestic public interest (pays peanuts, so, if you are going at sticker, you'll have to rely 100% on LRAPs. Both Harvard and NYU have excellent ones). If you do end up doing international environmental law (especially the kind that allows you to repay your loans), that's great, if not, at least you will be prepared.

Given those options, if you are prepared to pay sticker, Harvard is probably better than NYU, and I have a feeling you will go there anyway if accepted.

Good luck!
Haha this post is the truf and spot on. Ran through everything in my head I wanted to type AND called it like it would come out.

But to OP, no really, you probably won't do international environmental law, if that's even really a thing :P I'm just teasing (on whether it is a thing or not, not on whether you'd do it). There's a chance, but it is low. I wouldn't make your law school choice based on that. Instead, base it on finances, locations, relationships, how much you seem to like the campus and school, general employment opportunities.

Bird Lawyer

New

Post by Bird Lawyer » Fri May 08, 2015 5:34 pm

NABruno wrote:
Bird Lawyer wrote:Ask NYU if they'd reconsider your award if you get off the waitlist from Harvard--maybe they'll offer you some money. What are your stats?

170, 3.8 GPA from Brown. Bird Lawyer how would I go about that? Wait to see if I get in at Harvard and then try to get money from NYU or tell them I am waitlisted and ask if they can sweeten the deal? Also NYU has a scholarship opportunity (ILJP Scholar) that you can apply for while in school. The program sounds perfect and I would work my ass off to get in but obviously it isn't something I can depend on.
Wait until you get off the waitlist. You should be able to get some money out of them though with those stats I think. Be nice but push them.
And I don't think you can apply for the ILJP Scholarship program while you're a student. I think it's something you apply for with your original law school app (but someone correct me if I'm wrong).

docdoc

New

Post by docdoc » Fri May 08, 2015 5:40 pm

NABruno wrote:

170, 3.8 GPA from Brown.

You should be getting money with those stats. I have worse stats (think way worse GPA) and got money off the NYU WL. PM me if you want more info.

michlaw

Bronze

Post by michlaw » Fri May 08, 2015 8:23 pm

If you have to ask then NYU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”