Georgia Schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SimbaJayward

New

Georgia Schools

Post by SimbaJayward » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:41 am

Last edited by SimbaJayward on Tue May 31, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadpanic

Silver

Re: Georgia Schools

Post by deadpanic » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:47 am

What are your numbers?

Where do you want to work and want type of work?

What are the stipulations (if any) to the Mercer scholarship?

What is the total cost of attendance of each?

UGA is a better bet, but it is not worth 60k+, which is the bare minimum it would cost you, if not close to 100k.

(Also, FYI, Macon is not particularly a great town)

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:56 am

For someone who wants to practice in small town Georgia for the next 40 years, my gut tells me that UGA is probably worth a bit of money over Mercer. However, on the front end, that's a lot of debt for your job prospects, especially if you're going to self select out of the jobs that pay a lot of money.

So I would think retaking for a better scholarship at UGA would be advantageous. You could also use this year in-between to save up some money to avoid more cost of living loans. Otherwise Mercer on a fully is probably OK for someone in your position.

SimbaJayward

New

Post by SimbaJayward » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:58 am

deadpanic wrote:What are your numbers?

Where do you want to work and want type of work?

What are the stipulations (if any) to the Mercer scholarship?

What is the total cost of attendance of each?

UGA is a better bet, but it is not worth 60k+, which is the bare minimum it would cost you, if not close to 100k.

(Also, FYI, Macon is not particularly a great town)
Last edited by SimbaJayward on Tue May 31, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:00 am

If you're fine staying in GA and want to do small-firm work, then Mercer makes a bunch of sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Saddle Up

Bronze

Post by Saddle Up » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:00 am

I recently saw the 2014 employment statistics and UG was pretty good. Mercer was anything but good. You should check before deciding.

SimbaJayward

New

Post by SimbaJayward » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:02 am

zombie mcavoy wrote: So I would think retaking for a better scholarship at UGA would be advantageous. You could also use this year in-between to save up some money to avoid more cost of living loans. Otherwise Mercer on a fully is probably OK for someone in your position.

futago

Bronze

Post by futago » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:05 am

Very tough choice. I think a full ride at Mercer with the stipend is a good option if you are ok with working in a small-town in Georgia (assuming by North Georgia you mean other than Atlanta), but as you probably know UGA is king of Georgia by a large degree and everyone I know who went to Mercer did so because they couldn't get into UGA. The UGA grads I know always stress how much being a UGA grad helps in Georgia. That being said, sticker at UGA, while reasonable compared to many law schools, is still a large sum of money. I think it just depends on your goals.

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:06 am

SimbaJayward wrote:I've lived in Ga my whole life, and . . . I freaking hate ATL and am not looking at getting stabbed.
You're not going to get stabbed, but whatever.

Not wanting to live or practice in Atlanta makes either school feasible. UGA at sticker isn't obscene. Mercer with your scholarship isn't obscene. If you didn't go to undergrad in either city, consider spending two days in a row in either Athens or Macon to see if you could live there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Winston1984

Gold

Post by Winston1984 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:12 am

Saddle Up wrote:I recently saw the 2014 employment statistics and UG was pretty good. Mercer was anything but good. You should check before deciding.
http://www.lstscorereports.com/compare/georgia/mercer/
Look fine to me.

zombie mcavoy

Bronze

Post by zombie mcavoy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:16 am

SimbaJayward wrote:
zombie mcavoy wrote: So I would think retaking for a better scholarship at UGA would be advantageous. You could also use this year in-between to save up some money to avoid more cost of living loans. Otherwise Mercer on a fully is probably OK for someone in your position.
Hey man, I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately, I cant really take another year off. I've already been out of undergrad for a year working and have saved up a good bit of money. That being said, this job isn't really where I want to be. Ha I need to start law school in the fall
Yeah, I get it. It's really how much you want to pay to have the state flagship school on your resume/be in that network for the rest of your career. It's probably an important boost for someone in your position, but is it worth 80K?

If you suck it up for a year, that price tag is a lot lower, but it's your call. You'll be fine either way; good luck.

Also you're not going to get stabbed in atlanta :lol:

Saddle Up

Bronze

Post by Saddle Up » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:22 am

Winston1984 wrote:
Saddle Up wrote:I recently saw the 2014 employment statistics and UG was pretty good. Mercer was anything but good. You should check before deciding.
http://www.lstscorereports.com/compare/georgia/mercer/
Look fine to me.
They do. I was talking about the 2014 stats. They're out but not yet posted on LST.

SimbaJayward

New

Post by SimbaJayward » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:37 am

futago wrote:Very tough choice. I think a full ride at Mercer with the stipend is a good option if you are ok with working in a small-town in Georgia
Last edited by SimbaJayward on Tue May 31, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:44 am

SimbaJayward wrote:
futago wrote:Very tough choice. I think a full ride at Mercer with the stipend is a good option if you are ok with working in a small-town in Georgia
Honestly, doing biglaw has never interested me. My hometown and areas surrounding it has some good opportunities, and the benefits of working reasonable hours and having a 10 min commute to work are definite positives for me. I want to put my JD to work and make a respectable living, but becoming crazy rich has never been one of my life aspirations.
You are likely not going to get rich at all being a lawyer, and definitely not "crazy rich." If you are fine going back to the hometown and doing divorces, petty theft cases, etc. and making low 40s, especially with only minimal debt, I would say Mercer is a decent option here. I don't think UGA would give you a huge leg up over Mercer if you are simply going back to your hometown to practice small town law. You are probably going to get those jobs from connections anyways. Good luck.

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:23 pm

zombie mcavoy wrote:
SimbaJayward wrote:
Hey man, I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately, I cant really take another year off. I've already been out of undergrad for a year working and have saved up a good bit of money. That being said, this job isn't really where I want to be. Ha I need to start law school in the fall
Yeah, I get it. It's really how much you want to pay to have the state flagship school on your resume/be in that network for the rest of your career. It's probably an important boost for someone in your position, but is it worth 80K?

If you suck it up for a year, that price tag is a lot lower, but it's your call. You'll be fine either way; good luck.

He's not gonna get that much of a discount at UGA even if he increases his score by 5 points. I'm actually quite surprised that somebody with his stats was able to get into UGA. UGA at instate sticker is not that bad IMO. COL in Athens is dirt cheap and instate tuition is basically a 30,000/year scholarship at similarly ranked private schools.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:40 pm

adil91 wrote:
zombie mcavoy wrote:
SimbaJayward wrote:

He's not gonna get that much of a discount at UGA even if he increases his score by 5 points. I'm actually quite surprised that somebody with his stats was able to get into UGA. UGA at instate sticker is not that bad IMO. COL in Athens is dirt cheap and instate tuition is basically a 30,000/year scholarship at similarly ranked private schools.
Instate tuition is still 20k/year alone. It is not outrageous, but it is too much. That is at least going to be 80k+ in debt (OP said it would be 90k). There is no way I would take our nearly six figures in debt for a state flagship. OP is going to be practicing small town law making 40ishk/year, good luck paying it back on that kind of salary. OP would be better off at Mercer only taking out 5ishk in debt.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:48 pm

Honestly this is pretty easy. Mercer is the type of school that's regularly bashed on here but you have to understand that for someone looking to do what the OP is (which is hard to relate to for most TLS posters) Mercer for free is ideal. He wants to work somewhere like Rome, Roswell, John's Creek etc. doing family/small claims/local real estate/insurance work etc. All people will care about for that type of thing is that you went to a non John Marshall GA law school in terms of objective qualifications. Beyond that it's totally about things like who he knows. Yeah even to those people UGA is better, but they won't really care. Certainly not enough to go into debt. Go to Mercer. Also having no student loan debt at all will allow him to get his life going with far less stress (i.e. buying a house, a car, getting married etc.). This is a no brainer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Saddle Up

Bronze

Post by Saddle Up » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:53 pm

Earlier I may have overstated the ’14 UG employment advantage over Mercer.

Mercer: 69.2% fulltime employment (no SFJ). 4.2% (5 grads) hired by firms with over
100 attorneys.

UG: 70.6% fulltime employment (no SFJ). 17% (34 grads) hired by firms with over 100 attorneys

SimbaJayward

New

Post by SimbaJayward » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:59 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Honestly this is pretty easy. Mercer is the type of school that's regularly bashed on here but you have to understand that for someone looking to do what the OP is (which is hard to relate to for most TLS posters) Mercer for free is ideal.
Last edited by SimbaJayward on Tue May 31, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SimbaJayward

New

Post by SimbaJayward » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:03 pm

Saddle Up wrote:Earlier I may have overstated the ’14 UG employment advantage over Mercer.

Mercer: 69.2% fulltime employment (no SFJ). 4.2% (5 grads) hired by firms with over
100 attorneys.

UG: 70.6% fulltime employment (no SFJ). 17% (34 grads) hired by firms with over 100 attorneys

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:06 pm

SimbaJayward wrote:
Honestly, doing biglaw has never interested me. My hometown and areas surrounding it has some good opportunities, and the benefits of working reasonable hours and having a 10 min commute to work are definite positives for me. I want to put my JD to work and make a respectable living, but becoming crazy rich has never been one of my life aspirations.
My concern is this. If your aspirations change even a little, going to Mercer over UGA makes everything harder. Many people go to law school for one year and realize that they'd rather do other things than smallaw.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:15 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:
SimbaJayward wrote:
My concern is this. If your aspirations change even a little, going to Mercer over UGA makes everything harder. Many people go to law school for one year and realize that they'd rather do other things than smallaw.
To be fair, I don't think many 1Ls (well basically all law students) even know what practicing law is like at all, big or small law.

He is unlikely to get big law out of UGA as well, and you can't really justify UGA at 90k debt can you?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:16 pm

Mercer. Full scholarship, living stipend & a couple hours closer to the Florida beaches.

RareExports

Silver

Post by RareExports » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:40 am

You won't live in Atlanta because you view it as unsafe, but you're willing to live in Macon?

I mean, I think Mercer is the best option for the average person in your situation, but if you're that crime-averse, maybe UGA would be your best bet.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:48 am

I think you should go to GA State. If you're worried about crime, get a GA Weapon's Carry License.

If you're dead set against that however, how big of a town are you looking to work in? A good chunk of legal and political types in my area are Mercer grads. You said full tuition and living stipend, not sure how UGA could beat that if you're staying in state. That is unless you have the background (familial ties) that UGA could help you with. However, unless you do you won't get as much help from being a UGA Alumni as someone who had contacts.
Last edited by RCSOB657 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”