Emory v University of Florida Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Emory v UF Law

Emory Law
43%
UF Law
57%

Total votes: 7

UFlaw99

New

Emory v University of Florida

Post by UFlaw99 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:12 pm

Hi just need advice... Should I goto Emory costing $100k for tuition or University of Florida costing sticker at $44k. I was rejected by UGA.

I have always lived in Atlanta and have all my connections here but is the extra $56k worth it. The cost of living for both UF and Emory would be the same $1200/mo.

What do you advise and I have to make a choice because I am a 2L transfer student from a TTTT in Atlanta.

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Re: Emory v University of Florida

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:29 pm

Why is your user name UFlaw99?

Emory on the whole has more favorable employment outcomes, statistically. If you are set on FL anyhow I really don't think Emory will get you any further. There might be some firms in FL that would like the supposed "glimmer" of the Emory degree. But UF has a TREMENDOUS following throughout the state; I imagine that factor compensates or surpasses any advantage of Emory.

If you want to work Ga or elsewhere in the South Emory might be better.

Basically, Emory will do you better if gunning big law, as they are likely to get more firms at OCI that draw deeper into the class. Aside from that, go in the state you want to practice. The COA difference is significant, but not the end of the world. Higher statistical earnings the Emory degree might get you offset the cost; lower earnings in FL offset the savings. A few years out the difference will really not matter.

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:32 pm

Also, the above mention of UF's following should not be read to mean that UF grads do awesome job wise. FL is a tough nut, but the alumni network is loyal and I imagine there are more UF grads than Emory grads to want to hire you over the fact that you can celebrate football wins together.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:34 pm

ReasonableNprudent

Bronze

Post by ReasonableNprudent » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:50 pm

UF's employment score is not really a result of a bullshit alumni network. There still needs to be a job in order to get one. There are few jobs in FL, hence the employment score. My point is that an Emory degree will probably not get you any further than a UF degree for most of those jobs, and maybe not even as far on the whole in FL.

seizmaar

Silver

Post by seizmaar » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:23 am

if you go to UF and want to end up in Atlanta you need to be top 5%. can you be sure you'll be top 5%? doubt it. so in that sense Emory is better but both of these choices are meh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”