UT vs. Harvard - Intl. Oil & Gas Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BVest

Platinum

Re: UT vs. Harvard - Intl. Oil & Gas

Post by BVest » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:06 am

In response to the followup, in determining whether or not to ask your parents to pay the diff between H and UT, that's not something anyone here can help you with that much. That's a decision that's a closer call and really comes down to how you and your parents feel about it.

That said, there's been good guidance ITT as to what it will take from UT to attain your post-grad goals. I think the "not being bottom 1%" for H is a bit of hyperbole, but you probably figured that out.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ongtexas

New

Post by ongtexas » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:12 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:
ongtexas wrote:Those were back of the envelope calculations, here's the real numbers AFAIK:

UT Law COA = 53k/yr = ~160k/3 yr - 100k $$$ = 60k total principal.

vs.

Harvard COA = 82k/yr = 246k/3yr = 246k total principal.

My parents are retired, net worth ~ 5m. 250k isn't nothing, even w/ 5m. They're just really generous.

I know it's not reasonable to expect top 10%, but w/ a 177, is it really not reasonable to expect above median? Not being sarcastic here, I'm genuinely curious.

Thanks y'all.
Ah my bad I figured you were counting in-state discount into the scholarship for some reason.

Their money would probably be well spent on Harvard, and they seem to agree. I would also have a very hard time doing this, though (granted my parents net worth is lower by ~4.9m); why don't you ask them to give you like an interest free loan or something, instead? Also, why isn't like UVa for free listed as an option?

No, your LSAT score is not going to be a fantastic indicator. In the interest of not derailing your thread, read this: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 4&t=243103.
Great points everybody. I really appreciate the advice.

I have other good T14 options, but the utility of being close to ailing TX family while in school is (possibly) exceeded only by the utility of going to H, IMHO.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:13 am

Ron Don Volante wrote:I go to UT and:
Winston1984 wrote:
eriedoctrine wrote:Harvard. Not even a question if both are debt free.
And I don't think really any of my classmates would tell you differently.
+1

OP: UT Law alum here. I loved it. Go to Harvard.

dkb17xzx

Bronze

Post by dkb17xzx » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:23 am

JazzOne wrote:
Ron Don Volante wrote:I go to UT and:
Winston1984 wrote:
eriedoctrine wrote:Harvard. Not even a question if both are debt free.
And I don't think really any of my classmates would tell you differently.
+1

OP: UT Law alum here. I loved it. Go to Harvard.
+1
current UT student here. go to Harvard

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:26 am

ongtexas wrote:Great points everybody. I really appreciate the advice.

I have other good T14 options, but the utility of being close to ailing TX family while in school is (possibly) exceeded only by the utility of going to H, IMHO.
Of course, we are here to help.

Sorry to hear about the health problems. But again, you're going to have to live with this choice the next 45 years. Texas firms are just littered with UT honors grads, and a Harvard bro who's a native Texan is going to really stand out. It's only a decision you can make, but I know any of my close family members would kick my ass if they found out I was going to X local state school over Harvard law so I could be closer to them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:33 pm

UT has been great to me and I chose it over good T14 options, somewhat for cost but largely for personal reasons so I can relate.

Good luck

Dog

Bronze

Post by Dog » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:53 pm

I think the guy who chose a full UT scholarship over Harvard had to pay for H himself, and he also had $100k+ of undergrad debt. His decision was quite a bit different.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:10 pm

Your LSAT really doesn't mean anything now- the only purpose it serves is getting you into good schools.

Definitely assume median at either school, and keep in mind that the student body at each are almost entirely indistinguishable with respect to academic ability etc.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:02 pm

Another UT student chiming in - take H.

I know there are family reasons, and that can be important, but I'd definitely take H.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:54 am

I'm curious if OP takes the overwhelmingly one-sided advice ITT lol. There aren't even any trolls here advocating UT, it's unanimously H.

Just to fill the troll quota:

"I go to Harvard Law School" is gonna drop a lot more jaws and ladies' undies than "I go to UT Austin Law School"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”