Buffalo vs. Syracuse Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
reverendt

Bronze

Buffalo vs. Syracuse

Post by reverendt » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:56 pm

Hey all!

I may potentially have to choose between SUNY Buffalo and Syracuse U. Syracuse has offered me a pretty good scholarship, so the tuition difference is not a factor (if anything, Syracuse would work out a little cheaper).
It would seem like an obvious choice...Buffalo is ranked in the 70's and Syracuse is Tier 3.
However, I've heard some folks say that Syracuse Law's reputation is much better than its ranking would suggest.
Does anyone have any knowledge or input that would help steer me one way or the other????

nellie06

New

Re: Buffalo vs. Syracuse

Post by nellie06 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:22 pm

It all really depends. Buffalo is like yale with the non numeric grading system i believe, and even 1L's have a lot of freedom to pick classes. That may benefit a student, because worrying about rank and gpa don't have to drive their every keystroke during exams. Both schools I think are on the same level. Regardless of where you choose, two things will be paramount: graduating with high honors and being on a respected journal or law review. That's really the only way that graduates from these schools can compete in the nyc legal market.

That being said, I'm not trying to scare you. Just trying to be realistic, because schools can pump up their reputation for their benefit and your detriment. I would say take the scholarship, because 'cuse it used to actually be a decently ranked law school somewhat on the level of a st.john's and somehow fell off the map. But during that period it built up a decent alumni network. 'Cuse has about 13 biglaw offices coming to recruit and buffalo has 7. Go with cuse, its a private university and you won't have the stigma of going to a 'suny' for law school. It's hard to shake a state university tag, especially if the school isn't highly ranked.

Regardless, the cream of the crop can succeed from either school. U of buffalo has partners at top firms including the #1 law firm in america, and 'cuse has partners at firms as high as #2. If you do very well, you can get your foot in the door at biglaw. T-14's can bask in the glow of their jd's and you can't. But if you're both working at the same firm making the same salary, does it really matter?

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:27 pm

I agree with Nellie, except for the state school stigma. I think these schools are pretty equivalent, although Syracuse is probably more highly regarded. If costs are equal, I would go with Syracuse - its rep is a little better than its USNWR ranking.

nellie06

New

Post by nellie06 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:44 pm

ari, I only meant it in the context of a lowly ranked school of course. It would be presumptuous to say otherwise, since uva, michigan, the uc law schools, etc are all amazing schools despite being state funded. But in ny, the state law schools are not impressive. That's why there's no benefit to going to a state law school in ny.

Sarajbj

New

Post by Sarajbj » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:53 am

I personally would choose Buffalo, but I can't really tell you why (ie I'm not helping)

But as real advice, since both school seem that they will give you similar educations, go with one that has more course offerings in the area that intrests you most, or clinical opportunities that you like better, or study abroad options or whatever you find important in a school. Rankings matter less at this point, so go where you feel you'll get what your looking for, whether that be weather, campus lift etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:55 am

ari, I only meant it in the context of a lowly ranked school of course. It would be presumptuous to say otherwise, since uva, michigan, the uc law schools, etc are all amazing schools despite being state funded. But in ny, the state law schools are not impressive. That's why there's no benefit to going to a state law school in ny.
Oh, I see what you're saying now. I would agree that there's no state benefit, except perhaps in cost. I think Syracuse is the better school, which settles most of the debate if he can get money. I really think at this level, it's minimizing debt that matters most.

buffalo-best

New

Post by buffalo-best » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:13 am

As a UB undergrad I strongly suggest that you pick Syracuse if the tuition difference has been negated by a scholarship. UB Law has a very very regional reputation and alot of its grads end up going public interest. Private Practice starting salary only lands you about 57k where as I believe the numbers are much better for Syracuse.

Syracuse has a good rep in the entire northeast whereas Buffalo will keep you in WNY or maybe DC or NYC if you graduate with high marks.

buffalo-best

New

Post by buffalo-best » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:14 am

that and the weather up here is horrible but I digress.....

Also, you are correct, Syracuse does have a better rep than UB in the immediate surrounding area.
Last edited by buffalo-best on Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:15 am

I don't think either of these schools have weather to brag about.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

buffalo-best

New

Post by buffalo-best » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:17 am

you would be suprised, Buffalo gets beat up a bit worse than the syracuse region. and the Campus itself does not help matters as far as fighting the harsh winters

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:19 am

The lake effect stuff would be a lot worse. People keep telling me I'm crazy to want to live in Ithaca, but I keep telling them there's worse - I think Buffalo would be worse.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:24 am

Wow...I'm surprised by all the pro-Syracuse sentiment.

I'm really not looking for Biglaw NYC....whichever place I go I'll probably settle in the area. My wife will be earning her PhD at whichever school we choose (she's only been accepted to Buffalo so far, so this could be an entirely moot point) and her program will last 5-7 years, so I'll be staying in the region for at least a while.
So a strong regional reputation is fine with me.
It is interesting that UB does not rank the students.

Anyway...thanks for all the info and opinions....I'd love to hear what anyone else has to say as well....

rochester

New

Post by rochester » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:14 am

For public interest in Buf, Rochester, or Albany Buffalo>>>SU. I dont think it's the difference in education as much as it is the fact that Buffalo grads hold the most jobs in government in those cities. I dont know as much about the private law reps.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbags

New

Post by jbags » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:16 am

I'm from Buffalo. Lived here all my life and I have no doubt I will return after LS. I applied to UB and seriously considered going there. Syracuse never really entered into my picture. My feelings, coupled with a little reaseach leads me to believe that for WNY, Buffalo is a much better choice.There are many more Buffalo grads employed here than Cuse grads. Total guess here, but maybe 15-1. Also, and maybe a little more telling since, well, UB is in Buffalo, Rep in Buffalo highly favors UB.

Little known fact, it actually snows more in Sryacuse than in Buffalo. Plus from May through September (and sometimes October) the weather is perfect, ranging from mid 60's to low 80's. If you have any questions that I might be able to assist you with, feel free to ask.

rochester

New

Post by rochester » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:12 pm

For QoL: much better music/food/nightlife in Buff/Roch compared to Syracuse also. And Buff is close to Niagara and not a far drive from Toronto.

Also, cheaper flights out of Buff than the other two.

Dingolady

New

Post by Dingolady » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:19 pm

Buffalo as a city is WAY better than the other upstate cities. There is soo much to do in Buffalo and really, the weather isn't that bad. Learn to embrace the snow, and you'll love it. However, if you do decide to go to UB, look at other postings on this site about where to live.. you do not want to live near the law school, it's in a suburb of Buffalo. However public commute is easy from great parts of the city (elmwood village).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”