The Extent of Geographical Ties

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by Rigo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:39 pm

I commend these trap schools on marketing. So many misinformed 0L's wanting to go to Fordham and GW.

User avatar
starry eyed

Gold
Posts: 2046
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by starry eyed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:44 pm

I wouldn't stay past my first year if my grades were below median but if after the first year I'm above median, the outcome could not be that bad could it?

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by Rigo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:16 pm

alaird21 wrote:I wouldn't stay past my first year if my grades were below median but if after the first year I'm above median, the outcome could not be that bad could it?
Merely top half is precarious depending on your goals. Biglaw is more like top 30% at the very least and even that's tenuous.

User avatar
starry eyed

Gold
Posts: 2046
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by starry eyed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:21 pm

39% of grads were either employes in 50-500+ firms or fed clerks. And I must assume some of them wanted gov't or PI. I am a very solid interviewer with previous work experience. Seems like a good deal. Plus I'd only have to spend 100k out of pocket for everything, Col included. Also, I would not have to worry about ties as much. (For Fordham)

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by Rigo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:23 pm

alaird21 wrote:39% of grads were either employes in 50-500+ firms or fed clerks. And I must assume some of them wanted gov't or PI. I am a very solid interviewer with previous work experience. Seems like a good deal. Plus I'd only have to spend 100k out of pocket for everything, Col included.
Firms with less than 100 employees generally aren't considered biglaw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
starry eyed

Gold
Posts: 2046
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by starry eyed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:23 pm

My definition of "biglaw" may be broader than most of y'alls' though. I would be happy in 50+ firm. I would graduate with zero debt as well.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by Rigo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:27 pm

alaird21 wrote:My definition of "biglaw" may be broader than most of y'alls' though. I would be happy in 50+ firm. I would graduate with zero debt as well.
Well your definition is off in your own little world then.
You have a great gpa and are retaking the lsat. I don't get why you're fixated on regional schools in regions you're not even from.
Get that 168 or higher and use that trust fund + gi bill to go to a T13.

User avatar
starry eyed

Gold
Posts: 2046
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by starry eyed » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:46 pm

I know. My big thing is nerves on the test. If I can relax, I know I can get a 170. I also took it as a freshmsn

User avatar
AT9

Gold
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by AT9 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:02 am

I disagree slightly with some of the advice here.

If being in Dallas is your top priority above practice types/areas, then SMU for cheap (you'll get probably a 2/3 or so tuition discount with your stats as is...I would want more to make it "cheap") may be your best bet judging by what another UT poster said about the Dallas market and ties (though I still assume T14+UT may be better).

But obviously if you're shooting for biglaw or something specific and Dallas just sounds cool, then perhaps not such a good option.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


User avatar
Louis1127

Silver
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by Louis1127 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:20 am

alaird21 wrote:Hi everyone, I use to lurk on this site a couple years ago. Well, until i took the LSAT and underperformed, and then pursued the medical school route and now I'm back lol.
Stats: 163, 3.81 --- retaking in december

My question is concerning geographical ties. I have my heart set on SMU, however I am concerned as to how insular that market is.
I love Dallas. I could really see myself living their the rest of my life. My goals are biglaw/midlaw/fed clerk.

My undergrad is located in Louisiana close to Baton Rouge area. My older sister lives in New Orleans. The rest of my family lives in rural MS. My girlfriend's family lives in a town about 90 minutes away from Dallas. I apologize if I'm being a bit neurotic here, but I've read posts mentioning that if you don't know people in Dallas, you aren't getting a job there. My general question: is having ties to the "South" good enough for firm interviewers in Dallas.

As far as the bolded, I know that feel, bro. Also, I'm assuming that you are from there? If so, those ties will help with anywhere in the state, even Jackson and their fancy ass suburbs. Have you considered that? Why are you so stuck o Dallas, in particular?

User avatar
starry eyed

Gold
Posts: 2046
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by starry eyed » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:15 am

Because Jackson is ghetto lol. I sent you a pm Louis.
Last edited by starry eyed on Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
starry eyed

Gold
Posts: 2046
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by starry eyed » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:27 am

Being in Dallas is not my top priority, biglaw is. Dallas seems attractive because $ goes way further there than nyc/dc. And I feel the competition in law school be lighter at SMU. That's another point though, and a controversial one lol.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by Rigo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:11 pm

alaird21 wrote:Being in Dallas is not my top priority, biglaw is.
Then you really need to go to a T13.

Lower-ranked schools are often MORE competitive because everyone knows jobs are scarce.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
Mack.Hambleton

Platinum
Posts: 5414
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:35 pm

alaird21 wrote:Being in Dallas is not my top priority, biglaw is. Dallas seems attractive because $ goes way further there than nyc/dc. And I feel the competition in law school be lighter at SMU. That's another point though, and a controversial one lol.
competition is lighter at a school where less than 25% of students can land jobs to pay off their debt? hmm..

User avatar
starry eyed

Gold
Posts: 2046
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by starry eyed » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:50 pm

It's ok bungles. I know you need the last word. You got it.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by BigZuck » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:58 pm

I really do think you need to find better trees to bark up if you want big law. A school like UT is pretty iffy for big law, SMU, GWU, and Fordham doubly so. You can find actual grads of those schools on this site who can tell you how tough it is to get. Also, students at those schools will be, by and large, just as capable as you and even if they weren't law school grading can be frustratingly random at times. At schools with a very thin margin of error, the difference between a B+ and an A on one test (aka one bad afternoon) can essentially foreclose you from big law forever.

The T14 is for biglaw, not these schools.

User avatar
starry eyed

Gold
Posts: 2046
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:26 am

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by starry eyed » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:05 pm

Thank you for that BigZuck. I guess i'm largely ignorant of the grading process of law schools. That makes a lot of sense.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by Rigo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:11 pm

BigZuck wrote: The T14 is for biglaw, not these schools.
I echo everything BigZuck says, but I'm going to qualify this by saying Georgetown is not a good school either if deadset on biglaw.
Not trying to start a debate with angry Hoyas, but BL+FC placement numbers speak for themselves.
You should really look be looking at Yale thru Cornell.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by BigZuck » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:30 pm

Dirigo wrote:
BigZuck wrote: The T14 is for biglaw, not these schools.
I echo everything BigZuck says, but I'm going to qualify this by saying Georgetown is not a good school either if deadset on biglaw.
Not trying to start a debate with angry Hoyas, but BL+FC placement numbers speak for themselves.
You should really look be looking at Yale thru Cornell.
Yeah, I mean maybe. Probably? I dunno. I love making fun of GULC and, the true red-headed stepchild of the T14, Michigan. But I am willing to at least be agnostic as to whether or not there might be some self-selection bias at GULC (but certainly not nearly as much as its apologists give it credit for). If someone said it's Cornell+ or bust for big law I wont argue with that, I personally wouldn't choose GULC unless it were significantly cheaper because even if there is self-selection, it's impossible to quantify. And that is what makes it the true festering TTTT that it is: GULC is almost always prohibitively expensive.

tl;dr=#t124lyfe

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by Rigo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:36 pm

That Michigan sentiment is new. Care to explain a bit?

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by BigZuck » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:42 pm

Dirigo wrote:That Michigan sentiment is new. Care to explain a bit?
I don't care if Dean Z is the cool aunt of the law dean world, it's pretty obvious that Michigan is a degree mill that should be shut down. GULC and Michigan fanboys will finally get it when UT and Vandy take their rightful place in the T14.

But yeah, people make fun of it because it's employment stats have been lagging lately, Dean Z's schtick is obnoxious, and Michigan students on here get SUPER butthurt when you point out its deficiencies. They are worse than GULC apologists IMO.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


User avatar
Mack.Hambleton

Platinum
Posts: 5414
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:08 pm

Why aren't you including Boalt? They have lower Fed clerk plus biglaw percentage than Michigan

anonamich

New
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:48 pm

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by anonamich » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:02 pm

Just curious BigZuck, but why do you care? Did you get denied at Michigan and are holding a grudge? Or you just really don't like emails from Dean Z?

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: The Extent of Geographical Ties

Post by BigZuck » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:03 pm

anonamich wrote:Just curious BigZuck, but why do you care? Did you get denied at Michigan and are holding a grudge? Or you just really don't like emails from Dean Z?
There it is

Ok, now I know someone is getting WHOOSHed. Is it me? I bet it's me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “Choosing a Law School”