LSU, UH, STCL what to do...... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HoustonDjango

New

LSU, UH, STCL what to do......

Post by HoustonDjango » Sun May 11, 2014 8:47 pm

I'm an 37 year old non traditional student. I have lived in Houston the last 9 years and would love to work here. I've narrowed my schools down to UH, LSU, and STCL. LSU is the only one offering me money, $10,000 per year and in state tuition which brings my tuition to around 5000 per semester. UH and STCL I'm looking at around $17,000 and $14,000 per sem respectively.

If I stay in Houston, I can work a job where I work 2 days a week and make around 1500 per week under the table, but it's 2 very long days. Going to Baton Rouge I will just chose to not work and focus completely on school. My 13 year old daughter and her mom, who I'm not with are also moving to Baton Rouge in the fall.

I'm wondering, what is my best move. Keep in mind I would like practice in Texas, sand with an engineering background I'd like to do patent law. I have gained several connections with prominent families in Houston.

Starting one place and transferring has also crossed my mind....I have to make a decision ASAP

Thanks in advance for any help

PepperJack

Silver

Re: LSU, UH, STCL what to do......

Post by PepperJack » Sun May 11, 2014 9:26 pm

HoustonDjango wrote:I'm an 37 year old non traditional student. I have lived in Houston the last 9 years and would love to work here. I've narrowed my schools down to UH, LSU, and STCL. LSU is the only one offering me money, $10,000 per year and in state tuition which brings my tuition to around 5000 per semester. UH and STCL I'm looking at around $17,000 and $14,000 per sem respectively.

If I stay in Houston, I can work a job where I work 2 days a week and make around 1500 per week under the table, but it's 2 very long days. Going to Baton Rouge I will just chose to not work and focus completely on school. My 13 year old daughter and her mom, who I'm not with are also moving to Baton Rouge in the fall.

I'm wondering, what is my best move. Keep in mind I would like practice in Texas, sand with an engineering background I'd like to do patent law. I have gained several connections with prominent families in Houston.

Starting one place and transferring has also crossed my mind....I have to make a decision ASAP

Thanks in advance for any help
None of these are great choices. You have to understand that being a non-traditional student isn't great for you re: hiring. You're going to be near 40 by the time OCI rolls around, which is what you'd need to service 150k+ in debt. Firstly, it's risky at any school because many places send down associates in their mid-20's who are looking at people with the #'s who they click with. There's no intentional age discrimination, but it's simply lower odds you'll click with someone than a random student in their early 20s. At these places you need everything to be perfect - top 10%, being a great interviewer, etc. The odds are so low that it's difficult to recommend.

I also don't understand what the link is between rich families in Texas, and getting a job in Texas. The firms really just want someone who can go do the work, and who they like being around. No one cares who you know unless s/he's bringing in business.

LSU isn't that expensive, but I really think you should retake. Planning to transfer is hard. You would need top 5% grades. On your plan:

1.) Making money under the table is a stupid plan because the bar checks everything. You shouldn't be planning to commit federal crimes, especially when a group who does not understand money concerns is checking up on you.

2.) No offense and don't be discouraged by this, but your writing is not that great. It will be very hard to CALI classes the way you need to with that writing style.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:35 am

This seems like bad idea jeans.

You should only go to these schools if you get full tuition or nearly-full tuition.

Also, if you can make $1,500/week, why don't you just do that? That's more than 80% of these schools' graduates are going to make.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon May 12, 2014 9:19 am

Whatever he is doing to make $1500 under the table is probably not stable nor a good long-term career choice.

Don't go into law skill thinking you'll be able to transfer. Number one rule. Choose a school you'll not regret graduating from. That way in case you can transfer you're still happy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”