Help! American law or Howard?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lee723

New

Help! American law or Howard?

Post by lee723 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:33 pm

152 LSAT
3.6 GPA

I am accepted into American, already paid my deposit... I am waitlisted at Howard

Howard is my top choice because at the end of the day I am looking at the $$ figures. I want manageable debt and a job that will provide me with enough income, I understand that I would need to graduate Howard top 20% of the class to land in big law, 160k starting median in the private sector compared to 80k for American.... Howard wins in that

Howard is 30k full time a semester while American is 65k

So howard is cheaper, and will promise me almost double the salary if I play my cards right but people keep telling me "go to American its ranked higher blah blah blah"

What do you think? My #1 goal is job outcome and a high salary

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Re: Help! American law or Howard?

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:34 pm

lee723 wrote:152 LSAT
3.6 GPA

I am accepted into American, already paid my deposit... I am waitlisted at Howard

Howard is my top choice because at the end of the day I am looking at the $$ figures. I want manageable debt and a job that will provide me with enough income, I understand that I would need to graduate Howard top 20% of the class to land in big law, 160k starting median in the private sector compared to 80k for American.... Howard wins in that

So howard is cheaper, and will promise me almost double the salary if I play my cards right but people keep telling me "go to American its ranked higher blah blah blah"

you definitely need to r.etake

hcrimson2014

Bronze

Post by hcrimson2014 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:39 pm

3.6 GPA

I think COL is also cheaper in Howard, although I am not certain. If you do not want to retake, go to whichever you feel most comfortable with.

John Everyman

Silver

Post by John Everyman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:53 pm

3.6 GPA

Completely disregard the median starting salary as it is riddled with self-selection bias. These two documents are all that matter:

--LinkRemoved--
http://www.wcl.american.edu/career/docu ... istics.pdf

Howard placed about 15%(ish) of its grads into jobs which pay 160k.
American placed about 16%(ish) of its grads into jobs which pay 160k.

Getting top 20% in either school wont cut it, you'll need top 15%.

If your number one goal is a high salary, you should:

1. rethink law school, lots of better jobs than lawyers that pay high salaries.
2. absolutely wait a year and do that thing that everyone tells you to do.

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm

hcrimson2014 wrote:
I think COL is also cheaper in Howard, although I am not certain.
VanNess/Cleveland Park is marginally cheaper than Tenleytown, but the schools are like 10 blocks apart - COL is gonna be about the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”