GULC debt free? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JimH52

New

GULC debt free?

Post by JimH52 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:40 pm

Hey guys,

So Georgetown Law is the highest ranked school I've been accepted to this cycle. I was hoping to get into Cornell but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I live in NYC and would like to work here if possible after law school. Unfortunately retaking isn't an option for me because I have a 170+ LSAT already and the reason I haven't been able to get into higher ranked schools is probably my GPA ( it's below 25th percentile for every school in the top 14).

I happen to be in a fortunate situation in that my family is going to be able to pay for my law school education + any living expenses. Obviously I don't want to throw my parents money away but I do really want to go to law school. As of right now Big Law is my goal.

I guess my question is what would you guys do in my situation? I know Georgetown isn't the best school in the country but would graduating without debt make it worth it to you?

Also if you could not quote this that would be great, thanks guys!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: GULC debt free?

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:52 pm

To which other law schools did you apply ? Your numbers (173,3.45) should have yielded a few T-14 acceptances. With a year or two of post-undergraduate work experience, Northwestern should accept you.

JimH52

New

Post by JimH52 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:54 pm

I applied to Cornell, Duke, Michigan, Penn, Virginia, Columbia, Chicago, NYU. Wait listed at all of them :(

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:55 pm

JimH52 wrote:I applied to Cornell, Duke, Michigan, Penn, Virginia, Columbia, Chicago, NYU. Wait listed at all of them :(
Omg that is brutal.

But u will get off one if you make it clear u want to attend

JimH52

New

Post by JimH52 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:56 pm

You mean basically just begging in a LOCI? lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:57 pm

Work for a year & reapply. Consider Northwestern. In the meantime, fight for Chicago, NYU & Columbia as well as for Virginia & Penn to get more bang for your parents' bucks.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:58 pm

Yeah just ride those waitlists. If your family is paying anyway and you want biglaw you might as well hold out for one that places better than Georgetown.

JimH52

New

Post by JimH52 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:59 pm

I might be completely wrong about this but I thought getting off wait lists was near impossible at top 14 schools?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:00 am

Some things are worth "fighting for". If you view it as begging, then at least do it in a sincere & sophisticated manner in person & via LOCIs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:01 am

I would ride the waitlist out and put a serious effort into LOCI's, but I wouldn't wait another cycle since your LSAT is fine, you can't do anything about your GPA, and a year of work experience won't make a huge impact on your resume unless you score something really awesome

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:01 am

JimH52 wrote:I might be completely wrong about this but I thought getting off wait lists was near impossible at top 14 schools?
Not in the last few years where there has been a massive decline in applicants. Chances are decent that you'll get off of at least one, but it's certainly no guarantee. Definitely get ready to put together a few LOCIs.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:01 am

JimH52 wrote:I might be completely wrong about this but I thought getting off wait lists was near impossible at top 14 schools?
nah, it happens

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:02 am

JimH52 wrote:I applied to Cornell, Duke, Michigan, Penn, Virginia, Columbia, Chicago, NYU. Wait listed at all of them :(
There's a difference between GULC for free when your opportunity cost is Michigan at sticker, and GULC for free when your opportunity cost is literally any other better ranked school you can get in to for free.

Am I correct in assuming your parents will cover your entire COA regardless of which school you go to? If that's the case, the "free" part should literally be a non factor in your decision making.

Try to get off a waitlist. Someone will need a 173.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JimH52

New

Post by JimH52 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:03 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Some things are worth "fighting for". If you view it as begging, then at least do it in a sincere & sophisticated manner in person & via LOCIs.
Yeah I definitely think you guys are right and I'll write the LOCIs for the schools. It would make me so happy to get off one of the wait lists. Not to say I'm not happy with G-town I guess I just thought I'd get in somewhere higher ranked.

JimH52

New

Post by JimH52 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:03 am

aboutmydaylight wrote:
There's a difference between GULC for free when your opportunity cost is Michigan at sticker, and GULC for free when your opportunity cost is literally any other better ranked school you can get in to for free.

Am I correct in assuming your parents will cover your entire COA regardless of which school you go to? If that's the case, the "free" part should literally be a non factor in your decision making.

Yeah they will pay no matter the school. Do you think I actually have a good shot to get off a wait list?

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:04 am

hichvichwoh wrote:I would ride the waitlist out and put a serious effort into LOCI's, but I wouldn't wait another cycle since your LSAT is fine, you can't do anything about your GPA, and a year of work experience won't make a huge impact on your resume unless you score something really awesome
But predictions indicate even fewer applicants next cycle, so even the same numbers could see a boost.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:04 am

JimH52 wrote:
aboutmydaylight wrote:

Yeah they will pay no matter the school. Do you think I actually have a good shot to get off a wait list?
Yes. There is a very good chance you will imo

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:05 am

In your situation, strong numbers & waitlisted everywhere as a well qualified full-pay applicant, admissions offices should welcome your LOCI & phone/in-person follow-up. Easy to do at NYU & Columbia since you live in NYC. If funds are not a concern, then a visit to Chicago should be considered.

JimH52

New

Post by JimH52 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:07 am

CanadianWolf wrote:In your situation, strong numbers & waitlisted everywhere as a well qualified full-pay applicant, admissions offices should welcome your LOCI & phone/in-person follow-up. Easy to do at NYU & Columbia since you live in NYC. If funds are not a concern, then a visit to Chicago should be considered.
This might be a silly question but is that something I would put in a LOCI? That they don't have to give me a scholarship and my parents will pay? Is that a really obnoxious thing to say?

yossarian

Silver

Post by yossarian » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:08 am

jk148706 wrote:
hichvichwoh wrote:I would ride the waitlist out and put a serious effort into LOCI's, but I wouldn't wait another cycle since your LSAT is fine, you can't do anything about your GPA, and a year of work experience won't make a huge impact on your resume unless you score something really awesome
But predictions indicate even fewer applicants next cycle, so even the same numbers could see a boost.
Source? I was worried next cycle would be harder because of lurkers seeing the decline in applicants as their time to apply + the first "good news" for law hiring since recession.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:12 am

It depends upon how you say it. For example, " As a waitlisted applicant, I would like to express my continuing interest in attending NYU law this fall. I realize that scholarship funds are probably unavailable & I am prepared to attend as a full-pay student."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JimH52

New

Post by JimH52 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:13 am

This is what I was thinking. I would be terrified to sit out a cycle and have the same thing happen except also get wait listed at Georgetown.

Hitchensian

Bronze

Post by Hitchensian » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:14 am

I don't mean to say this rudely, but was there something else amiss with your applications that you're not telling us? Maybe a C&F issue or a risque personal statement?

It just seems bizarre that you got waitlisted at all of those schools, so I'm fishing for an explanation.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:15 am

Georgetown is a great law school, but, bluntly speaking, the others are greater.

JimH52

New

Post by JimH52 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:16 am

The only thing I could see wrong with my app is I don't have impressive softs at all. But I'm not sure 1 year of work experience will change that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”