RU Newark vs Seton Hall vs Penn State Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
legal-eagle

New

RU Newark vs Seton Hall vs Penn State

Post by legal-eagle » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:13 pm

Hey future lawyers!!!

I'm new to this site and wanted to get some input from everyone!

Here's my basic info:

Seton Hall
finance and legal studies major

I got into RU Newark with a full scholarship, like textbooks included kinda scholarship! And I live about 30 min away so I'd probably commute from home.. (free law school whaattttt!!) .. 3.0 stip

Also got into Penn State with a $20,000 scholarship (2.75 stip) that is in the process of going up (negotiated with the dean after i got the RU scholarship and she's waiting for my fall 13 transcript before she approves an increase)

and then there's Seton Hall where I got in online and got an email that scholarship info is being mailed to my house and so i'm not sure how much that will be yet.

Which do you think would be the best school and why? I'm working on a bunch of pro-con lists and i'm still waiting for a few more schools but i don't know if I can turn down a full scholly lol. of course not going to make any decisions til i hear back from everyone else but of these 3 what do u guys think?

Also, born and raised in jersey.. i want to practice here and stay here FOREVER =)

thanks in advance for the help

u guys rock!!!

Platinum

Re: RU Newark vs Seton Hall vs Penn State

Post by 03152016 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:53 pm

What are your goals? Is there a particular area of law you're interested in?

legal-eagle

New

Post by legal-eagle » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:09 pm

Max324 wrote:What are your goals? Is there a particular area of law you're interested in?
i'm not too sure which type of law i want to do yet.. i was thinking something that would get me a federal government job.. also considering environmental for my need to save the planet... then i was thinking i could always do that on the side as i may need to make some money first with my undergrad debt.. lol in conclusion I'm still all over the place and don't quite know yet.. I've been told by lawyers that u usually figure out after ur first year, after u take some classes and see what interests u

Snowboarder1588

Bronze

Post by Snowboarder1588 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:14 pm

As long as you don't care about big law, R-Newark for free is a good option.
Although, your 3.7 makes retaking worthwhile. 5-10 more points on the LSAT would have you in great shape. Since you don't really know what you want to do yet, it's important that you go somewhere where you have many options and that will only happen at a better school. Anyways, Retake is number 1 and then R-Newark, that way even if you don't have employment upon graduation, you at least wont have debt which is great. Finally, if that's the route you decide on taking, try to see if they can remove that stip on the scholly for you.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:18 pm

I would definitely retake the LSAT. 7+ points higher and you're talking about schools like Cornell being in play (potentially with really solid money).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legal-eagle

New

Post by legal-eagle » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:24 pm

BigZuck wrote:I would definitely retake the LSAT. 7+ points higher and you're talking about schools like Cornell being in play (potentially with really solid money).

My pre-law advisor said taking it 3 times would look bad so I didn't register for February. Do you think it's too late if i take the June one?

already sent out all my apps last month! would i have to re send them? ahhhh dang! wish i didn't listen to that guy lol

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:29 pm

legal-eagle wrote:

My pre-law advisor said taking it 3 times would look bad so I didn't register for February.
:|

He/she is wrong. Just wrong.

Retake

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:30 pm

legal-eagle wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I would definitely retake the LSAT. 7+ points higher and you're talking about schools like Cornell being in play (potentially with really solid money).

My pre-law advisor said taking it 3 times would look bad so I didn't register for February. Do you think it's too late if i take the June one?
Pre-law advisors are straight retarded. What qualifications do you need to get that job?

Anyway, Rutgers for free is a decent deal if you're okay with staying in New Jersey indefinitely. I'd still retake though. Nothing to lose.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:58 pm

legal-eagle wrote:

already sent out all my apps last month! would i have to re send them? ahhhh dang! wish i didn't listen to that guy lol
I retook June a couple years ago, made a similar jump to what I described and then was offered a large scholarship from the school I had comitted to. I withdrew and reapplied to better schools the next fall.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:06 pm

There should be a cause of action against your prelaw advisor for giving you such bad advice.

Outside of Harvard, Yale, and Stanford, law schools do not average LSAT. There is no drawback for them to consider only your highest score, because that is the only one they have to report to USNWR. To average scores would put them at a huge disadvantage in the rankings race, and I have no idea why your advisor said something so stupid.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:22 pm

I say take the easy money at RU-N. A free JD from the flagship school in the state you want to work in sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. And as a born 'n raised Jersey kid, you might have a slightly easier chance at finding employment than most coming out of Rutgers. You just have to be cool with Biglaw not happening, and plan on dropping out if you lose your scholarship.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:30 pm

I agree that Rutgers for free (other than a retake) is your best option, but 1) you need to get the stipulations removed. Not sure of what the curve is, but there is no way I would attend with a 3.0 stipulation. 2) doesn't really sound like you know what you want or what practicing law truly entails. You should probably find out because it is likely not what you think. Also, you won't be getting a fed gov't job (in all likelihood) from Rutgers.

resilience99

Bronze

Post by resilience99 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:38 pm

you most likely got seton hall for free, which I think is the better option, because they usually have much better stips, and they employ slightly better than RU. In addition, the class sizes are smaller... retake is TCR though

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

legal-eagle

New

Post by legal-eagle » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:51 pm

resilience99 wrote:you most likely got seton hall for free, which I think is the better option, because they usually have much better stips, and they employ slightly better than RU. In addition, the class sizes are smaller... retake is TCR though
deadpanic wrote:I agree that Rutgers for free (other than a retake) is your best option, but 1) you need to get the stipulations removed. Not sure of what the curve is, but there is no way I would attend with a 3.0 stipulation. 2) doesn't really sound like you know what you want or what practicing law truly entails. You should probably find out because it is likely not what you think. Also, you won't be getting a fed gov't job (in all likelihood) from Rutgers.
for those that recommended retaking, which i am very much considering now as i feel like i have nothing to lose, do you think i could put my pending apps on hold for them to wait until my june score then? i sent out apps to columbia, cornell, nyu, duke, upenn, boston, georgetown as well. i thought id have a chance with my gpa and internships and writing two books.

id hate to wait until next cycle tho, with my scholarship offers now being so tempting. is it too late for the june lsat to help me for this cycle?

.... damn that prelaw advisor and me for listening to him lol

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:04 pm

legal-eagle wrote:

If this is what your advisor told you, he has committed professional malpractice.

There is absolutely no drawback to retaking, and you need to get into the best school you can for as cheap as you can. The field of law is EXTREMELY competitive. There's only 1 good job out there for every 5 people graduating law school, and only 1 job at all for every 2 graduates. Where you go to school in the first place can be literally half the battle in finding employment. And going for cheap is a huge factor in mitigating your downside risk.

If you go to a much worse school because you failed to retake the LSAT all three times, I question whether you really have what it takes to practice law. You need to look for every advantage possible in order to stand out from the crowd. You should honestly just take another year, see if you can get some sort of clerk job at a law firm in the meantime to see if you even like the work, and take the LSAT again in both June and December, studying more each time. You get three chances, and only your highest counts. The outcome has a HUGE impact on your future. Why not take all three?
Last edited by JCougar on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MistakenGenius

Silver

Post removed.

Post by MistakenGenius » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:06 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by MistakenGenius on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

legal-eagle

New

Post by legal-eagle » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:49 pm

JCougar wrote:
legal-eagle wrote:

If this is what your advisor told you, he has committed professional malpractice.

There is absolutely no drawback to retaking, and you need to get into the best school you can for as cheap as you can. The field of law is EXTREMELY competitive. There's only 1 good job out there for every 5 people graduating law school, and only 1 job at all for every 2 graduates. Where you go to school in the first place can be literally half the battle in finding employment. And going for cheap is a huge factor in mitigating your downside risk.

If you go to a much worse school because you failed to retake the LSAT all three times, I question whether you really have what it takes to practice law. You need to look for every advantage possible in order to stand out from the crowd. You should honestly just take another year, see if you can get some sort of clerk job at a law firm in the meantime to see if you even like the work, and take the LSAT again in both June and December, studying more each time. You get three chances, and only your highest counts. The outcome has a HUGE impact on your future. Why not take all three?

last summer i was the assistant for an assemblyman and i was a legal intern for a year and now I'm a paralegal.. i love law, not considering anything else. but i think i will retake it in june, thanks for the advice

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paintbynumbers

New

Post by paintbynumbers » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:59 pm

If your goal is to practice in NJ, then you really cannot beat Rutgers, especially for free. NJ is extremely insular market, and most judges only hire Rutgers/Seton Hall grads for clerkships. I don't see how retaking will help you much if you can go to the state school for free. Honestly do not think that retaking and trying to get into a Penn, NYU, or Columbia at full-cost is a good idea if you want to practice in NJ.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:52 am

paintbynumbers wrote:If your goal is to practice in NJ, then you really cannot beat Rutgers, especially for free. NJ is extremely insular market, and most judges only hire Rutgers/Seton Hall grads for clerkships. I don't see how retaking will help you much if you can go to the state school for free. Honestly do not think that retaking and trying to get into a Penn, NYU, or Columbia at full-cost is a good idea if you want to practice in NJ.
Sticker is for schmucks and splitters (sorry splitter bros). He is neither. He can retake and get a solid scholarship to a T14 with that gpa.

legal-eagle

New

Post by legal-eagle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:55 pm

BigZuck wrote:
paintbynumbers wrote:If your goal is to practice in NJ, then you really cannot beat Rutgers, especially for free. NJ is extremely insular market, and most judges only hire Rutgers/Seton Hall grads for clerkships. I don't see how retaking will help you much if you can go to the state school for free. Honestly do not think that retaking and trying to get into a Penn, NYU, or Columbia at full-cost is a good idea if you want to practice in NJ.
Sticker is for schmucks and splitters (sorry splitter bros). He is neither. He can retake and get a solid scholarship to a T14 with that gpa.

*she haha

I've been doing research and i really don't want to do corporate law.. not sure if this changes any input i was going to get

thanks everyone

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:44 pm

legal-eagle wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

*she haha

I've been doing research and i really don't want to do corporate law.. not sure if this changes any input i was going to get

thanks everyone
Yeah, it does. You need to retake and get into a school with better biglaw prospects, since there are very few employers who do corporate law outside of those jobs.

EDIT: I did misread. My bad. Don't eat and TLS at the same time.
Last edited by timbs4339 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:57 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
legal-eagle wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

*she haha

thanks everyone
Yeah, it does. You need to retake and get into a school with better biglaw prospects, since there are very few employers who do corporate law outside of those jobs.
I think you misread. OP doesn't want to do corporate law. OP, what do you want to do?

legal-eagle

New

Post by legal-eagle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:25 pm

I think you misread. OP doesn't want to do corporate law. OP, what do you want to do?[/quote]

haha that's a good question. i know its cliche but i want to have an impact on the world. i do a lot of volunteering and i want to make a difference. i really want to work for the government and also environmental.. so i want to help humans and animals basically lol i know money won't be great but that's not my top priority. graduating debt free would be great then considering i won't have a fancy high paying job.

so any thoughts on RU vs seton hall? those would be my debt free options

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:34 pm

I honestly just hope we're being trolled.

Lwoods1020

Bronze

Post by Lwoods1020 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:45 pm

PSU. no question

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”