law school and surfing (CALI) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
crit_racer

Silver

Re: law school and surfing (CALI)

Post by crit_racer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:41 pm

OP:

NORCAL has amazing surfing. Even within SF, you can go to Ocean Beach, which can have amazing surf. Youre also a short drive from some amazing surf spots that are just an hour or two south of the city.

Also, not sure how good of a surfer you are, but Mavericks is pretty gnarly. Most ppl don't just go paddle out in that if they don't have experience w/ other world class breaks. If you're going to surf Mavs you should be able to hold your breath for close to two minutes.

The water in Norcal is cold, but you wear a thick wetsuit and get used to it.

I would say the best GOOD school close to GOOD surfing is Berkeley. If you can't get in there, go to USC/UCLA. Anything lower isn't worth it, and anything not in Cali isn't worth it for surfing. Good luck.

sandwich

Bronze

Post by sandwich » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:19 pm

crit_racer wrote:If you're going to surf Mavs you should be able to hold your breath for close to way more than two minutes.

Good luck.
:D :D

Gotta love when those Florida kids come and say, "hey, I've heard of Mav's. Let's go! I can take it!"

crit_racer, are you in SF? Did you see that OB is looking like it's gonna be 15-20 feet this weekend? Yow!

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:31 pm

Nah not anymore. I live in Austin now actually so have found other things. Just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii though :) my buddies who are still in SF posted some videos of OB the last couple weeks, and it was huge. I wasn't too jealous with my 80F water in Oahu though..

sandwich

Bronze

Post by sandwich » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:50 pm

:shock: how weird. I just had a buddy move from Sf to Austin, and I just sent him some OB videos last week. But you're not him, unless you're trolling me like a champ.

In this case, good show, man.

But if not, let me know and I will put you guys in contact. he drives to the gulf every once in awhile to surf, I'm sure he'd be thrilled with a driving/surf buddy, if you're interested!

samblackbones

New

Post by samblackbones » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:04 am

If you wanna surf every day go UCI/USD. Both within +/- 10 mins of great waves (River Jetties/Huntington/Bolsa Chica at UCI and Sunset Cliffs/South Mission/Blacks etc. in SD). Living anywhere else its unrealistic you will make it out IMO. Not sure how into it you are but the surf industry is firmly headquartered in SD/OC area so if it was something you were going to try and get into permanently I guess you would be proximal at either school. Obviously prestige is the sacrifice. How many $$$s do you love surfing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sandwich

Bronze

Post by sandwich » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:54 pm

samblackbones wrote:How many $$$s do you love surfing?

DAMN YOU!! I though I was fine going to a law school not on the ocean, but now i've gotta think...

Might be time for me to reevaluate tarp surfing, eh?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”