Cornell v UVA v Penn v Reapply Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

???

Cornell COA $132,000
31%
UVA $175,000
20%
Penn COA $204,000
23%
Reapply (see below)
26%

Total votes: 80

Jaqen

Silver

Cornell v UVA v Penn v Reapply

Post by Jaqen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:06 pm

-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings: Loans.

-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any): I'm from the Deep South. I would like to work in Texas, though my ties are mediocre. I'm ok with NYC or DC.

-Your general career goals: Biglaw.

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers: 172/3.9x.

-How many times you have taken the LSAT: Once.

For the record, the scholarship amounts are Cornell: 120k, UVA: 75k, and Penn: 60k.

I applied in November. However, I wasn't admitted to UVA until February. Right when I was admitted, UVA seemed to stop giving $ with phone calls. They told me (and others who were admitted when I was and after) to check back in March/April, especially after the first deposit deadline in April. I was offered 75k just a few days ago, already tried to negotiate, and was shot down. I haven't tried to negotiate with Penn yet.

I've visited UVA and Cornell. I loved Cville and didn't care for Ithaca too much. The schools were both fine, though I liked UVA a bit more. UVA fits my goals better and I love the school, but I'm not comfortable with taking out so much in loans.

I've been waitlisted at H, which I plan to ride out. I'm considering retaking in June, which could help with H if I do better, maybe. Also, if I did better, maybe UVA would increase their award (?). I'm also considering reapplying next cycle. My PS was perhaps a little unconventional. I could also get my apps in the moment they open. But I'm not sure it would be worth it, especially if I don't retake, or retake and do worse.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Cornell v UVA v Penn v Reapply

Post by BigZuck » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:17 pm

UT? Duke?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:18 pm

Jaqen wrote:I would like to work in Texas
Did you apply to UT?

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:20 pm

I applied to UT, but COA there was almost as much as Cornell, so I let their deadline pass earlier this week.

Duke put me on Priority Reserve way back and I haven't heard since.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:24 pm

Cornell or retake. Either would be reasonable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:28 pm

Honestly not saying this to be a dick but you seem to have underperformed your numbers considerably. If I had those numbers I would expect more than these offers. Do you think reapplying would help considerably or is there something in your application that needs to be addressed?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Ya these offers suck with your numbers. Are you a pedophile?

I would be patient and see what happens with the waitlists. Or hire Mike Spivey and re-apply.

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:32 pm

BigZuck wrote:Honestly not saying this to be a dick but you seem to have underperformed your numbers considerably. If I had those numbers I would expect more than these offers. Do you think reapplying would help considerably or is there something in your application that needs to be addressed?
Not dickish at all.

I'm not sure, which is a big part of why I'm not more set on reapplying. My UG is a TTT. I don't want to get specific about my softs, but they are below average for sure. And like I said, my PS was kind of unconventional and very well may have hurt me (all I want to say openly, PM if you want more deets there).

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:34 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Ya these offers suck with your numbers. Are you a pedophile?

I would be patient and see what happens with the waitlists. Or hire Mike Spivey and re-apply.
No lol, and no other C+F issues for that matter.

Spivey does seem to know his stuff...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:39 pm

you'll probably get into Duke in a couple weeks. Check back then

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:40 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Ya these offers suck with your numbers. Are you a pedophile?

I thought Penn gave full rides to those people? (oh wait, maybe that's Penn State...)

In all seriousness though, I am probably going to attend Penn at the same COA. But I'm not that risk averse (maybe I'm just really bad at making financial decisions :? ). I don't have a HYS-worthy GPA like you do, though.

With that GPA, and the fact that you only took the LSAT once, I think TCR is retake. If you think you have enough time for June (I think you do) I would give that a shot for sure. To keep your options open, you may want to put down a deposit at one of these 3 places, if you don't mind losing the $500.00 should you decide on reapplying.

Also, I wouldn't be worried at all about getting a lower LSAT score. Even on the off chance you do (seriously doubt it), schools won't care - it won't hurt you. I had a 164 my first try before I broke into the 170s, and it didn't hurt me at all.

Also, if you're K-JD, the work experience will help. If you're already working, it probably won't help, but certainly won't hurt (and you can save up some $$).
Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:40 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:you'll probably get into Duke in a couple weeks. Check back then
That would be nice. I was PR'd in January and sent in an LOCI a few weeks later. I think I read that they (sometimes) like multiple LOCIs, so I may send in another soon.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:29 pm

Do you need to retake? Reapply and write a better personal statement this time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamesDean1955

Silver

Post by JamesDean1955 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:37 pm

helix23 wrote:Do you need to retake? Reapply and write a better personal statement this time.
Do both. Its only $130 for the test. You honestly shouldn't even need to study much to get an extra couple of points. I took 3 months off before my retake, and I came back scoring significantly higher right off the bat. If you think about it, it makes scientific sense, as the neurons and neural pathways in your brain need time to absorb and recharge.

Take a couple practice tests cold before you hit the books again and see. To me, this is the best kept secret (or people don't mention or know about it) in LSAT prep.

If I had a GPA of 3.9 or higher (HYS worthy), I would have kept taking it with long breaks in between up until my 3rd or 4th retake.

guinness1547

Silver

Post by guinness1547 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Your options aren't bad, but I feel like you should have performed better. Also, a few point LSAT increase could vastly improve your cycle to the tune of a major scholly at a T-6, or HYS acceptance. Do it.

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:47 pm

Jaqen wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Honestly not saying this to be a dick but you seem to have underperformed your numbers considerably. If I had those numbers I would expect more than these offers. Do you think reapplying would help considerably or is there something in your application that needs to be addressed?
Not dickish at all.

I'm not sure, which is a big part of why I'm not more set on reapplying. My UG is a TTT. I don't want to get specific about my softs, but they are below average for sure. And like I said, my PS was kind of unconventional and very well may have hurt me (all I want to say openly, PM if you want more deets there).
You definitely underperformed your numbers as far as I can tell. Work for a year, retake if you'd like, and come back with applications in September. Also, though I don't know the details, with your numbers you should play it safe with the PS for these schools.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:07 pm

Get WE and reapply. You're underperforming, even without a retake.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Alright. I think I'm gonna retake, whether I reapply or not.

I'm kind of surprised that Cornell only has 4 votes, and that Penn has 6. I know Penn has strong placement, but that's a huge COA difference.

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Jaqen wrote:Alright. I think I'm gonna retake, whether I reapply or not.

I'm kind of surprised that Cornell only has 4 votes, and that Penn has 6. I know Penn has strong placement, but that's a huge COA difference.
I think your numbers warranted a Dean's schollie from Cornell.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:01 pm

Who voted Penn? Its not worth 72k more than Cornell.

Skye

Bronze

Post by Skye » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:08 pm

I voted Penn! Such an obvious choice! You'll love it. Ivy babe (in a real city).
Last edited by Skye on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:08 pm

Your numbers should have gotten you at least CCN with $60-75k. What the fuck happened to your cycle?

You don't need to retake, but you should definitely reapply...and maybe write a different personal statement.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:13 pm

Based on our PMs, I think we have a similar combination of weak softs + weak undergrad, etc. So I think we're both destined to underperform our numbers no matter what they are.

With that said, your gpa is over a few medians that mine isn't, so a few more points on a retake + applying early should at the very least get you more money at UVA. And based on what I remember about your motivation for going to law school, I think the debt-minimization route is better for you just in case you discover you hate biglaw.

Still voting Cornell in the poll though.

Skye

Bronze

Post by Skye » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:21 pm

Penn is a de facto T6. Except with better BL placement. Why are you still thinking about this? You have already crossed the goal line.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:41 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”