Cornell vs. Upenn for finding job abroad Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
guyonabuffalo

New

Cornell vs. Upenn for finding job abroad

Post by guyonabuffalo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi guys, big time lurker, first time poster.

I know Upenn places better than Cornell overall, but I was wondering if there was a difference between the two in their ability to place students in positions outside of the US (most likely Europe).

I know Cornell has a strong international program, but does that actually have an impact on being hired by a European firm/legal council for a company based out of Europe, or does it just sound nice?

Which name would carry more weight abroad and increase my chances of being hired in such a position?

Thanks for the help!

Justin Genious

Bronze

Re: Cornell vs. Upenn for finding job abroad

Post by Justin Genious » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:23 pm

no significant difference

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:24 pm

In general, the odds are against you. The best thing you could do if this were your ultimate goals is focus on getting work experience in Europe first and developing your language skills. Then I guess look at the firms that come to each school's OCI, do either have a number of London firms? It's still unlikely, but who knows.

Also, go wherever is cheaper.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Are you from Europe or have some sort of tie beyond a study abroad visit? From what I heard from people that went for magic circle + Vault London offices, they're critical.
You may be able to work for a vault firm with a significant presence abroad and do a secondment. They typically are 1 to 2 year positions abroad in a foreign office. Sometimes, you can get a permenant offer out of it, but I don't believe it's the norm.
But anyway, go wherevers cheaper.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”