NYU VS Fordam VS Cardozo VS Rutgers Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Sweetlady75

New

NYU VS Fordam VS Cardozo VS Rutgers

Post by Sweetlady75 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:30 pm

I have the majority of my decisions back and I am considering the following schools:

Fordham -- Full Tuition
Cardozo-- Full Tuition
Rutgers -Newark- In State Tuition
NYU-- I applied. I haven't been accepted. I probably won't get accepted..LOL.. but, I decided to throw it in anyway, just in case by some miracle, I do get in. I would like some feedback on this option as well, so I won't need to create an additional thread. --- I'm pretty sure it would be at full tuition.

A little background on a possible job prospect upon graduation; I have a family "friend” that is a partner at a law firm. I hope to be able to use this connection for my summer jobs and job upon graduation. But nothing is written in stone yet as I have not reached out to her yet concerning this matter.

So I would love your opinions on the best (guaranteed job) and worst (no job connection) case scenario. I plan to practice in the NY/NJ area.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Re: NYU VS Fordam VS Cardozo VS Rutgers

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:36 pm

When you say "Full tuition," do you mean you have a full ride or are you paying sticker? If the former, then Fordham. If the latter, retake.

Also, reach out before you attend. It doesn't hurt. I made sure...and he's my uncle. It's nice to know whether you have a job lined up as backup or not.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote: A little background on a possible job prospect upon graduation; I have a family "friend” that is a partner at a law firm. I hope to be able to use this connection for my summer jobs and job upon graduation. But nothing is written in stone yet as I have not reached out to her yet concerning this matter.
lol, just lol bro

You don't even know if this person would help you

None of those options are good.

Your best option, RU-N,, is still gonna be over $100k debt, and offers a 50/50 shot at a job

Retake or don't go

law2015

Bronze

Post by law2015 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm

This is a pretty dumb question. If you get NYU what is there to consider? NYU is obviously the right choice given how much it is better than all other schools on your list. Fordham is the second option here.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:45 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:I have the majority of my decisions back and I am considering the following schools:

Fordham -- Full Tuition
Cardozo-- Full Tuition
NYU-- I applied. I haven't been accepted. I probably won't get accepted..LOL.. but, I decided to throw it in anyway, just in case by some miracle, I do get in. I would like some feedback on this option as well, so I won't need to create an additional thread. --- I'm pretty sure it would be at full tuition.

A little background on a possible job prospect upon graduation; I have a family "friend” that is a partner at a law firm. I hope to be able to use this connection for my summer jobs and job upon graduation. But nothing is written in stone yet as I have not reached out to her yet concerning this matter.

So I would love your opinions on the best (guaranteed job) and worst (no job connection) case scenario. I plan to practice in the NY/NJ area.
Do this. Not everyone will be able to help you so you should figure out if this connection is strong or not. May depend on how strong the family friend is.. i.e. how much are they going to be willing to stick their neck out for you. And of course, their influence on hiring will be a significant factor. Probably a good chance they'll say "sorry, can't help, we only hire T14 grads".

As for your question, unless you get into NYU you should consider re-taking the LSAT and waiting a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sweetlady75

New

Post by Sweetlady75 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:53 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:When you say "Full tuition," do you mean you have a full ride or are you paying sticker? If the former, then Fordham. If the latter, retake.

Also, reach out before you attend. It doesn't hurt. I made sure...and he's my uncle. It's nice to know whether you have a job lined up as backup or not.

Sticker, unfortunately......:o/

I was planning to reach out to her once I hear back from NYU. I definitely will feel better about making this decision if I know that I have a back-up job. Although, I would much rather go to a firm where I have no affiliations. I don't know about re-taking...I dont want to see the LSAT ever again in life..LOL

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote: I don't know about re-taking...I dont want to see the LSAT ever again in life..LOL
Thats really short sighted.

Retake

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2#p6092002

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:05 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:When you say "Full tuition," do you mean you have a full ride or are you paying sticker? If the former, then Fordham. If the latter, retake.

I was planning to reach out to her once I hear back from NYU. I definitely will feel better about making this decision if I know that I have a back-up job. Although, I would much rather go to a firm where I have no affiliations. I don't know about re-taking...I dont want to see the LSAT ever again in life..LOL
If you're absolutely set on attending one of these schools, at least register for the June LSAT. You have nothing to lose. The fact that you already know you're going somewhere might eliminate test day jitters. Even if you bomb it, no harm. If you improve drastically, then you have the option (which I'd highly recommend) of disregarding this cycle and reapply next with much better prospects. Start studying now!

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Taking money and employment prospects into account:

NYU>>>RU-N>>Fordham>>>Cardozo

But, as everyone else is saying, none of these are great.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

law2015

Bronze

Post by law2015 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:17 pm

wfudeacons2005 wrote:Taking money and employment prospects into account:

NYU is a pretty great option.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:48 pm

If you are paying full boat at 'Dozo, you aren't getting into NYU.

All of these options are objectively terrible. Retake or do not go.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:

What kind of firm is this? If it is a large firm, don't count on her being able to help you even if she seems optimistic. There are probably dozens, if not hundreds, of relatives and family friends who attend law schools and know partners at various firms. What you should do is ask her if you could get a paralegal job and then study for the LSAT while working.

You need to retake. You won't take one year off to study for a damn test but you'll plop down 250K for schools with bad prospects? It makes no sense.

wfudeacons2005

Bronze

Post by wfudeacons2005 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:23 pm

law2015 wrote:

NYU is a pretty great option.
I was operating under the assumption that someone who is paying sticker at those three places will not get into NYU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sweetlady75

New

Post by Sweetlady75 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:41 pm

john7234797 wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:I have the majority of my decisions back and I am considering the following schools:

Fordham -- Full Tuition
Cardozo-- Full Tuition

Do this. Not everyone will be able to help you so you should figure out if this connection is strong or not. May depend on how strong the family friend is.. i.e. how much are they going to be willing to stick their neck out for you. And of course, their influence on hiring will be a significant factor. Probably a good chance they'll say "sorry, can't help, we only hire T14 grads".

As for your question, unless you get into NYU you should consider re-taking the LSAT and waiting a year.

She is one of the founding partners, so I'm guessing she would be able to influence the decision. I'm just going to go ahead and contact her. Hopefully, I will get the answer I'm looking for. I know she would have no problem with the summers, but as you said, they may be saving their permanent spots for T-14 grads...

Sweetlady75

New

Post by Sweetlady75 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:47 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:

If you're absolutely set on attending one of these schools, at least register for the June LSAT. You have nothing to lose. The fact that you already know you're going somewhere might eliminate test day jitters. Even if you bomb it, no harm. If you improve drastically, then you have the option (which I'd highly recommend) of disregarding this cycle and reapply next with much better prospects. Start studying now!
Hmmm. i will have to give this alot of thought. I do understand your point though b/c the thought of paying all of that money in tuition even with NYU's job prospects, is quite scary. This is why I have been leaning toward Rutgers, but I know their outlook on jobs is not nearly as great. Tough decisions ahead.

Sweetlady75

New

Post by Sweetlady75 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:50 pm

So you think NYU at sticker is worth it? (even thought it's not really an option at the moment) I have been leaning toward Rutgers due to the low tuition..

Sweetlady75

New

Post by Sweetlady75 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:56 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:

What kind of firm is this? If it is a large firm, don't count on her being able to help you even if she seems optimistic. There are probably dozens, if not hundreds, of relatives and family friends who attend law schools and know partners at various firms. What you should do is ask her if you could get a paralegal job and then study for the LSAT while working.

You need to retake. You won't take one year off to study for a damn test but you'll plop down 250K for schools with bad prospects? It makes no sense.
It has about 100 attorneys...

I hear you guys on the re-take... I knew most would be saying that..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Sweetlady75 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:

Hmmm. i will have to give this alot of thought. I do understand your point though b/c the thought of paying all of that money in tuition even with NYU's job prospects, is quite scary. This is why I have been leaning toward Rutgers, but I know their outlook on jobs is not nearly as great. Tough decisions ahead.

I'm doing the same thing as I type this. Don't sell yourself and your future short. A few point increase could mean tens of thousands of dollars. Maybe your best has yet to come. Good luck!

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:18 pm

Rutgers. Best bargain out there.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:32 pm

NewYorkL wrote:Rutgers. Best bargain out there.
After you consider the job prospects, not really.

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:01 am

rad lulz wrote:

If LST is the Bible we should all follow, then my statement seems reasonable. Rutgers has an employment score of 54.4% to Fordham's 57.5%. A 3% difference and 100k cheaper sounds like a bargain to me. This is of course considering NYU is off the table.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:02 am

NewYorkL wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

If LST is the Bible we should all follow, then my statement seems reasonable. Rutgers has an employment score of 54.4% to Fordham's 57.5%. A 3% difference and 100k cheaper sounds like a bargain to me. This is of course considering NYU is off the table.
Fordham is also a bad call dood

cmon

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:05 am

Sweetlady75 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
Sweetlady75 wrote:

It has about 100 attorneys...

I hear you guys on the re-take... I knew most would be saying that..
Yeah this isn't going to happen. Sorry to burst your bubble but these situations are common. If large firms hired every family friend or distant relative of a partner there would be no room in the summer class. Don't take out any debt on that promise for a bunch of reasons I won't bore you with.

See if she'll help you get a paralegal gig and work for a few years while retaking. Worst case scenario you get into the same schools and save some $$$.
Last edited by timbs4339 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:06 am

Sweetlady75 wrote:

So you think NYU at sticker is worth it? (even thought it's not really an option at the moment) I have been leaning toward Rutgers due to the low tuition..
NYU at sticker would make me nervous, but it would be several orders of magnitude better than your current options.

NewYorkL

Bronze

Post by NewYorkL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:08 am

rad lulz wrote:
NewYorkL wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Fordham is also a bad call dood

cmon

I agree. I'm just saying I agree with the following assessment.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”