Help! CA Student, Hastings v Loyola Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Big Dog

Silver

Re: Help! CA Student, Hastings v Loyola

Post by Big Dog » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:49 pm

You might be being too pessimistic about USC and UCLA.

1.) Very few people pay sticker here
2.) They have >20% big law alone
And yes, #2 is correct. At sticker, less than 1/5th of the student population will graduate with enough income to pay off that debt. Now here is the connection: the OP is seriously considering sticker at Hastings or Loyola. If the top SoCal schools have a ~20% Big Law rate, then Loyola HAS to be worse. (I'm too lazy to look it up.) So, Loyola at sticker, perhaps 10% have a chance at a job to pay down that debt.

Really dumb move.

peeonyou

New

Post by peeonyou » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:32 pm

Big Dog wrote:

And yes, #2 is correct. At sticker, less than 1/5th of the student population will graduate with enough income to pay off that debt. Now here is the connection: the OP is seriously considering sticker at Hastings or Loyola. If the top SoCal schools have a ~20% Big Law rate, then Loyola HAS to be worse. (I'm too lazy to look it up.) So, Loyola at sticker, perhaps 10% have a chance at a job to pay down that debt.

Really dumb move.
But 1.) you need to add clerkships to the USC/UCLA figures.

2.) If it was 20% that's abnormally low for these 2 schools, and not reflective of future years.

3.) You don't need 160k or even 125k to service 200k in debt long term. Anything 80k+ is manageable. Not ideal, but manageable.

4.) These schools in particular would have people who go for atypical paths outside of law, because of LA.

I just have trouble believing USC/UCLA = Cardozo or even Fordham.

They're not great at sticker, but you aren't an idiot to consider them.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:35 pm

peeonyou wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

Really dumb move.
But 1.) you need to add clerkships to the USC/UCLA figures.

2.) If it was 20% that's abnormally low for these 2 schools, and not reflective of future years.

3.) You don't need 160k or even 125k to service 200k in debt long term. Anything 80k+ is manageable. Not ideal, but manageable.

4.) These schools in particular would have people who go for atypical paths outside of law, because of LA.

I just have trouble believing USC/UCLA = Cardozo or even Fordham.

They're not great at sticker, but you aren't an idiot to consider them.
lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”