Got my affirmation Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Got my affirmation

Post by fruitoftheloom » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:16 pm

Thanks for the advice guys!
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Re: Need some affirmation

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:27 pm

I would say take NW at 30K and don't look back unless CLS or NYU give you a lot of money, but the one thing I am unsure about is how the AJD affects employment prospects. In particular, if you want big law (although you don't need it with that debt and if your connections can get you a job and you would be satisfied with that, then this concern is moot, I guess), when do you SA? Or do you just get hired without SAing? Is the AJD's program's placement on par with the three-year program's? Are you being compared to the three-year students GPA-wise who don't have to take as many credits, or are you just curved against and compared to the other AJD students? I am not familiar with the program, so sorry if these potential concerns are not issues.

Even with all those questions, I pretty much feel you can't go wrong with NW for 30K unless you have a really good job now where it would be a big fail to leave it and end up making 50K after law school..then some of those other questions might matter more.

ETA: how tiny is tiny? If there is a curve, a small class is a concern because curves don't work as well with small numbers of students...much more room for randomness in a process that is already pretty random...or are you mixed in with regular students in big classes and curved with them?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:29 pm

I'm with you, this seems like the smarter choice.

But more importantly, you totally named your thread correctly. Everyone wants affirmation, not advice, and yet so few people make that clear.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:50 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: TL;DR: Attending X at this price is more rational than attending Y @ sticker, or Z with $130k in debt, right?
Affirmed. Congrats on the great situation you have put yourself in!

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:40 pm

cinephile wrote:I'm with you, this seems like the smarter choice.

But more importantly, you totally named your thread correctly. Everyone wants affirmation, not advice, and yet so few people make that clear.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:03 pm

NU is clearly the way to go here, especially since you don't want biglaw.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:06 pm

I came in here to shit on you specifically because you wanted affirmation. But I have to affirm.

NU AJD is worth more than CLS at sticker and NYU (even if you get a small scholarship). If you are even thinking of practicing at a small firm, you want to go low debt. And going to CLS or NYU won't help you with people who already got your back.

The job prospects aren't that different. The only real downside is that you have to bid OCI blind, but you can bid smart anyway.

They'd do an SA the exact same anyone does. Summer before their 3L.

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Re: Got my affirmation

Post by fruitoftheloom » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Thanks for the comments / affirmation. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not being an idiot or failing to consider something hugely important. I have seen the other threads here - I'm pretty sure that even though I just wanted affirmation, someone would have screamed RETAKE if I were being an idiot.

eav1277

Bronze

Re: Got my affirmation

Post by eav1277 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:28 pm

Goodluck. Btw, love/am totally grossed out by your tar at the same time :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”