Emory scholly v. T14 sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
weye

New

Emory scholly v. T14 sticker

Post by weye » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:37 pm

Full tuition+stipend at Emory versus T14 at sticker or very little aid. Thoughts?

BruceWayne

Gold

Re: Emory scholly v. T14 sticker

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:40 pm

That's a really tough and complicated question. Where are you from? Where are you interested in working? What top 14 schools are we talking? Do you want to work at a big firm? More details are needed.

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:41 pm

All things equal (as you've presented them), I think the easy answer is T14.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:45 pm

FattyMcFatFat wrote:All things equal (as you've presented them), I think the easy answer is T14.
Hell no that's not the easy answer; unless the top 14 is one of HYS. Other than that more details are needed.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:48 pm

FattyMcFatFat wrote:All things equal (as you've presented them), I think the easy answer is T14.
You're out of your mind.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gguuueessttt

Bronze

Post by gguuueessttt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:49 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Hell no unless the top 14 is one of HYS. Other than that more details are needed.
If he wants to go into big law I think t14 is the better choice (he'll be able to pay back loans in ~5 years). If he wants to go into public service or something else that has a lower salary, then the Emory scholly might be the better choice.

weye

New

Post by weye » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:49 pm

BruceWayne wrote:That's a really tough and complicated question. Where are you from? Where are you interested in working? What top 14 schools are we talking? Do you want to work at a big firm? More details are needed.
I'm from the Northeast but did my undergrad in the South. I'm applying to all the T14 except HY and NU. I expect to get MVP down. I ultimately want to pursue PI but considering that jobs are hard to come by and that firm experience is valuable, I'd likely shoot for a big firm out of law school. Also worth noting is that the Emory scholly seems to be a networking vehicle that may improve job prospects. For the record, this is largely hypothetical, but I appreciate the response.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:52 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Hell no unless the top 14 is one of HYS. Other than that more details are needed.
If he wants to go into big law I think t14 is the better choice (he'll be able to pay back loans in ~5 years). If he wants to go into public service or something else that has a lower salary, then the Emory scholly might be the better choice.

oh dear.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:56 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
This assumes that he'll get biglaw out of the top 14. If he doesn't get HYS his chances of getting biglaw are not anywhere near high enough to just automatically pick a top 14 over Emory for free + stipend.

weye wrote: I'm from the Northeast but did my undergrad in the South. I'm applying to all the T14 except HY and NU. I expect to get MVP down. I ultimately want to pursue PI but considering that jobs are hard to come by and that firm experience is valuable, I'd likely shoot for a big firm out of law school. Also worth noting is that the Emory scholly seems to be a networking vehicle that may improve job prospects. For the record, this is largely hypothetical, but I appreciate the response.
You still haven't mentioned exactly where you want to work. Right now I'm leaning Emory from what you've said.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FattyMcFatFat

Bronze

Post by FattyMcFatFat » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:57 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Hell no that's not the easy answer; unless the top 14 is one of HYS. Other than that more details are needed.
I agree. I shouldn't have said the "easy" answer. But I stand by the rest. All things equal, I think the T14 (which could've included one of HYS for all we knew at the beginning of the thread) is the correct choice.
Last edited by FattyMcFatFat on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gguuueessttt

Bronze

Post by gguuueessttt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:59 pm

justonemoregame wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

oh dear.

how constructive.

weye

New

Post by weye » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:01 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
This assumes that he'll get biglaw out of the top 14. If he doesn't get HYS his chances of getting biglaw are not anywhere near high enough to just automatically pick a top 14 over Emory for free + stipend.

weye wrote: I'm from the Northeast but did my undergrad in the South. I'm applying to all the T14 except HY and NU. I expect to get MVP down. I ultimately want to pursue PI but considering that jobs are hard to come by and that firm experience is valuable, I'd likely shoot for a big firm out of law school. Also worth noting is that the Emory scholly seems to be a networking vehicle that may improve job prospects. For the record, this is largely hypothetical, but I appreciate the response.
You still haven't mentioned exactly where you want to work. Right now I'm leaning Emory from what you've said.
I'd be equally happy in, and have ties to, NY and ATL, and have some ties to DC as well.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:03 pm

weye wrote:I'd be equally happy in, and have ties to, NY and ATL, and have some ties to DC as well.
Go to Emory unless you get into one of HYS.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:06 pm

oh dear.[/quote]

how constructive.[/quote]

Telling someone to eat 200K+ because they will (definitely) be able to pay their loans back in 5lol years isn't constructive.

gguuueessttt

Bronze

Post by gguuueessttt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:08 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
weye wrote:I'd be equally happy in, and have ties to, NY and ATL, and have some ties to DC as well.
I don't know, if I were him I'd go to CCN over Emory scholly. His chances of getting a big law job at CCN are way higher, so this decision can largely impact his career. And if he does get biglaw, he can pay back loans in around 5 years (less if he's really dedicated). I wouldn't rank the Emory scholly higher than going to a T6 school.

gguuueessttt

Bronze

Post by gguuueessttt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:10 pm

justonemoregame wrote:
Telling someone to eat 200K+ because they will (definitely) be able to pay their loans back in 5lol years isn't constructive.
If he gets biglaw he can easily pay back loans in 5 years if he's willing to live on a fairly low take-home income. It isn't that difficult for people in the T6 to get biglaw jobs (and it's at the very least way easier than it is for people who go to Emory). I was giving him an answer to his question so I found it fairly constructive, at least compared to your "lololol oh dear heheh"

ETA: I would recommend going to Emory with a full scholly if the other choices are all below T6.
Last edited by gguuueessttt on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:10 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:

Is it honestly likely that someone would have the stats to get emory for free but no money at a T14? This answer obviously comes down to the T14 and how much $ at Emory.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:15 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
I don't know, if I were him I'd go to CCN over Emory scholly. His chances of getting a big law job at CCN are way higher, so this decision can largely impact his career. And if he does get biglaw, he can pay back loans in around 5 years (less if he's really dedicated). I wouldn't rank the Emory scholly higher than going to a T6 school.
If you're below median at "CCN" you are in serious jeopardy of not getting biglaw (i.e. half of the class). Not getting biglaw with CCN sticker debt is a very difficult financial situation. Further, OP says that he has a strong interest in PI and no preference between Atlanta, NY, and DC. For someone who wants PI going to school for free + stipend is especially great. And since he said he has no preference between NY, DC, and Atlanta, going to CCN for sticker isn't worth it to get the leg up on NYC/DC PI jobs. Non HYS top 14 doesn't give the OP anything special that he wants. Especially not for 250K + in debt.
Last edited by BruceWayne on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:16 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:
If he gets biglaw he can easily pay back loans in 5 years. It isn't that hard for people in the T6 to get biglaw jobs. I was giving him an answer to his question so I found it fairly constructive, at least compared to your "lololol oh dear heheh"

ETA: I would recommend going to Emory with a full scholly if the other choices are all below T6.
Have you ever written a budget?

gguuueessttt

Bronze

Post by gguuueessttt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:26 pm

justonemoregame wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:
Telling someone to eat 200K+ because they will (definitely) be able to pay their loans back in 5lol yearsisn't constructive. hehehe lol i never said that it was definite I said it would be more likelylol
If he gets biglaw he can easily pay back loans in 5 years. It isn't that hard for people in the T6 to get biglaw jobs. I was giving him an answer to his question so I found it fairly constructive, at least compared to your "lololol oh dear heheh"

Have you ever written a budget?
Yes. What is your point?

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:34 pm

I'd love to see that easy breezy 5-year payment sked with your T-6 at sticker debt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gguuueessttt

Bronze

Post by gguuueessttt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:37 pm

justonemoregame wrote:I'd love to see that easy breezy 5-year payment sked with your T-6 at sticker debt.
It was discussed here and a couple other places that I can't find right now but I'll try to. I think the consensus is that it's very easy to pay back loans in 10 years, and reasonably easy to pay back in 5 years if you're willing to have a lower take-home income. Personally, I won't have kids and I'll be living with my boyfriend who makes a lot of money so 5 years will be relatively easy for me if I get a job in big law. But even if it's not super easy for everyone, it's definitely doable and (IMO) not worth giving up a T6 reputation for an Emory scholly.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:39 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:I'd love to see that easy breezy 5-year payment sked with your T-6 at sticker debt.
It was discussed here and a couple other places that I can't find right now but I'll try to. I think the consensus is that it's very easy to pay back loans in 10 years, and reasonably easy to pay back in 5 years if you're willing to have a lower take-home income. Personally, I won't have kids and I'll be living with my boyfriend who makes a lot of money so 5 years will be relatively easy for me if I get a job in big law. But even if it's not super easy for everyone, it's definitely doable and (IMO) not worth giving up a T6 reputation for an Emory scholly.
Unless you're BruceWayne and wildly assume Emory is free for the sake of taking another opportunity to shit on the T14

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:46 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
Something like 75 percent of biglaw associates don't make it past three years of biglaw

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:50 pm

weye wrote:I'd likely shoot for a big firm out of law school.
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=emory&show=ABA

Chances are a retake is in order here. Even if you don't retake, there will likely be decent middle options between T14 sticker and Emory full ride.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”